I hope vassals in EU4 are more like vassals in CK2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

beckdawg

First Lieutenant
45 Badges
Aug 28, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
In EU3 once someone is your vassal they become a slave of sorts. Generally speaking they can never get out from under your thumb as they pay tribute to you and you were already big enough to take them down. There are exceptions of course with Sweden and Brandenburg usually revolting but generally speaking once they are a vassal they stay that way.

What I like about vassals in CK2 is 2 things. #1, you have to keep them some what happy. You bring them into too many wars they they will revolt. #2, they are more useful. Vassal will actually try to take land that they feel is their land which can also lead to #1 if they get too big. There is often times where a vassal of yours has a claim on some province but you can't easily integrate it into your realm because you as the superior in the relationship don't have a claim.

Another area that is interesting in CK2 is being able to raise troops from the vassals. I'm not sure how that model would work with EU's gameplay model. But, it would be nice if you had a little more control over where your vassals(and allies for that matter) attacked. Often times a bunch of smaller allied nations will have 2-3k troops and wont attack a siege of 7-8k even though the group is 10k or more. Perhaps more goal oriented wars like CK2 has for land would help with that. For example, why do you need to occupy half of the Mamluks when all you're really after is Alexandria? I think CK2 does that really well and hope to see a similar system in EU4.

Perhaps more goal oriented wars like CK2 has for land would help with that. For example, why do you need to occupy half of the Mamluks when all you're really after is Alexandria? I think CK2 does that really well and hope to see a similar system in EU4.

I'd be very surprised if CK2's ticking goal-based warscore system isn't in EU4 in some form. Ticking warscore is a great concept and whoever created it deserves some sort of medal.