• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(595811)

Recruit
1 Badges
Nov 12, 2012
  • Magicka
Hi,

I have purchased Magicka on Steam and have had it running on Win XP for ages. I have now purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 and the installer crashes immediately upon starting.

I am a professional games developer and as Magicka is written in XNA I have installed a number of XNA libraries manually. I tried installing .Net 3.5 and 3.5 compact, which didn't help. I then installed the full XNA SDK and that didn't fix the issue either.

I also went directly to the .exe on the disc and set the compability mode and ran the exe as administrator. I selected Windows 7, Vista, XP and none of these modes made it work.

Do you have any ideas on what I need to do to fix the installer for the game, or does Arrowhead need to patch the installer?

Thanks.

OK, I worked it out eventually.

You need to go to your install directory, mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Magicka\Dependencies\ and run xnafx31_redist

That seems to fix the issue.

Thanks

I actually wondered about this recently, since I had a similar problem after switching to Windows 8 (I performed an upgrade from XP). Glad to see you already found a solution, thanks!