• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheLoneGunman

NO STEP ON SNEK
167 Badges
May 4, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 200k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Empire of Sin
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
Torn Between the States - A Joint AACW AAR

civilwarsoldiers2.jpg

Featuring: TheLoneGunman (CSA)
Jarkko Suvinen (USA)

Welcome. This AAR will serve as a way for myself and for Jarkko to share our experiences playing AGEOD's American Civil War in a PBEM style match up. The intention is to have a public AAR that trails behind the actual events of the game by a few turns so as not to divulge any crucial information to each other, and to present the events in a unique story-telling environment. I hope you will enjoy it!

Table of Contents
Early April, 1861 (TLG)
Early April, 1861 (Jarkko)
Late April, 1861 (Jarkko)
Late April, 1861 (TLG)
Early May, 1861 (TLG)
Early May, 1861 (Jarkko)
Late May, 1861 (Jarkko)
Early June, 1861 (Jarkko)
Late June, 1861 (TLG)
Late June, 1861 (Jarkko)
Early July, 1861 (TLG)
Early July, 1861 (Jarkko)

Last edited:
Early April, 1861

newspaper1.png

letter1.png

Dearest Anna Lee,

Words cannot express the longing in my heart to be with you once again. I hope you've made it to Richmond safely, and that this letter finds you in good spirits. Now that Virginia has seceded, the governor has been calling for all able-bodied men to come and join the militia. Rumor has it that the North is raising an army to march down here to take away our lands. I can't let that happen, I hope you understand. We've assembled our own brigade from all the locals here in Winchester, and have heard reports that the Yankees are just to our north at Harper's Ferry. Our commanders haven't told us much, so we have just been passing the time cleaning our muskets and waiting. I promise I will write to you further once I find out more.

Yours Truly,
Private Edward C. Smith, Winchester Brigade, Virginia Militia

Subscribed. I'm looking forward to this -- nice graphics to start out!

Death the seccessionists! Long live the Union!

Sign me up! I'm very glad to see an AACW AAR on the forum.

KMeBf.jpg

April 17 1861, Burtlett NY

Here it all begins. President Lincoln called for volunteers to protect the Union. This is the moment I have been waiting for! Oh to have been borne when seemingly nothing ever happens, and now this! This is the adventure I have been waiting for!

Mother was weeping when I told I had signed in as a volunteer. Father did not speak anything. Then he stood up, took his Colt Dragoon from the drawer, handed it to me saying "Son, if you go to war, you need a gun." Then he shook my hand. It was a very memorable moment, even though it is not to war I am going.

My older brothers say I am a young fool, but what do they know? They have their own lives already, wifes and children; they never had the soul of an adventurer!

Uncle Bob told me to write a book of this adventure. Mother was furious at him when she heard the words. I shall write a book, perhaps it will become as famous as "Uncle Tom’s Cabin" when I write of all the crimes the slavers and secessionists have committed. Somebody has to tell the tale, and that somebody could very well be me.

I always wondered why AACW, which is the most popular AGEOD game so far, had no AAR here. Mystery solved the efficient way :)

Also, the presentation is intriguing...

Interesting. I shall be following.

Late April, 1861

letter2f.png

Dearest Anna Lee,

It warms my heart to know that you are well. On April the Fifteenth we were finally given our marching orders. It seems that the Yankees truly mean to fight a war with us, as the men here have heard that Lincoln has reinforced Fort Sumter and is calling for volunteers to fight against us. Yankee warships intrude freely into South Carolinian waters, it's only a matter of time now before Yankee soldiers are trying to pillage Virginia. I don't want you to worry, you will be safe in Richmond. The city is being defended by General G. T. Beauregard and his Army of the Potomac. I will write again shortly.

Yours Truly,
Private Edward C. Smith
Winchester Brigade, Virginia Militia

Long live the Confederacy, Death to the Lincolnite Invaders and raise the Black Flag. No quarter to the violators of our homes and firesides!

Early May, 1861

diary1.png

May 7th, 1861

The 33rd Virginia has joined the Shenandoah Force commanded by General Joe Johnston. General Jackson addressed the entire regiment just yesterday, he told us to stay strong and be ready for the Yankee invaders. We are just north of the Strasburg Depot now waiting for the rest of our reserves to arrive. In the meantime there is plenty of work to be done, digging trenches and setting up emplacements for the artillery that is trickling in. I wish Sam was here, last I saw of him was when we started arguing about going to war. Pa tells me after our fight he ran off to enlist with the Yankees. He sent a letter home the other day saying he was up by Baltimore. I should have whipped him good when I had the chance. He should have listened to me right and proper instead of spouting off that crazy drivel that fool Lincoln has been serving up. If he knows what's good for them, he'll tell those Union boys to stay the hell out of Virginia.

Cpl. Robert T. Jenkins
33rd Virginia Infantry
Company E
May 17th, 1861

We've heard word that the scoundrel Lincoln has set up a blockade of the entire South. President Davis has put the entire Confederacy on alert. We are hearing rumors in camp that we could be moving out any day now. One of the privates in the company told me his family near Richmond says that the Army of the Potomac is itching for a fight. Pa hasn't heard of Sam since his last letter. There has been no fighting as of yet, so I can say with confidence Sam hasn't gotten himself shot, but it worries me that he ain't writing home no more. Probably too busy trying to blend in with the Northern folk and all of their nonsense. Things are going to be getting ugly real soon. The papers are saying that the Yankees are pressing people into service town by town by having all the young men draw numbers. It ain't enough that they have to cause trouble for the South, now they have to drag men that want no part of their war into this mess.

Cpl. Robert T. Jenkins
33rd Virginia Infantry
Company E

CPjWZ.jpg

May 3 1861, Syracuse, NY

Matt signed in too, so we are in all five from Burtlett who joined in. It wasn't easy for Matt, both his mother and his fiance Jenny did their utmost to prevent him from signing. It is good to have him along, it is not one or two times we have in the past went adventuring together, even though the past winter we weren't together that much. And yet, we still both burst to immediate laughter when somebody innocently mentions in same sentence "mrs. Jackson" and "cat", which has resulted in many peculiar looks thrown our way.

Matt told he had heard there there will be drafted soldiers coming in to the camp too . I don't quite understand all this. Why the need for drafted troops? I have heard there are waves and waves of volunteers waiting to be transported to Alexandria where general MacDowell is with his army preparing to march south. Why are we sitting up here north, all the action will be over before we get anywhere! Why are we not just taking the train to Richmond and be done with it?

hFM6U.jpg

JYvhA.jpg

May 16 1861, Syracuse, NY

We are finally off tomorrow! We are packing up, and we shall mount trains early tomorrow morning. Richmond isn't yet taken, so I will hopefully get there in time to see some action. There are rumours Johnny Reb has mustered an army, and this is why general MacDowell hasn't yet moved to Richmond. What ever the reason is, I am happy all the action is not over yet, else all this would have been silly just like my brothers said.

The St.Louis situation sounds odd. What are the secessionists thinking, attacking Union troops like that? Good thing Nathaniel Lyon was there to save the day! The news paper told the Habeas Corpus are suspended in Missouri for the time being, that does sound bad. At least it is not the same as in Maryland, where martial law is in effect. Hopefully these limiations on the rights will let people see the light of sanity and disregard in the future the ramblings of the rebels.

Well-presented AAR, should be interesting to see how a human-to-human American Civil War turns out. I shall endeavor to follow these completely impartial reportings from both sides of the conflict. ;)

NmTBN.jpg

June 12 1861, Alexandria, VA

The past weeks have been something I never could have dreamed of. This has already been quite an adventure, but nothing like the adventure I thought this would be. Seeing that Lowe Balloon high in the air is something I would never have seen back home.
But down here everything is in chaos. After we arrived everything has been a compelte mess. My backpack got lost when we had to leave the station on the double. First we camped in tents near the station, then we marched over to 5th Division but that was apparently an error, now after a few days we are again in tents outside the station. I'll never forget my suprise when in the tent of my squad my backpack was right there in the corner. Nobody knows where the backpack arrived from, but I am happy as I got back this diary.
Johnny Reb is said to be furious after the Union boys from Tuscon drove the rebels out of Dallas in Texas. One for the Union! I wish we would get to our part too soon.
There are rumours we will be sent off to Harpers Ferry, yet other ruomours say we are to be transfered to Annapolis and shipped to the Penninsula. It is a wonder if there is anybody who knows what is going on in this chaotic myriad of men. I for one hope we are on to Richmond!

Late June, 1861

gks2154007v.png

Dearest Anna Lee,

It has been months since I've laid eyes upon your beauty. The Union armies are positioning themselves to attempt a march into Virginia. We mean to seize Norfolk soon and then head north to support the Army of the Potomac. I've heard that Winchester is now on the front line of the conflict as well. We cannot allow the Yankees to breach our defenses there or anywhere else. I've heard that our troops out West are having a much tougher time. Do not fret for my safety my love, we are forming an impenetrable wall that shall deter the Yankees from even considering an attack. Norfolk will soon be ours and in South Carolina, the Union troops holding out at ---- Sumter are running out of supplies. If we are to lose this war, rest assured it will be Virginia that fights to the last man before any other. I may not be able to write again for some time, keep me and the men of the Militia in your prayers my dear.

Yours Truly,
Private Edward C. Smith, Winchester Brigade, Virginia Militia