• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1.1 version uploaded.

The new nice thing are:
- the province name / ID overlay which allows for quick lookup for province IDs
- ability to export the whole map to a file

which means it very easy to create an ID map like below
ID map

Complete changelog:
- AAR files now contain a "header" table, specifying target game ("Darkest Hour") and mod's name
- AAR files created with other Companion program can't be opened with DH Companion
- map supports now display of province names and IDs
- it is now possible to export currently visible portion of the map or the whole map to an external file (PNG, JPEG or BMP)
- statistics table can now be exported to clipboard
- buttons in statistics tab are now properly enabled/disabled depending on context
- added a menu entry for displaying this changelog
- keyboard shortcuts added to DH Observer
- small performance fixes

Last edited:
Hi Bizon,

Thanks for making this tool, it's pretty much fantastic.

I have a question about "land divisions (total)". The number seem to be jumping pretty wildly from one month to another. Here's an example with the major countries of the 1914 scenario. Look at Russia (July to august) and Germany (August to September)

Germany is probably explained by the military control they get on AH. But that can't explain Russia. Maybe divisions in Strat. Redeployment are not counted ?

2uoqh.png

[ PS : I know you extract the data from the savegames, so that's no calculation mistake from your part. I'm simply hoping you know more than me how these numbers are computed]

By all means, you're right. From my quick glance at a savegame I make two omissions:
- for sure strat redeployment pool (divisions are stored not as "division" node under "landunit" node but rather as "landdivision" node, in case of land units);
- possibly units that are currently embarked (they are stored as "division" node under "landunit" node but it's one level deeper than usual, having in turn a "navalunit" node for transport vessel as parent).

I was busy lately with many things, mostly NWO2 and its linkup with AAR (and tinkering with importing Clausewitz engine maps which is an entirely new thing, as far as programming goes). But I'll make sure to fix it for 1.2 release!

:) Not that secret. The idea is: when coding DH Companion all the time I had a feeling that almost all of my work, with little modification, could work for every Paradox game. So why not write a similar single program to support all games at once. After all, things like troops placement, province ownership, provincial income, exist in each game (with similar representation in save games!). For Clausewitz games (EU3, HoI3, Vicky2, etc.) even map standard is not only unified but open. All those games hold their map data in BMP files which are infinitely easier to interpret than the old Europa Engine standard but it means I must write new code nevertheless. I did some early coding and I still have to align terrain data with provinces (in EU3 one province has more than one terrain type) which means a little more fuss with delving into BMP byte array structure. Not difficult but new to me anyway.

And I played a with my parser a bit more and made it fully multi-threaded (.NET 4 makes it wonderfully simple). On my computer I cut a typical savegame parsing time from 2.8 s to around 1.0 s. How satisfying :)

But let's not get carried away, I'll still have a lot to do with NWO2, The Grand Campaign and DHC will also see some progress. So it's rather a distant year 2013 idea :)

Sorry, nothing about your Companion, just a question about something totally different.

Old event files where the "text" is still in the actual event, and not off in a file in the config folder.
Lots of old mods are still in this state of play.

With you being a real programmer, you could probably do this "on the fly" while watching tv? I mean easy peasy to do?
Mods like Mod33 French Translation and RDD come to mind. I did a lot of work on the RDD events (aregorn etc) but DH1.03 then put the event's text in the config folder and not in the event file. There are 1000's of RDD events!!

Would it be possible for you to consider the issue and maybe produce a little ditty to solve the problem?:huh:

I haven't used the companion yet, but the colours you use are lovely.

novapaddy, some things that seems easy to do really are (often deceiptevely), some aren't and I'm far from being professional programmer. But you mentioned one task that I could really accomplish fast :) I'll have a couple of spare days after Christmas so I'll give it a go.

novapaddy, some things that seems easy to do really are (often deceiptevely), some aren't and I'm far from being professional programmer. But you mentioned one task that I could really accomplish fast :) I'll have a couple of spare days after Christmas so I'll give it a go.

I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to give it a go Bizon. It would be a godsend if you can get it to work.

Happy Christmas!

novapaddy, I think I managed to code the program you asked for, I told you it's not difficult :) I'm still reshuffling my uploads, will post it in the following days.

Arturius, I see that Christmas went by and you got no present! Looking at the HoI3PosEd, it might be a present but for the next Christmas, no sooner ;) OK, I'm joking. mumia asked me about writing a program for editing province.csv file and I'm slowly getting towards beginning that project :)

And I spent some time with DH Companion too, here's the result:
dhc_12.png

I threw in a couple of diplomatic modes (here are shown puppets, colored the same as their overlords on the political map), added a diplomatic overview for selected country and fixed divisions from strategic redeployment pool not being counted towards div count. I still have to add the option for displaying data in a cumulative way or not and I'll post the new version.

Then I'll contemplate a couple of little interface tweaks and we'll be all set.

Arturius, I see that Christmas went by and you got no present! Looking at the HoI3PosEd, it might be a present but for the next Christmas, no sooner ;) OK, I'm joking. mumia asked me about writing a program for editing province.csv file and I'm slowly getting towards beginning that project :)

That sounds great. Your work is becoming invaluable!

1.2 released:

- added several new diplomatic map modes
- added diplomatic overview of a selected country
- changed various window metrics
- current map mode name is displayed now in the window title
- "show cumulative data" option restricts casualties data to the current month only
- division in redeployment pool and on transport vessels now count towards divisions amount of each country

I want to report a (not very important) bug: in DHObserver, if you enter the settings dialog and leave the savegame path empty, either if you press OK or CANCEL an un-handled exception is thrown. I've not the screenshot, but in details there's something similar to "invalid path".
I tried it at the first run, so there's no previously set path for savegame.

Hi Bizon, I've a problem with DHObserver.
I set the "autosave path" in config section to "C:\Giochi\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\scenarios\save games\autosave.eug" (also checked in settings.xml file to be sure the path has been set correctly and DHObserver is running (green text at the bottom of window), but still it's unable to register data.
Main window remains empty and if I save AAR file, a 174kb file is created. Loading it into DHCompanion causes an "index out of bound" error.

Autosave file is changing (last edited data changes regularly).
I'm using version 1.2 of both Observer and Companion.

Another strange thing I noticed is that the "export current view to file" exports a very small part of the displayed view.

Last edited:
A suggestion/request: can you make the red bordered area smaller (or resizable)? The reason is that on smaller resolution (1366x768) the orange bordered area is not completely visible (the "value" line is hidden).

Last edited:
Thanks arl for all the reports and suggestions!

The first and the last thing are of course easy and I'll correct it quickly. The same with "Export current view" thing - I reproduced it and it extracts image of correct dimensions but starting at top-left absolute map origin rather than the top-left corner of the current viewport.

The problem with monitoring the autosave file will be probably harder to catch but I'll try to find what may cause it. I tested Observer with longer savegame much less than importing single savegames, due to lack of time, so something must've slipped through.

EDIT: BTW, did I post somewhere about the "/debug" switch or did you stumbled upon it yourself? :) I doesn't do too many wonders in the public releases so it's almost an Easter egg.