Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 8 - With God on Your Side?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
guess there will be a whole new DD about stability and such...

one question: is the importance of Religion going to decline over time as the game progresses towards the Age of Enlightenment? will there be some mechanics/events or anything else modelling that?

EDIT: nah, seems I write my questions a bit slower than I should :)

At least we have some solid signs that there are some more fundamental changes in stability. Looking forward to hearing more of it.

Johan, are morale reduction and higher revolt risk the only bad effects for impious muslim nations? Right now, it sounds like the best way to go is impiety, if it gets your tech-speed high.

Also, better taxation and more manpower do not sound like impiety to me, I wonder what you guys are simulating with that bonus.. As far as I know, there were no 'mosque taxes', and religious zeal played an important role in recruiting peasants.

Are Ottomans going to get some kind of 'Decadence' effect when they overextend themselves? There are historians who argue that Ottoman decline was brought on by decadence, narrowmindedness AND impiety; in addition to the rise of Russia and Habsburgs.

Also, better taxation and more manpower do not sound like impiety to me, I wonder what you guys are simulating with that bonus..

Better taxation = you tax everyone heavily, not just infidels.

Truth be told there was nothing wrong with the reformation in Eu3, it just proved to be a tad bland at times. It was still perfectly functional in its vanilla state...

It worked, but... I don't know. About the only thing so far that has disappointed me about EU4 is the fact that the reformation is the same as previously. I always found it fairly underwhelming.

In general I love simplification, but I was hoping that you would move back to one toleration score per religion. The Catholics tolerated Orthodox better than Protestantism, and even when the Catholics and Protestants started to tolerate each other Reformed still wasn't tolerated. Each religion should have to fight for its toleration.

I think the problem with the reformation is that you got one giant flavour filled event pop-up detailing that the reformation is here, and that's the last you hear of it. There are events where provinces flip to Protestantism or Reformed, but those happen quietly unless they're happening to you. There should be "major" DHEs that happen to all Christians in Europe which talk about the development of the reformation. Give the player a story to follow.

Are Ottomans going to get some kind of 'Decadence' effect when they overextend themselves? There are historians who argue that Ottoman decline was brought on by decadence, narrowmindedness AND impiety; in addition to the rise of Russia and Habsburgs.

But how would you define decadence in game terms? This does deserve some consideration.

Overextension was one reason, but the growth of the Janissary faction, and transformation from eliete corps to military-beaurocratic upper class was also one of the reasons efficient governing was most difficult.

Also a thing bothers me - if attacking other Muslim rulers makes you less pious, and battling heretics and infidels makes you more pious, then the more you fight the Western powers, the slower your tech becomes? While conquering Iraq, the Araba Peninsula, Egypt and Northern Africa will increase your tech speed?

[B@W] Abominus;14531807 said:
Will it be possible to change some modifier like EU III or will we have to stay the same stiff system like the old EU II?

all should be 100% moddable.

Also a thing bothers me - if attacking other Muslim rulers makes you less pious, and battling heretics and infidels makes you more pious, then the more you fight the Western powers, the slower your tech becomes? While conquering Iraq, the Araba Peninsula, Egypt and Northern Africa will increase your tech speed?

After Ottomans won the battle of Marj-dabiq against the Mamluke army, Mamlukes complained that Ottomans were using cannons, and had beat them by cheating. Ottoman envoy replied with 'Fight fire with fire old chaps'.

That kinda makes sense, fighting in foreign parts causes ideas, techs, etc from those parts to be brought home and the influx of foreign ideas and loot invigorates and etc your scientists. Hence the Crusades setting off a golden age of progress in the high middle ages and the opening of trade and exploration did much the same in the EU3 era.
And from a game point of view, having incentive not to spend every moment fighting your neighbours then fighting other neighbours while waiting for the true with the first to wear off is always a good thing for game where wars not the focus like EU.

Also will religions just go by group like EU3? there be CK2 style parent religion definitions to allow for groups within groups.

Really like the different systems for the main religions.

On protestants: Sure the way it worked in EU3 worked well functionally, but it lacked any kind of flavour and immersion. No real wars of religion (whether in HRE or elsewhere, nationally or internationally) and nothing to simulate the chaotic way the protestant faiths were often first introduced country-wide (civil wars, major factional opposition and foreign threats) and the consequences (increase of royal income, power, or increase in noble power (at first no longer thought to be ruling "Dei Gratia")). In general, the transition from all the catholic dogmas, rules and traditions for everyday life where phased out with major societal change to follow - religion became an increasingly private thing (of course you still had to believe, but you gained the freedom to do it personally). Also the way the many new branches of protestant formed like sects in Switzerland (etc.) and throughout the end of the period. Flavour like that would be great in the game.

Also Gallicanism and a more fleshed out Counter-Reformation and Jesuit order would be cool for the catholic countries.