• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jedi72it

Second Lieutenant
98 Badges
Aug 15, 2008
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • BATTLETECH
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Impire
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Hi all,
as promised here are my impressions from the first 5 hours (straight) of playing, the tutorials and the first 30 min into High Pass mission:

ANTE
I am an avid fan of games like Dungeon keeper, managerials and RPG in general too, as you can probably imagine since i am here writing at the Paradox site :)
I was looking forward to play something like that, after so many years, and yes even some disappointing (like the Dungeons game...not really what i expected there...).
Having noticed this game, then, i must admit i was really excited and anxious at the same time, in a positive way.

INTRO AND THE MEETING WITH DWARF KING FATHER
The intro to this game is a hand crafted mini trip into the underground city ruled by the Dwarf King, our father, to his royal throne room, hailed by his royal guards in perfect sinchrony, military drill counts!!
The second intro, to the storyline of the campaign, is an interesting cartoon muppet creation (First Easter Egg ----> a mage spawns a X-Wing!!).

Having a high end pc with a GTX570, all played smoothly at 1680x1050, all options maxed.

At this point, at the very start of the campaign, at the end of the first cutscene, i had a problem, the game shut and the graphic driver stopped working.
Deep breath......restart from Steam.....restart campaign...all seems fine the second time....let's go on...or...deeper.

HOME FOR THE DWARVES
I watched many previews of the game, and i liked what i saw and eared.
On my pc the game looks even a lot better, with sharp colors and nice animations, the only scar being a little of screen tearing when moving the map.
The music is pure pleasure, relaxing even, perfect for the amusing environment (but treacherous as you dig).
Dwarves go without hesitation to their respective jobs, or to fulfill their basic needs, just keep an eye to missing stairs or blocked paths.
I didn't have problems related to pathing, at least for the first 10 levels down.
I had to teleport just the militia right on top of minions to do a quick job of them.

PERILS AHEAD

You can feel the danger lurking all around you (especially under your little hairy feet).
But don't worry, dwarves can protect themselves and their walls with cunning traps powered by generators).
(trap plans don't show the amount of power -50- needed, as the generators don't show the amount of power created, that is 50, so it can create confusion the first time you use them), maybe the devs can rewrite the item description a little clearer??

The cave is just earth and rubble when you first dig it.
Dwarves are not very happy about that, they need to feel solid stone around them.
And Ale in their mouths....
Materials are scarce in our coffers, we need to dig!!!!!!

This is the meat of this game, you feel the Need to Dig!!!
And Digging is Good here....

SO....
In the end, i like this game a lot!! :)
You have missions and side missions, and still you are free to expand as you see fit, limited only by the impassable blocks (and this was not a custom map...where you are really free).

This Game is a labour of Love, and you will Love it too.

Cris

Thanks for your impressions and your kind words. You sure know how to make an overworked developer proud!

We'll listen to your feedback, and will try to improve upon the issues you named. Happy digging!

The main menu is stuttering a bit, and the part where the King tells me I should prove myself. The text box is still 'typing' the text when it goes to the next textbox so I never get to see what they were actually saying.

The game itself runs very smooth, so no issues there.

Also, AWESOME intro.

Thanks Jedi for the feedback. For how long have you played the game sor far? I was excited too when I first started but after the 4th or 5th mission in the campaign (around 10 hours of playing) I started to be bored. I mean it seems that the gameplay is always the same and very basic, I didn't find any challenge or surprise, dig-find room-dig deeper, where is the strategy? And it takes a long time to finish every scenario but each time you start a 'new one' it's the same. Maybe I am wrong and there is something more interesting later but to be honest so far this game makes me the impression of a big balloon... full with emptiness :/

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd add my thoughts about AGOD to jedi72it's review above.

THIS ISN'T DWARF FORTRESS:
and so what? As much as I admire the concept of Dwarf Fortress, the simple truth is the implementation of DF can be outrageously complicated and is, in general, a bug infested mess. I'll admit that can be part of the fun, but I like the idea of a clearer, more relaxing, DEFINITELY more attractive game. You don't need to be genius to see that the Zeal guys tried to capture the essence of Dwarf Fortress but streamline things for the sake of simplicity and playability. In general I think they've succeeded. I just want a fun game to play...I'm not interested in making a career out of it, or being Toadie's beta tester fan-boy. AGOD gives me a very welcome break from all that.

SO WHAT WORKS?
  1. I like the graphics. My first impression was that all the art looked and felt too big, but as I've progressed through the game I can see that the larger scale of things allows for the detail on the sprites and artwork to shine though. Remember, the graphics were exactly what was missing from DF...skins or otherwise. AGOD artwork is fun and lighthearted. Some might object to the Disney-esque cartoon quality, but for me that's fun. Aesthetics are a pretty subjective thing afterall.
  2. It's intuitive, but I'll admit my DF experience seems to influence my ability to pick up this game and starting playing it right away. I suspect though that most won't have much trouble jumping in quickly whether they've played DF or not. Follow the recommendation to play the campaign from the beginning if you need something more like a tutorial (there is no formal tutorial in the game...or a manual for that matter).
  3. 3 dimensions FTW! It's SUCH a nice luxury to be able to experience everything in 3d...that was one of my biggest frustrations in DF. Even if you lovingly and carefully created a giant hall, you could never truly experience your creation. Now you can. That's awesome. Camera controls are easy and quick to master....so thanks for that.

AND WHAT WORKS LESS WELL?
  1. Ok I admit it...I miss some of the lush detail of DF. I'm still haunted by a DF experience where a mother's child died and came back to haunt her sending her into spasms of insanity. Creepy and cool all at the same time. You can be sure that isn't going to happen in AGOD. You can also be sure that little minutia details like a limp from an old injury or tracking family relationships or even just making babies isn't going to happen in AGOD. You also won't see excruciating detail like limbs shooting across the room in combat. But I get it...as great as those little details were, these were simply embellishments that distracted from more important things...like making a UI that actually makes sense.
  2. I also miss being able to craft specific items. A very deliberate decision was made here to simplify things but I miss the idea of dwarves actually crafting goods...to me that's an essential aspect of the dwarf ethos that got missed here. No need to build craft benches...build production chains of raw materials...all that...everything is just available from the menu.
  3. There is MUCH less threat from enemies in AGOD which takes away a lot of the strategic (and tactical) elements that were so fun is DF (loved building fortresses). It's honestly not clear to me why there is an above ground in AGOD...but perhaps I just need more time with the game to learn more about that.
  4. I miss glass as a building material! But again...maybe that emerges later and I just haven't seen it yet.
  5. OK i guess the mathematics and development effort behind implementing realistic hydro-dynamics and mechanics into a game forced Zeal to not include it here...but damn I miss that.

FINAL VERDICT:
I picked up this game off Amazon (which really became a Steam purchase) for 10 bucks. That is a great bargain in my mind. I've paid 4 times that amount for games I didn't enjoy half as much. Perhaps some might consider my persistent comparisons to Dwarf Fortress unfair...this is, afterall, a different game made by completely different people. But I think the relationship between the 2 games is pretty clear. AGOD runs well, looks great and will entertain you. For me, a game like this is about building cool spaces and I think this game is great at giving me the tools to do that. I highly recommend it as a lighthearted and fun gaming experience.

Last edited: