+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV – Development Diary 7 – And did those feet in ancient time....

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Europa Universalis IV – Development Diary 7 – And did those feet in ancient time....

“This England never did, nor never shall,
    Lie at the proud foot of a conqueror”

Welcome to the 7th development diary for Europa Universalis IV,
    where we talk about the dominant power by the end of the Europa Universalis time frame, the country formerly known as England.
    England can be considered both as one of the easier nations to play, but also one of the more challenging nations. That´s a paradox, you say?
    Well, it all depends on what you wish to accomplish and what kind of empire you want to create

The unique possibilities of England
    What truly makes England unique to play is that the country has natural borders protecting it and that you can strengthen those borders dramatically with rather cheap investments. You can decide to let England get involved in the continent, from a safe position, or choose to isolate England and go overseas. The country also sits on a bloody nice position to control the trade from the Baltic and from North America. So the options are huge for you to take England in plenty of directions when creating your empire.

England’s Dynamic Historical Events
    England is has one of the richest and best known histories. That may sound lovely for you guys, but it also means that we have had to work hard when it comes to decisions about historical events to include in Europa Universalis IV. The important countries in EU4 have a lot of events going on, so some of those major historical events have been turned into the starting points of large event chains that we call Dynamic Historical Events.

War of the Roses is an excellent example of Dynamic Historical Events. If England in the 15th century has a ruler without an heir, that means that there is a likelihood of a large event chain beginning. The player has to select who to back for the throne, York or Lancaster. This decision will throw the country into turmoil with various parts declaring for either the red or white rose, and you have to make sure to eliminate the very strong, rather resilient pretenders. What makes this interesting is that this event chain is not an event series that is guaranteed to come every time you play as England. It only occurs if all the necessary underlying factors are fulfilled. When it happens, you won't have planned for it to arrive on schedule, like many people did when they played Europa Universalis II, the last game in the series with a serious focus on historical events. We hope that this variation will gives you rather unique experiences when you play major powers.

The English Civil War will be another major event series that might encounter when you play as England, but we will not spoil it for you here yet.
    England also has many smaller DHE, like The War of Captain Jenkin's Ear: if they are rivals with Spain, after 1700, then you can get a casus belli on Spain. Or an event like The Muscovy Trade Company, where if you discover the sea route to Archangelsk, and its owned by the Muscovites, then there is a likelihood of this historical event happening.

England’s Missions & Decisions
    We have kept the historical missions that existed in Europa Universalis III and we are expanding them for Europa Universalis IV, so you'll still see missions to conquer Scotland and colonize North America. When it comes to decisions, England still manually have to rely on the Wooden Wall, and make Calais into a Staple Port.

England’s National Ideas
    The traditions that England starts with is a small boost in naval morale and a 5% boost to their trading efficiency.
    The trading efficiency boost is due to the fact that the economy of England to fund their participation in the Hundred Years War was their taxation of the very profitable wool trade.

The 7 National Ideas for England are:
    1. Royal Navy : 25% higher naval force limit, and +10% more combat power for big ships.
    2. Eltham Ordinance : +15% higher tax.
    3. Secretaries of State : +1 diplomat
    4. Navigation Acts : +10% trade income, and +10% more combat power for light ships.
    5. Bill of Rights : -1 revolt risk.
    6. Reform of Commission Buying : +10% discipline
    7. Sick and Hurt Board : -50% Naval Attrition.

Reward: English Ambition
    When England has gotten all seven of their National Ideas, they get the bonus of 'English Ambitions' which gives them a +100% on their embargo efficiency.

Here's a screenshot where I've cheated to show a little bit of the idea progress..

Click image for larger version

Name:	7.png
Views:	16709
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	65782

Welcome back next week, where we'll talk in detail about the enhancements we've done to the religious aspect of the game!
    Last edited by Regina; 19-10-2012 at 14:39.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMarch of the EaglesSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    War of the Roses500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Yes, awesome!

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Hmm, interesting. However, I am compelled to ask: Will Dev Diaries for individual countries be commonplace? Or will it be a mix? Or is this one simply an exception?
    "No matter how alone you feel, Dyranum is always there to point out how utterly terrible you are at spelling." —Shynka

Lanterfanter den Tweede Slak (primary), and Juriste Aléatoire (secondary) in Edge of Europe. Formerly Suive Opiniâtrement les Régles (retired), Officer Gun Gun (deceased), Deputy Lambin l'Escargot (deceased), Méfiezvous du Calembour (deceased), and Deputy Houdt van Kaas Hakkihäälinen (retired).
    Creator and GM of: Dark Horizons, Dark Horizons 2.0, Pure Madness, The Countries of an Alternate World, Twenty Thousand Leagues Over the Sea, Pure Madness 2: We couldn't decide on a subtitle
    Co-Creator and GM of: Kingdoms and Khanates
    Nations played in Nation Games: Guatemala/FNCA (WiR1861), Serbia (WiR1900), France (WiR1900), Terran Ascendancy(DH2), Commune of France(Kaiserreich), Basileia Rhomaion (KaK), DPRK (WiR2020), RSFSR and associates (BoP1920:TTY), Harad (LotR), Armenia (DDD), DPRK (PM2), Romania/Rhomânia! (WiR1901), DPRK (WiR2020 Mk.II)

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I guess we can look forward to DDs for each important nation? So why didn't you do Sweden first?

Will English DHEs also work for Great Britain, or has something been done to prevent GB from forming as early as it does in EU3?

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyranum View Post
    Hmm, interesting. However, I am compelled to ask: Will Dev Diaries for individual countries be commonplace? Or will it be a mix? Or is this one simply an exception?
    there will be a few around.

Johan Andersson

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

So with 1444 start, historical 17th century English Civil War may happen? Poor, stumped butterflies.

Not a big fan of such determinism - it would make game entertaining for major nations, but also more predictable and less repayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    there will be a few around.
    Betyder this that svea rike will get it's helt egna DD entry?

Pan Celticist Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Cool... that tooltip, naval supplies... does that indicate that England is buying them directly from Cantabria?

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sound nice in general but I don't get why one of the tirgger conditions for the War of the Roses is having no heir. England had an heir when the war of the Roses started even though he was still a child.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashing mad View Post
    So with 1444 start, historical 17th century English Civil War may happen? Poor, stumped butterflies.

Not a big fan of such determinism - it would make game entertaining for major nations, but also more predictable and less repayable.
    may

may

may

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    may

may

may
    Sure. However, there are automatically awarded country specific NI's, traditions, and loads of DHEs making probability of at least one firing quite high. If you sum it up, it's quite a lot of determinism.

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    The determenism debate is over.

Johan Andersson

Quote Originally Posted by thrashing mad View Post
    Sure. However, there are automatically awarded country specific NI's, traditions, and loads of DHEs making probability of at least one firing quite high. If you sum it up, it's quite a lot of determinism.
    So what? If those conditions were present at the start of thye game, why not simulate them? How will your gameplay be any worse for this? I respect that everyone has a different opnion, but I don't understand how one can be opposed to the fact that a historical event is now possible...

What does
    And did those feet in ancient time
    mean?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

splendid.
    Is the war of the roses just going to be one mega pretender stack? Seems a bit casual for such a big event.
    I wonder how overpowered british warships will be with those national ideas and decisions. YIKES!!

I hope there is a DD dedicated solely for Denmark, because, lets face it, they need some lovin'.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain

“Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.” -Edward O. Wilson

"Astrakhan rules the waves" -common knowledge

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Cool... that tooltip, naval supplies... does that indicate that England is buying them directly from Cantabria?
    First thing I noticed too haha. I hope this makes economic warfare possible!

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Good to see the way that bigger nations (tier 1, as it's been stated elsewhere) will be handled. That's the deep and immersion that make this kind of games so great.
    Why do you sound surprised? I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America - Liz Lemon

So what? If those conditions were present at the start of thye game, why not simulate them? How will your gameplay be any worse for this? I respect that everyone has a different opnion, but I don't understand how one can be opposed to the fact that a historical event is now possible...
    My last reply on topic, since devs seems to be tired of it. To put it simply, historical events/ideas/traditions follow one specific, historical path - which while detailed, is predictable and less exciting. Matter of taste though, some people like CK2 sandbox, some people like EU2 railroad ride. It doesn't mean that game would be bad.

Overall very interesting, but I really have to play the game to decide. For now, I'm just drooling.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Are the wooden wall and the Calais staple port the only nation specific decisions England will have or will there be more?
    Please developers make the German flag prettier, the graphics looks like crap compared to the Brandenburg, Prussian or similar Aachen flag.

http://eu4wiki.com/Europa_Universalis_4_Wiki

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast