• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(192255)

Kerberos Productions
2 Badges
Jan 23, 2010
www.kerberos-productions.com
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
Crosspost from the Kerberos forumns;

Mecron said:
Hey folks!

Sorry for the long wait but I am extremely happy and proud to give the all clear signal and invite you all back to a bright and shiny SotS2. While “all clear” in no way means support for the game has ended or that we have no plans for additions, it does mean that the game is in the shape we would have wished it to be upon release. From here we will be going on to a regularly scheduled set of updates that continue to fill out and flesh out the SotS2 universe as well as adding new maps, scenarios and plenty of quality of life suggestions.

We would like to thank Paradox for continuing to distribute Sword of the Stars/ Sword of the stars 2 and look forward to working with them on any future expansions. We also want to issue a heartfelt thanks to the players who stood by us in those dark early months and who believed us when we said this game would be fixed. We owe a great deal to the players who stuck it out through all the dozens of updates and fixes and kept reporting the bugs and posting their saves. Their input has made for a bigger and better SotS2 than could have been achieved at release even under the best of conditions. Everyone who enjoys playing this game from this date on, owes those impromptu testers a great deal of thanks. And finally for those of you who are reading this now and booting up the game, we would like to thank you for your patience and welcome you back. There is a great game waiting for you now and a big universe waiting to be explored.

The Future:
As said, this announcement does not mean the end of SotS2 support. In fact, should any of you be curious, feel free to come by our boards and see our plans to support SotS2 indefinitely. For now, you can look forward to your next SotS2 update in approximately 3 weeks and it should include such tasty treats as:
--Selectable Teams at startup
--Revised Empire economics screen
--Even more AI tuning
--SotSpedia tuning and more entries
--And a pack of new maps.

While too far down the line for particulars, I can tell you that the following update after that should see the return of scenarios and a treat or two for the holidays!

So once again, I would like to thank you all for your patience and understanding during the road back and hope you all enjoy this game as it was meant to be!

Martin E. Cirulis
CEO/Creative Director
Kerberos Productions

I wish i could sticky this
cool.gif

Granted

This is good news. I had faith, despite nearly refusing the play the game until it reached this stage. Glad to finally get to a place where I can get some value from my $60 investment.

Well I bought this game a couple months ago figuring this day would come. I didn't buy it out the gate since I rarely do that anymore after several sad lessons at my expense. So yeah, I waited a couple months, made sure they were committed to fixing it and then I bought the game a couple months ago simply to show my support for this genre and the fact that I was pretty confident that they'd get to this point, eventually. Have to say I am very happy to see this milestone reached for them. This is due to the fact that imo I've never seen a company get more stones thrown at them and continue to plug away at a product on nothing more than pretty much a promise that they'd fix it. Respect to them for that and all the people that pushed the game to this point...yes...even the people screaming for refunds. Now let's never repeat this ordeal again please...yeah right. :rolleyes::happy:

All clear but still near total lack of informative tooltips and still the same old GUI lag. And still no scenarios.. nor proper tutorial ;p It is playable and even a bit fun (waiting for mods to fix the balance) so it's not all that bad ;) But seeing that Kerberus announced this silly dungeon crawler in SOTS universe that means less people working on SOTS2, no?

The Sotspedia by the way isn't in need of tuning.. it needs a complete redesign. It offers 0 correct information.

All clear but still near total lack of informative tooltips and still the same old GUI lag. And still no scenarios.. nor proper tutorial ;p It is playable and even a bit fun (waiting for mods to fix the balance) so it's not all that bad ;) But seeing that Kerberus announced this silly dungeon crawler in SOTS universe that means less people working on SOTS2, no?

The Sotspedia by the way isn't in need of tuning.. it needs a complete redesign. It offers 0 correct information.

I 2nd this. Game is actually playable now, but definitely not complete. Still not in a proper "release" state.

Maps?

It would be nice if the new maps release allowed you to set how many stars you had in a system. Perhaps the map system could be revised into a completely customizable thing. Also you said that it is up to release par for game playability, but it still gets laggy after more than 30 minutes playing and expanding. What gives?

It would be nice if the new maps release allowed you to set how many stars you had in a system. Perhaps the map system could be revised into a completely customizable thing. Also you said that it is up to release par for game playability, but it still gets laggy after more than 30 minutes playing and expanding. What gives?

On what system are you playing? I've played as long as 9 hours straight without anything like that, and an average game is 3-5 hours in one sitting for me. That's on either of my systems (one AMD + ATI HD 4670 1Gig w/4Gig Mem and one i5 + Nvidia GT 550M 1 Gig w/6Gig Mem).

Just checking in the forums today and found this news! Amazing guys, well done. This must be a special month as Fallen Enchantress 1.0 comes out later today! Two long journeys with great teams and incredible results. I am a very happy panda!

On what system are you playing? I've played as long as 9 hours straight without anything like that, and an average game is 3-5 hours in one sitting for me. That's on either of my systems (one AMD + ATI HD 4670 1Gig w/4Gig Mem and one i5 + Nvidia GT 550M 1 Gig w/6Gig Mem).

I have the I5 processor @ 3.33 ghz and 4 gb RAM with a ATI radeon 4800 series graphics. I do believe it is up to par.

And I was being retarded when I said lag. What I meant was that the time between turns while it's processing the AIs is way to long and lengthens every turn. It would be nice to be able to have a quick turn processing time. My comp is fine it's the game on this one.

And yes I know that even some of the better games that are turned based get that way toward mid-late game. Civ 5 does it to me but only near the end. SOTS 2 does it from about 30 minutes out and continues to take longer and longer the further out you go. It's just annoying.

Last edited:
On the surface it sounds like it, but what is running in the background, what are your temps at, do you know if your system is throttling down. Also what resolution are you playing at (1600x1200 on my desktop and 1600x900 on my laptop). I have everything turned on (except blur which I don't like) and windows (I like full screen), also I don't run x64 on my laptop since it doesn't like Optimus. Just trying to figure out why you seem to have lag and such after 30minutes and I and many others are not. My i5 btw is a second gen -- Intel Core i5-2430M Processor (and laptop to boot) and it runs SOTS 2 better then my desktop (Phenom 9950 BE quad core). My desktop is 2.6GHz and my i5 is 2.4GHz (with boosting to 2.8Ghz when dual core is active and 3.0Ghz at single core). My temps are in the mid-50's for my desktop and mid-50's to 60's on my laptop (depending on external temp and if I have my laptop cooler underneath turned on (fan). Like I said I've played for hours and hours on either machine without any lag or slowdown, so I wonder.

Last edited:
On the surface it sounds like it, but what is running in the background, what are your temps at, do you know if your system is throttling down. Also what resolution are you playing at (1600x1200 on my desktop and 1600x900 on my laptop). I have everything turned on (except blur which I don't like) and windows (I like full screen), also I don't run x64 on my laptop since it doesn't like Optimus. Just trying to figure out why you seem to have lag and such after 30minutes and I and many others are not. My i5 btw is a second gen -- Intel Core i5-2430M Processor (and laptop to boot) and it runs SOTS 2 better then my desktop (Phenom 9950 BE quad core). My desktop is 2.6GHz and my i5 is 2.4GHz (with boosting to 2.8Ghz when dual core is active and 3.0Ghz at single core). My temps are in the mid-50's for my desktop and mid-50's to 60's on my laptop (depending on external temp and if I have my laptop cooler underneath turned on (fan). Like I said I've played for hours and hours on either machine without any lag or slowdown, so I wonder.

I play this on a core 2 duo laptop (running at 3.1GHz) with an old 5X series Radeon mobile card in. Never had any lag at all.
Not saying people don't get it, but not something that's ever hit me.
On my desktop with a (2500K at stock and 570 GFX card - 8 gigs ram - win 7 premium 64 bit) it is also properly smooth, and that has a TON of stuff running in the background.

Scritty

So far so good

Pretty happy with the latest patching. AI actually fights/plays much better. UI is better. Good job on those patches, keep it up.

Anybody look to see if scenarios were active yet?

All clear my eye, having read this, figured I would give it another go, 5 DIFFERENT games in a row crashed, and hours of MY free time wasted, this is on a clean system with more than enough grunt and memory to handle the game; quite simply it is still buggy as hell. I also read that many systems still do not work as described in the manual, making training some techs pointless.