Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 5: The Return of the Kings

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May I ask what you mean by a tiny cost for assaulting. Does that mean it will cost a military point to move to a enemy province that isn't controlled by you or does it mean when you assault during a siege.

This all sounds very well done. The thing that seems strange to me though is that if it costs an upkeep of one point per general per month, then that would mean that a country could maintain no more than 9 generals under the best of possible circumstances, right? That seems awfully strange. Will we be able to delete our generals once they stop being useful?

Will a heir's death generally still more often than not lead to a "no heir" situation? I've always felt that occured WAY too much in Europa. If you compare to CK, where a son's death generally just mean another son is ready to step in, or at worse a brother, it seems to happen way too much in EU that there is "No heir to the throne". Ideally, I feel the absence of a direct heir should logically more often than not produce another heir with a weaker claim at worse rather than none at all. And seeing that chain of succession would be hella nice, too.

Will the minimum and maximum ranges for monarch abilities remain hardcoded, or exported to defines? Will larger realms have an easier time finding quality advisors, if they can afford them?

Will there be any ways to influence your growth of Power besides your monarch and his advisors? Technology, perhaps? Size of country? What about temporary events ("Exceptional minister"-like) or decisions?

Last edited:
This all sounds very well done. The thing that seems strange to me though is that if it costs an upkeep of one point per general per month, then that would mean that a country could maintain no more than 9 generals under the best of possible circumstances, right? That seems awfully strange. Will we be able to delete our generals once they stop being useful?

You can store up to 999 of each type of monarch points. If you have more generals than you gain in military points per month you just need to have saved up a decent amount beforehand.

this all sounds good; but

Can we please have monarch portraits! please!?

or if you dont want to include character portraits, can enable us to mod the interface to add an area for adding our own new images?

You can store up to 999 of each type of monarch points. If you have more generals than you gain in military points per month you just need to have saved up a decent amount beforehand.

That's why I said maintain. Having 9 generals, a decent midgame amount, would be unsustainable for a country under the best of possible circumstances (maximum military skill ruler, maximum military skill advisor).

I only fear that it could lead to intense micromanagement of shifting around your tiny number of generals from army to army on the eve of every battle.

Wow very early, for one sec I think that this week we had two DD.

About the advisor system... so there are for each category an advisor that give a bonus for the stats, and others advisor that give other bonus but not in the stats? if is like so, there is no risk that players choose ever only advisor that give more points to the stats?

I have also another question, there is a cap points from the stats+advisors? for example if my ruled has 6 in a stat, an advisor can give me more points?

EDIT:

In the screen, what are the stats of the ruler? the one near the advisors? and why, the diplomatic advisor give +5 skill if the advisors gan give only from 1 and 3? the diplomatic skill is another thing?

Great DD. Thanks!

Is the team doing anything new with dynasties at all? It seemed like the only thing dynasties did in EU3 (other than add flavour) was give a +3 bonus to relations with countries who shared the same dynasty. It would be nice if dynasties did something meaningful like say let you claim the thrones of other countries who share your dynasty at a reduced penalty or something like that. I guess I just want some reason to care what dynasty my ruler is a member of. Anything at all. Just give me a reason!

Also, a flavour request: Please put in some mechanic that would allow you to change a ruler's dynasty in game (without replacing the ruler with a new one altogether), so that dynasties can be updated appropriately when events call for such a name change. I'm thinking of the ruler of Manchu's dynasty changing to Qing from Aisin Gioro once he takes over China, and events like that. Thanks.

Sounds interesting. By the way, one minor thing. The portraits of the advisors are the very same of eu iii. I take for granted this is just an alpha version and you will change them?

That's why I said maintain. Having 9 generals, a decent midgame amount, would be unsustainable for a country under the best of possible circumstances (maximum military skill ruler, maximum military skill advisor).

It's good I think. Having a generals would be more of a big deal than it is in EU3. You would have say 2-3 generals rather than 12, and their impact on gameplay would be more pronounced than it is in EU3.

I only fear that it could lead to intense micromanagement of shifting around your tiny number of generals from army to army on the eve of every battle.

The assumption there is that the cost is going to be in whole points. (and not be affected by stuff like technology, national ideas, etc. etc.)

Extremely interesting. I have 2 questions/comments:

1. I'm not encouraged by the 1-6 ratings numbers. Not because I feel it's a bad range, but because I believe such ratings overrate good leaders. IMO, there should be a minimum value, to which the rating should be added. The EUIII ratings worked OK, 3-9. (The equivalent here would be 3-8). The trouble is the assumption that the top man is 6x as good as the bottom. Usually, that just isn't so.

2. What happens when a good monarch dies, and is replaced by a lesser heir? Do you have to fire generals? This isn't clear.

Wow very early, for one sec I think that this week we had two DD.

EDITED:

I have question, there is a cap for points from the stats+advisors? for example if my ruled has 6 in a stat, an advisor can give me more points?

The way I understand it, each advisor contributes to monarch points, with better advisors contributing more points. For every advisor type, there are five possible bonuses they can provide, but better advisors don't provide better bonuses. So you get to choose what bonus you want, but can only get one out of five in the areas of administration, diplomacy, and military.

When did you ever need 9 generals in EU3? Unless you were a mega, super-blob, you really wouldn't even have 9 proper stacks to put them in.

Iirc they are going to limit that making your troops lose half their org every time you change your general. Or perhaps i have dreamt it becuase it is so in hoi 3 and vicky 2

One thing worries me. What will happen if you have saved 999 ppoints to do something and suddendly your monarch dies a second before you select your shine new national idea? (Because that sort of things happen from time to time. It happned to me once one second before i was able to click the "westernize" button. And, of course, my heir was a total inept. As you guess i felt cheated¡)

One thing worries me. What will happen if you have saved 999 ppoints to do something and suddendly your monarch dies a second before you select your shine new national idea? (Because that sort of things happen from time to time. It happned to me once one second before i was able to click the "westernize" button. And, of course, my heir was a total inept. As you guess i felt cheated¡)

Why would the monarch's death 'wipe' the pool? The accumulated points, after all, represent the past good governance and achievements of the previous monarch as capital. Letting them be tied to the country and inherited by the next government makes sense.

That's the base. Of course you can improve this by National Ideas and perhaps by techs and special buildings, getting modifiers, extra points, a free general at all times or reduced upkeep costs for generals or admirals etc etc.

I wonder if there still will be military tradition. Perhaps earning some military points by victories.

Last edited: