Closed Thread
Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 11 26 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The 3 tiers...

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

The 3 tiers...

We have countries in 4 tiers, when it comes to attention in the EU4 development process. This is for DHE, decisions, missions and (unannounced features and mechanics).
    • Tier 1 - 8 countries (flavour and fun, behaviour vital for game progress)
    • Tier 2 - 9 countries. (flavour and fun, behaviour important for game progress)
    • Tier 3 - 16+ countries (flavour and fun, behaviour not vital for game progress)
    • Tier 4 - the others.... where the minimum flavour level is EU3+EU2.

Tier 1
    1. England - Arguably the winner of the time period.
    2. France - Big blue blob is a must here, no game is complete without a strong France dictating western Europe.
    3. Ottoman Empire - the major complaints on EU3 was the fact that they didn't become the historical threat they were.
    4. Castille/Spain - We all want a big Spanish colonial empire on the map.
    5. Muscowy/Russia - another failure of EU3 was that russia didnt form often enough, and you ended up with a fractured east.
    6. Sweden - Swedish agression is what shapes the northeastern quarter of europe.
    7. Portugal - in history and with our new trade system, their impact in the first 2 centuries changed europe forever.
    8. Austria - The central european player that affected half of europe.

Tier 2
    1. Netherlands
    2. Poland
    3. Venice
    4. China
    5. Denmark
    6. Brandenburg/Prussia
    7. Persia
    8. Timurid/Moghuls
    9. Japan
    Some comments here.. Netherlands didn't make the cut for the top 8, as they don't exist at the start. While we would like to see them in a fair amount of games, they are not a guarantee to happen. Poland and Denmark, while important countries from the start and have a rich history, we chose Russia and Sweden ahead of them in that area, as Russia and Sweden were the winners historically.

Tier 3
    1. Genoa
    2. Burgundy
    3. Lithuania
    4. Mamelukes
    5. Viyanagar
    6. Oman
    7. The Hansa
    8. Scotland
    9. Bavaria
    10. Ayutthaya
    11. Aragon
    12. Milan
    13. Korea
    14. Hungary
    15. Norway
    16. Novgorod
    17. Naples
    18. Bohemia
    19. Byzantium

All of these are interesting countries to play.. While Eu2 at most had 2-3 events for these countries, we aim for far more, to bring them closer to what tier 1 and tier 2 countries could expect.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Cool, I was afraid at first, I didn't see Prussia.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Ah so the debate about which countries will be in which tier is finally over... Now I'm sure it will be pages full of country x should be in tier y. Why is country z in tier w? etc.

I like I can now see where each country is, as it gives me a better idea what to start with. I may have to betray Milan and pick Venice instead (also with the new trade mechanics it probably would be more fun).

"(unannounced features and mechanics)." Ah now I'm, just very curious what they could be! Excitement level increased again.

One thing though: "Ottoman Empire - the major complaints on EU3 was the fact that" I guess the end of the sentence should be that they performed poorly? Or that Christian nations could easily conquer Turkey etc.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLegioLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Sant˘ka View Post
    What happened to Prussia ? I know it doesn't exist at gamestart, but in that time period it had a LOT more importance than Japan for example, even if I don't mind Japan being worked on.
    Prussia is in Tier 2 like Japan...

Nice to see which countries you have put in the different tiers but i like that we got a some of your thoughts on the matter. Its always hard to make such a sharp cut between something so fluid but i imagine that theres also some room for different "levels" in each tier. So the difference between the most prioritized in tier 2 and the least prioritized in tier 1 might not be as big as the Tiers might make it seem.

Arnoldson Fnordgren Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

I can only assume having Castille in instead of Leinster is some sort of typo, but other than that it seems like a fair list. I probably would have had Brandenburg/Prussia ahead of Sweden too, but all in all it looks great to me.

Crusader Kings II

nice hopefully austria wont gobble up central europe the whole time. that and yeah seeing russia around more would rock

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sweet!
    I'm surprised Scotland is there. I suppose their history with England merits the inclusion.
    Happy Denmark is there at tier 2. Their power was declining during this time, but thay still could be a pest for their neighbors and trading rivals.
    I too would have swapped Sweden and Prussia. Maybe they could change tiers depending on the starting period.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain

ôDestroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.ö -Edward O. Wilson

"Astrakhan rules the waves" -common knowledge

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Nice list.

Quote Originally Posted by herrhals View Post
    Sweet!
    I'm surprised Scotland is there. I suppose their history with England merits the inclusion.
    Happy Denmark is there at tier 2. Their power was declining during this time, but thay still could be a pest for their neighbors and trading rivals.
    I too would have swapped Sweden and Prussia. Maybe they could change tiers depending on the starting period.
    They have a couple of Scottish developers . But especially the interaction with France and England seems a reason for inclusion.

The tiers are the total attention they get in the game files, so perhaps Brandenburg/Prussia has more events later in the timeline and Sweden more in the middle. But in total things Sweden gets a little bit more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Seli View Post
    Nice list.

They have a couple of Scottish developers . But especially the interaction with France and England seems a reason for inclusion.

The tiers are the total attention they get in the game files, so perhaps Brandenburg/Prussia has more events later in the timeline and Sweden more in the middle. But in total things Sweden gets a little bit more attention.
    As far as i understand it country triggers are not dependant on the date of the game but circumstances. So you could have prussia related events that have the prussia tag. So potentially if you mod in prussia at the startdate then you could have them fire 5-10 years after the start of the game
    Some people just want to see the World burn

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Nostra View Post
    As far as i understand it country triggers are not dependant on the date of the game but circumstances. So you could have prussia related events that have the prussia tag. So potentially if you mod in prussia at the startdate then you could have them fire 5-10 years after the start of the game
    Hmm, good point. But depending on prerequisites the circumstances might be unlikely until a certain period in the game. We will have something to look forward to.

Usermod Coordinator Paradox Dev Team Captain Gars's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindSengoku

Quote Originally Posted by herrhals View Post
    Maybe they could change tiers depending on the starting period.
    These tiers are not an in-game mechanic like the eight great powers in Victoria - it's just a way for us to prioritize when developing the game and it's content.
    "I don't want to know or hear anything about neutrality. This is a fight between God and the devil. If he wants to side with God, then he has to join me. If he prefers to side with the devil, then indeed he must fight me. There is no third way."

Senior Scripter & Usermod Coordinator

(DON'T PM ME ABOUT MODDING ISSUES - THERE ARE SUBFORUMS FOR THAT)

~ Ivan Turina ~

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gars View Post
    These tiers are not an in-game mechanic like the eight great powers in Victoria - it's just a way for us to prioritize when developing the game and it's content.
    Out of curiosity, did you guys ever imagine these tiers would go viral on the forum when you came up with the design strategy? ^^
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

In regards to Multiplayer can we expect that the events give eventual bonuses or modifiers to the country such as let┤s say the prussian military reforms which is a powerful boost and tends to upset the game balance quiet a bit in multiplayer when someone manages to do enact or rather create certain scenarios that make it more likely for the Ai or human to go into a certain direction without giving out country specific bonuses?
    Some people just want to see the World burn

It sure do look like a list made by Swedes.

Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by thrashing mad View Post
    It sure do look like a list made by Swedes.
    Sweden & Poland could be quite randomly exchanged. Apart from that, the list is not very disputable?
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by Grubnessul View Post
    Sweden & Poland could be quite randomly exchanged. Apart from that, the list is not very disputable?
    Apart from that the list is good. 6th place for a country that was relevant in Northern Europe for about 100 years looks like a 'patriotic' choice. Moving Sweden below Portugal and Austria, to 8th spot would look less ridiculous.

Arnoldson Fnordgren Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Windicatoren View Post
    Uhm no Bohemia?
    Bit of a glaring omission now that you mention it

Quote Originally Posted by thrashing mad View Post
    Apart from that the list is good. 6th place for a country that was relevant in Northern Europe for about 100 years looks like a 'patriotic' choice. Moving Sweden below Portugal and Austria, to 8th spot would look less ridiculous.
    I didn't assume the place in each tier would matter.
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"

Usermod Coordinator Paradox Dev Team Captain Gars's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindSengoku

Quote Originally Posted by Grubnessul View Post
    I didn't assume the place in each tier would matter.
    It doesn't.
    "I don't want to know or hear anything about neutrality. This is a fight between God and the devil. If he wants to side with God, then he has to join me. If he prefers to side with the devil, then indeed he must fight me. There is no third way."

Senior Scripter & Usermod Coordinator

(DON'T PM ME ABOUT MODDING ISSUES - THERE ARE SUBFORUMS FOR THAT)

~ Ivan Turina ~

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 11 26 51 ... LastLast