We have countries in 4 tiers, when it comes to attention in the EU4 development process. This is for DHE, decisions, missions and (unannounced features and mechanics).
- Tier 1 - 8 countries (flavour and fun, behaviour vital for game progress)
- Tier 2 - 9 countries. (flavour and fun, behaviour important for game progress)
- Tier 3 - 16+ countries (flavour and fun, behaviour not vital for game progress)
- Tier 4 - the others.... where the minimum flavour level is EU3+EU2.
- England - Arguably the winner of the time period.
- France - Big blue blob is a must here, no game is complete without a strong France dictating western Europe.
- Ottoman Empire - the major complaints on EU3 was the fact that they didn't become the historical threat they were.
- Castille/Spain - We all want a big Spanish colonial empire on the map.
- Muscowy/Russia - another failure of EU3 was that russia didnt form often enough, and you ended up with a fractured east.
- Sweden - Swedish agression is what shapes the northeastern quarter of europe.
- Portugal - in history and with our new trade system, their impact in the first 2 centuries changed europe forever.
- Austria - The central european player that affected half of europe.
Some comments here.. Netherlands didn't make the cut for the top 8, as they don't exist at the start. While we would like to see them in a fair amount of games, they are not a guarantee to happen. Poland and Denmark, while important countries from the start and have a rich history, we chose Russia and Sweden ahead of them in that area, as Russia and Sweden were the winners historically.
- The Hansa
All of these are interesting countries to play.. While Eu2 at most had 2-3 events for these countries, we aim for far more, to bring them closer to what tier 1 and tier 2 countries could expect.