• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The download link appears to be broken now. WinZIP is telling me that the files inside are broken or corrupted. I downloaded a version earlier, downloaded Ruby and ran it with the .exe but it popped up with an eu3 file that was not only not named "conversion.eu3", but it was also entirely empty.

This is gonna be awesome :eek:

1) Sorry for the .zip confusion. For whatever reason it was corrupted when I built it. I've rebuilt it, uploaded, downloaded, and run it successfully. So please try again, and if you have issues feel free to email me them.

2) I have also made a change in the main thread post to indicate that the converted file will have the same name as your CK2 save game.

3) Please note you have to be running Ruby 1.9 or greater. 1.8 will mess up the title parsing.

4) The reason I didn't work with the other folks is that I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could do it, AND know that if there was any delay, only I would be impacted as no one else knew I was working on it.

Hah yes, it was a bit of a quandary. "How do I parse 1 million+ lines of code, perfectly reproducing 99% and changing the rest in just the right way, without changing a single bracket, quotation mark, or period?"

The main issue was deciding HOW to convert province controllers. I'm still not really happy with it all the way. Anyone that has a lord over them loses territory to that lord (except the player, who is always autonomous). That's good for people like England, but it leads to a very powerful HRE. I'm still trying to decide if that should be changed, and if so, if it should be based on Inheritance Laws or Crown Authority.

Don't get me wrong. This is very interesting work, but doesn't this belong in the User Modifications forum?

And do you have a EU3->Vic2 converter planned? (if that is even remotely feasible)

Well I thought of a Mod as "Change the base game to something else" like the famous Game of Thrones mod, rather than "Make a save file from one game work in another game". But apparently a moderator agreed with you in the CK2 thread and moved it.

As for a EU3-Vic2 converter, I can do that, as it's actually probably easier than CK2-EU3. I think there might already be one, though, IIRC. But the plan originally for this WAS to have a single program convert from any one game to the next, so at some point I'll do that.

The only hard one would be Vic2-HoI3, since the number of provinces is massively increased, and would have to be hard-coded. That's not HARD per se, just very, very tedious, unless the regions in HoI3 are close enough to prov's in Vic2, which I haven't looked into. BUT I am getting a second desktop so I can have 2 games running at once to compare. So that one's down the road unless demand is high enough.

Thank sou now it's working, but my "empire" is lost. I have 7 king titles and only the primary remained all the others are become independent. I'm not an empreor (yet) so a think the problem is that i have too many similar titles (kingdoms), if i become an emperor then may be it will be ok

I got nothing when I converted, I am however using Project Balance, so that is probably effecting it (going to adjust a save file to 1400 so I can test it our without the mods)

Edit: Yea I'm not getting anything from the normal save game either. Just a blank EU3 Map, I cant start since I cant select a nation

Last edited:
It's not designed to work with any mods, other than expansions. Do you have mods installed that're being used?

It also assumes all expansions. Do you have all expansions? I'm going to release one without them.

Also, if anyone has issues please email me the save file so I can look into it. I'm planning to get the primary title bug worked out this evening.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Thank sou now it's working, but my "empire" is lost. I have 7 king titles and only the primary remained all the others are become independent. I'm not an empreor (yet) so a think the problem is that i have too many similar titles (kingdoms), if i become an emperor then may be it will be ok

I got it working with the new ZIP and face the same problem. I played Orkney and conquered Scotland, Wales and most of Scandinavia, but it converted me to Norway (Gotland could maybe be better?) even though Norway still existed and took away a large swath of my territories, including all of Scotland, gave Wales to England and gave most of my Scandinavian holdings to Novgorod.

That sounds like a combination of the first issue (losing secondary titles of equivalent value to primary) and a new one, converting the player to an already-existing title. I'll open that issue and try to get it solved in the next few days.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I got it working with the new ZIP and face the same problem. I played Orkney and conquered Scotland, Wales and most of Scandinavia, but it converted me to Norway (Gotland could maybe be better?) even though Norway still existed and took away a large swath of my territories, including all of Scotland, gave Wales to England and gave most of my Scandinavian holdings to Novgorod.

What was your primary title?

Yeah, you said that sorry.

That goes back to a fundamental issue. There are ~1400 titles in CK2, and ~350 tags in EU3 with all expansions. So how do you map them all? It can't be 1:1, multiple CK2 tags HAVE to go to a single EU3 tag. The way I did it was starting at the top and working my way down. The higher rank the title is, the more likely it is to have a good EU3 tag without namespace conflicts.

That means the higher your title, the better chance of converting you have. EU3 is mainly concerned with nations, which I found paralleled in CK2's Empires, Kingdoms, and occasionally duchies.

If the duchy/county title didn't exist in CK2, I tried to assign it to the closest nation existing in EU3. Sometimes it worked great (Austria, etc.), othertimes not as perfect. So as Orkney, that means Norway.

Obviously an issue arises when the conversion already exists as an AI nation. I'll mull that over. I'm open to suggestions, but the sheer number of titles dwindled to tags makes it impossible to have a perfect converter. In the meantime, I'll probably add code such that if the default tag already exists, it'll cycle through until it find one that doesn't.