+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Contacts between the Incas and the Aztecs/Meosamericans

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Rio de Janeiro (A Cidade Maravilhosa), Brazil/Twitter: @Cynegeticus

Contacts between the Incas and the Aztecs/Meosamericans

Anyone knows if the Incas and the Axtec/Meosamerican civilizations were aware of the existence of the other mentioned civilization?

If the answer is yes, anyone knows if there were trade between the Incas and Mesoamerica/Aztec empire?

I know that the diseases brought by the Spaniards that decimated the Aztec Empire hit the Inca Empire about 5-6 years later (few years before Pizarro invasion on Inca Empire).

It suggests that there were at least indirect contact between the two regions, but what about direct contact?

There was no direct contact between the Incas and the Maya/Aztecs - distances were too great. Incas were not interested in anything further north of Ecuador/Columbia border.
    As a matter of fact, geographic difference between the Aztecs and the Incas is almost as great as that between Japan and India. Yet, it is somehow assumed that they must be related since they both were "pre-columbian" and conquered by the Spaniards.
    As for European diseases (smallpox mostly) - it is true that they traveled much faster that the conquistadors. It is generally believed that Inca emperor Huayna Capac (father of Huascar and Atahualpa) died during a smallpox epidemic in 1525 - seven years before Pizarro set foot in Peru.

Both the Incas and the Aztecs were propably unaware of each other's existence. My knowledge of the Aztecs is not as good as that of the Incas (which are my speciality by the way). The Incas believed that they controlled all the four corners of the world (the name of their state - Tawantinsuyu - means "four quarters tied together") - anything beyond their empire - be it tropical forests of East Peru, lands south of central Chile or in central Columbia - were generally believed to be "unworthy of conquest" (sort of like Germania in Roman times) and overall barbaric. With a mindset like this the Incas probably couldn't concieve of another state of their magnitude. For them, world=Inca empire.
    Немцев только ленивый не бивал. Only the lazy did not defeat the Germans.
    -War and Peace

Can your heart stand the shocking facts of the true story of grave robbers from outer space?
    -Plan 9 from Outer Space

What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again.
    -Dirk Diggler

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods

Thanks for all the interesting information. I agree that the distances are great, but I supposed they could used some kind of boats to move between both regions.

Originally posted by PMLF
    Thanks for all the interesting information. I agree that the distances are great, but I supposed they could used some kind of boats to move between both regions.
    such trips were theoretically possible. For example. the Incas have reached the Galapagos Islands. It is not at all unlikely that the Incas might have reached Panama or even Mexico by following the Pacific coast, but such contacts, if they indeed occured, like the pre-columbian discoveries of America, would have been sporadic and insignificant.
    -War and Peace

Can your heart stand the shocking facts of the true story of grave robbers from outer space?
    -Plan 9 from Outer Space

What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again.
    -Dirk Diggler

Human Rights Advisor of Atilla w_mullender's Avatar

Webbrave since inca's seem to be your specialty, do you know of any progress on the digs in Bolivia?
    I never make errors, because I have have an immense difficulty to make mistakes.

Originally posted by w_mullender
    Webbrave since inca's seem to be your specialty, do you know of any progress on the digs in Bolivia?
    do you mean the terraces discovered in Eastern Bolivia a couple of years ago? Or the ruins at the bottom of Titicaca discovered ust recently? Both are pre-Inca.

here is a link about the Titicaca find from late October

http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/Swissin...43&sid=1427628
    -War and Peace

-Plan 9 from Outer Space

-Dirk Diggler

Thanks for the link! But I meant the altiplano(?) in Bolivia, I heard they were digginh there.
    I never make errors, because I have have an immense difficulty to make mistakes.

there are numerous ongoing expeditions in both Peru and Bolivia.
    Titicaca is on the altiplano. Those underwater ruins are the most recent discovery there.
    -War and Peace

-Plan 9 from Outer Space

-Dirk Diggler

Originally posted by webbrave
    there are numerous ongoing expeditions in both Peru and Bolivia.
    Titicaca is on the altiplano. Those underwater ruins are the most recent discovery there.
    Aha that explains my confusion then. It is indeed quite interesting.

My hovercraft is full of eels Jools's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne

Eutopia City, the politcal center of Eutopia
    Webby,
    What about those pre inca legends about a white race living near a huge lake (Not sure which one, but Titicaca is the obvious choice) that built huge ships and sailed to the Easter Islands?

The ruins of their cities were discovered in eh, PEru? Sorry my geography of that region isn't too good.
    Citizen John Paul Jones-Julseau of Eutopia City

Originally posted by Jools
    Webby,
    What about those pre inca legends about a white race living near a huge lake (Not sure which one, but Titicaca is the obvious choice) that built huge ships and sailed to the Easter Islands?

The ruins of their cities were discovered in eh, PEru? Sorry
    my geography of that region isn't too good.

I have never heard this legend before. One of the Inca origin myths has to do with lake Titicaca, but neither "white race", nor Easter Island are mentioned... Are you sure you don't have it confused with something else?
    -War and Peace

-Plan 9 from Outer Space

-Dirk Diggler

Originally posted by webbrave
    I have never heard this legend before. One of the Inca origin myths has to do with lake Titicaca, but neither "white race", nor Easter Island are mentioned... Are you sure you don't have it confused with something else?
    I read somewhere that both the Aztecs and the Incas had legends about white men coming from the sea in the future. But I don't know if these legends were invented later by the Spanish.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Rome

Originally posted by PMLF
    I read somewhere that both the Aztecs and the Incas had legends about white men coming from the sea in the future. But I don't know if these legends were invented later by the Spanish.
    Aztecs had one, its that Quetzatcoatl myth (got to love those Aztec names)

+ Reply to Thread