+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Sports League coming to War of the Roses

e-Sports League coming to War of the Roses

We'll be launching an e-Sports community for War of the Roses very shortly.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by weissenwulf; 27-09-2012 at 21:19.

O rly?
    For War of the Roses videos:
    www.youtube.com/NinjaXStation

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaX View Post
    O rly?
    Rly.

We've already had some initial discussions with Paradox's community manager, looking good so far.

Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses

I want in!
    I want in!
    I want in!

I want in!
    - What can change the nature of a man?

Quote Originally Posted by ElricVonRabe View Post
    I want in!
    I want in!
    I want in!

I want in!
    The more the merrier.

And a HUGE round of applause to Paradox for their enthusiasm thus far. My team was literally asked: "How can we help you?"

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    I look forward to hearing some more details!
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Finally bring some worthy opponents into the field of battle!

I look forward to it. Will this league also cater to the Oceanic comrades?
    Signed,

Lord Gondor of Salisbury.

Executive Producer GVD on parrying in WotV
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonVanDyke View Post
    If I had my way I'd remove parry. It doesn't fit with Viking Age combat and other various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    Finally bring some worthy opponents into the field of battle!

I look forward to it. Will this league also cater to the Oceanic comrades?
    It will be open to players on all continents.

We will be opening Competitive Play with two Divisions:

1 v 1 Duel

and

5 v 5 Clan TDM

Each Division will have a Season lasting approximately 3-5 weeks long (TBD). At the end of each Season, a winner will be declared and accolades dispensed. Then the next Season will begin. Prizes and sponsorships are currently in development.

We are absolutely open to adding more Divisions in the future, but at the moment we are compelled to restrict it to these two until we are able to determine the level of consistent participation.

As we continue to develop the rule-sets for each Division, I am asking for ANY and ALL feedback concerning competitive play as it applies to the two Divisions listed above. Please don't Private Message me -- keep the discussion here so all can comment.

Example questions we are discussing internally:

What classes should be restricted?
    Which weapons should be restricted, if any?
    Should a team of 5 be allowed a maximum number of classes per team? Or can they run 5 cavalry?
    Does Conquest completely suck as a game-mode?
    Should Executions carry more weight when compiling a team's final score?

Etc., etc.

We look forward to your comments & insights.

PS -- we plan to debut our website and open registration for the First Season on 15 October 2012.

I don't think anything should be restricted at the beginning. This is a new game with a new combat system. This is time for competitive players to push the game to the limit. If one strategy starts to dominate too much and warp the meta-game, then I would consider restricting it next season to keep good balance.
    For War of the Roses videos:
    www.youtube.com/NinjaXStation

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaX View Post
    I don't think anything should be restricted at the beginning. This is a new game with a new combat system. This is time for competitive players to push the game to the limit. If one strategy starts to dominate too much and warp the meta-game, then I would consider restricting it next season to keep good balance.
    Very well said. That's how it was done in Battlefield 3 competitive play.

Glad to see someone is taking this on, saves me the work heheh.

I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see your leagues get under way.

Since Wotr supports 32 v 32 will you ever up the 5v5 to say 16v16 or greater? Also why not use other modes besides tdm? I find conquest has more teamwork involved than tdm to be honest. Objective based modes always bring out a lot of teamwork from clans etc.

Well i think it will need some limits/restrictions from the start. Nothing crazy has to be done by adding in a ton of limits but doing the polar opposite isn't a good idea either. It is hard to think about what will/will not be allowed sense the game is still in its early stages of release and there is bound to be updates in weeks to come. Still I think the we should start discussion it to get everyone's opinion on the matter so that things go more smoothly for the competitive scene.

I'll start it off in what I think:

What classes should be restricted?
    I think 1 horse per 5 man team, no more than 2 archers and 2 crossbowmen.
    Having multiple horses running around in a match I feel wouldn't be alot of fun, nor would playing a full team of light archers.

Which weapons should be restricted, if any?
    As of right now, I think any and all weapons are fair game. This can change in the next couple weeks updates come out, and certain weapons maybe OP

Should a team of 5 be allowed a maximum number of classes per team? Or can they run 5 cavalry?
    Well I already answered the cav part. As of right now I am a little torn about whether or not heavy and medium should be spread out. What are some thoughts about max 3 heavy armors? Forcing teams to spread their players into med and light armors? Im torn on the matter..

Does Conquest completely suck as a game-mode?
    yes, lol at least right now. Although I can't see a 5v5 conquest competitive game as too much fun. Maybe a larger 8v8 or 10v10 for larger conquest maps, but the larger games don't really interest me.

Should Executions carry more weight when compiling a team's final score?
    I think they should, I can see a strategic value in executing players if done correctly. If a player runs off on their own to try and get a quick kill, without his team to back him up, easy execute. But if you're with your team, as long as you don't all wipe then excecuting safely will be very difficult. I am for having it weigh in.

Well I think thats enough to get that topic started for now, what does everyone else think?

Quote Originally Posted by Killkan View Post
    Since Wotr supports 32 v 32 will you ever up the 5v5 to say 16v16 or greater? Also why not use other modes besides tdm? I find conquest has more teamwork involved than tdm to be honest. Objective based modes always bring out a lot of teamwork from clans etc.
    Answer here:

Quote Originally Posted by weissenwulf View Post
    We are absolutely open to adding more Divisions in the future, but at the moment we are compelled to restrict it to these two until we are able to determine the level of consistent participation.

As we continue to develop the rule-sets for each Division, I am asking for ANY and ALL feedback concerning competitive play as it applies to the two Divisions listed above.
    Also -- how many WotR clans out there can field 16 players?

Quote Originally Posted by weissenwulf View Post
    Also -- how many WotR clans out there can field 16 players?
    I can say from experience that Mount and Blade clans, back when it was more popular, could have 20 active players or sometimes many more, and this game is shaping up to be far more popular. IMO, I doubt you'll have to worry about not having enough players to fill rosters!

Dont know why you would waste your time with it though

God of War and Thunder Demi Moderator Baynard's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteLead and GoldMagickaMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fieldmarshalven View Post
    Because people enjoy playing War of the Roses?
    A.K.A. Hugues

Find me on:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    ― Thomas A. Edison

When I write in this beautiful orange text, I write as a moderator - please listen to whatever is said.

Quote Originally Posted by Fieldmarshalven View Post

Also:
    Also why not use other modes besides tdm? I find conquest has more teamwork involved than tdm to be honest. Objective based modes always bring out a lot of teamwork from clans etc.
    I'm all for using conquest at some point in the future but as of now I don't really think it's a viable option. I've never really seen it played on a 5v5 man match but on the 16v16 ones the matches are over in under five minutes. It might actually work well with organized teams but I think the squad leader spawn mechanic needs to be fixed a bit before then. Imagine everyone spawning in over and over again in battle to defend/attack a point.

I wouldn't mind doing some larger games, but anything larger than 10v10 I don't find very fun. Its just a big blob of people hacking and slashing until they're dead. If i ever get that urge I join pub servers and do it there. I don't see a 5v5 conquest gamemode going very well, and even a 10v10 it is pushing it. The popular demand for competitive games is typically smaller games, which I enjoy alot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast