• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

brxbrx

Lt. General
14 Badges
Jan 5, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Impire
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
I was surprised to see this on the list of honorary titles. A character must have the dwarf trait to qualify, so I imagine a lot of people haven't encountered it yet.

My question is: why does it give a +10 opinion boost?

How is being singled out like that a good thing? Is this WAD (which means Working As Intended, for anyone that doesn't know)?

well i could be wrong because i really know anything about how things were but if movies are even close to accurate they are usually seen partying it up and being sort of an entertainment during events, i could see how a dwarf may be happy with such a title

again i know nothing and am only going by what i've seen in movies and we all know they are no real source

I noticed that title too and I've wanted to hand it out but never had a dwarf to do so. It actually has a pretty decent prestige rating so I guess it's like they're being honored. I don't know if people thought that well of dwarves/dwarfs back then, but maybe it blew their medieval minds.

There should be an event in which the Court Dwarf can poison the king.

*nods*

I constructed a dwarf ruler for one of my games. He was King of Bohemia and Court Dwarf for the HRE, as was his son (also a dwarf) and his grandson (also). The silly malus stuck for 3 generations. I think its throwing a bone to those characters because being a dwarf stinks in game terms. Its a malus with your court and retainers and its a large malus with your wife.

I constructed a dwarf ruler for one of my games. He was King of Bohemia and Court Dwarf for the HRE, as was his son (also a dwarf) and his grandson (also). The silly malus stuck for 3 generations. I think its throwing a bone to those characters because being a dwarf stinks in game terms. Its a malus with your court and retainers and its a large malus with your wife.
Inbreeding sucks a lot more, but you don't see a Court Hillbilly title granting a prestige boost for courtiers with the Inbred trait.
Same goes for Weak and Ugly.

I am glad everyone knows how to read tooltips. ;)

85CA728B725C4500712C93FAD916BF6A17158606

I agree with those who think it's okay a "court dwarf" gets an opinion boost. You're not putting the dwarf up for show in a cage - you're giving him fine clothes, jewelry and a place at your table.

This is at a time when it was considered a great honor to be allowed to, say, refill the king's wine glass at festivities, cut his cake for him, or lead his horse by the bridle. Even as a powerful duke you would not be dishonored by being given such a role by your king - on the contrary, since this would be a very public event and everyone sees how much the king trusts you, it would raise your prestige.

Same for the dwarf. He gets to be around the king, this is a really great dignity and makes people respect him.

Should a duke or count really be able to become a "court dwarf"? It seems more like a courtier work.
There is no such thing as "courtier work". Being around the king is an honor. How people acted around the king, and how even small actions were perceived, was important. Making someone court dwarf only means you have him around you a lot of the time. It's not an official job that gets advertised in the papers. :)