+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Court dwarf

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindImpireMajesty II CollectionRome Gold
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Court dwarf

I was surprised to see this on the list of honorary titles. A character must have the dwarf trait to qualify, so I imagine a lot of people haven't encountered it yet.

My question is: why does it give a +10 opinion boost?

How is being singled out like that a good thing? Is this WAD (which means Working As Intended, for anyone that doesn't know)?

well i could be wrong because i really know anything about how things were but if movies are even close to accurate they are usually seen partying it up and being sort of an entertainment during events, i could see how a dwarf may be happy with such a title

again i know nothing and am only going by what i've seen in movies and we all know they are no real source

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I noticed that title too and I've wanted to hand it out but never had a dwarf to do so. It actually has a pretty decent prestige rating so I guess it's like they're being honored. I don't know if people thought that well of dwarves/dwarfs back then, but maybe it blew their medieval minds.

I am the one who outs Comm Cody's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    There should be an event in which the Court Dwarf can poison the king.

*nods*
    Comm Cody on some forums, 2nd_Lt_Cody on others, and Pvt. Adams [29th ID] or 2nd_Lt_Cody on steam.
    I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing!
    Leader of the Victoria III revolt!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

How has this escaped my notice? Oh yeah, I've seen like 3 dwarves EVER and none in the current version. Are there any other hidden honourary titles?
    Check out the Middle Earth Project for Crusader Kings 2!
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Earth-Project

Also Dwarves>Elves

Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

I figure that they forgot to put a negative sign on the code or something. It seems weird that this would be an honor.

Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteLeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    The Showdown EffectWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

wow i never knew of the existence of this title AWESOME! i name you Sir Tyrion Lannister, Imp, i mean dwarf of the court! +10 xDD

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I constructed a dwarf ruler for one of my games. He was King of Bohemia and Court Dwarf for the HRE, as was his son (also a dwarf) and his grandson (also). The silly malus stuck for 3 generations. I think its throwing a bone to those characters because being a dwarf stinks in game terms. Its a malus with your court and retainers and its a large malus with your wife.
    "People should not fear their governments. Governments should fear their people." V

Quote Originally Posted by Gqarz View Post
    I constructed a dwarf ruler for one of my games. He was King of Bohemia and Court Dwarf for the HRE, as was his son (also a dwarf) and his grandson (also). The silly malus stuck for 3 generations. I think its throwing a bone to those characters because being a dwarf stinks in game terms. Its a malus with your court and retainers and its a large malus with your wife.
    Inbreeding sucks a lot more, but you don't see a Court Hillbilly title granting a prestige boost for courtiers with the Inbred trait.
    Same goes for Weak and Ugly.

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneImpire
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesPirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

I am glad everyone knows how to read tooltips.

Having one, not being one. Big difference. If anything, the king could get the boost.

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

It is a place of honour in your court, you are making them more prestigious and paying them. Why would they dislike you? You didn't make them a dwarf.

On Double Secret Probation Comradebot's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comm Cody View Post

*nods*
    Eh, old ladies can already poison kings. WAD.

First Lieutenant
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae Victis

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Comm Cody View Post

*nods*
    On topic: Excellent suggestion!!

Off topic: how did you do that awesome flag in a Vic II design?? I'm asking because Greece is one my favorite countries to play in Vic II

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

I agree with those who think it's okay a "court dwarf" gets an opinion boost. You're not putting the dwarf up for show in a cage - you're giving him fine clothes, jewelry and a place at your table.

This is at a time when it was considered a great honor to be allowed to, say, refill the king's wine glass at festivities, cut his cake for him, or lead his horse by the bridle. Even as a powerful duke you would not be dishonored by being given such a role by your king - on the contrary, since this would be a very public event and everyone sees how much the king trusts you, it would raise your prestige.

Same for the dwarf. He gets to be around the king, this is a really great dignity and makes people respect him.

Crusader Kings IIMagickaSengoku

Blog Entries
    Should a duke or count really be able to become a "court dwarf"? It seems more like a courtier work.

Lets be fair, being a dwarf in the Middle Ages can't have been easy. How much higher could a dwarf get?

Crusader Kings IIMagickaSengoku

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargon of Akkad View Post
    Lets be fair, being a dwarf in the Middle Ages can't have been easy. How much higher could a dwarf get?
    There have been some really short kings in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargon of Akkad View Post
    How much higher could a dwarf get?

Queen.

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Voy View Post
    Should a duke or count really be able to become a "court dwarf"? It seems more like a courtier work.
    There is no such thing as "courtier work". Being around the king is an honor. How people acted around the king, and how even small actions were perceived, was important. Making someone court dwarf only means you have him around you a lot of the time. It's not an official job that gets advertised in the papers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast