• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(271387)

Field Marshal
19 Badges
Feb 20, 2011
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
Columbia starts as a democracy,stuck with the liberals for many years and the immigrants you get are few,and your culture is only in venezuela and ecuador,who are both strong.What are some good tips for forming Grand Columbia and dominating south america later on?

The country in south america is named columbia i think.The one near USCA

Colombia is in south america, Columbia is an alt-history nation with cores in British Columbia (A.K.A. home of Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics)
I can be a geography grammar nazi sometimes:p

Assuming you mean Colombia (Columbia is in Canada (edit: dukeofmunster beat me to it)): If you can beat Venezuela in an early war, you can deprive them of a common border with the UK. But be careful - your soldier pops are small, so if you suffer too many casualties it may take very long to replenish them. When you find yourself in a war (particularly against Brazil) use the terrain to your advantage. Wait for the enemy armies to die of attrition in the jungles and then lure them into defensive battles in favourable terrain (with reinforcements at the ready). If Columbia is successful it will get immigrants, don't worry about that.

For Colombia the main risk is that you are sphered by a GP before becoming a GP yourself, which normally makes it difficult to keep a balanced budget and is likely to result in the loss of Panama to that GP, which you can't form Gran Colombia without. One tactic to use if you are is to make the state of Panama independent just before being placed in a GP's sphere, as a delaying tactic.
You need to become a GP before about 1865 - preferably late 1850s - and the only way I have been able to do it is prestige, as Colombia can't afford an enormous army or navy and industry will be insignificant for a while. So you should first research the first two aesthetics techs, then the first tech that increases your research points. After that, commerce and industry techs will probably be needed to keep on top of your budget. You should always research prestige-improving culture techs as soon as they become available, prioritizing aesthetics in particular. This may mean not researching anything for brief periods in order to dive in as soon as these research techs become available.
At the beginning maintain good relations with Brazil, who has a core in Amazonas. When these relations are sufficient declare war to make your neighbors your puppets, adding the 'humiliate' goal for prestige.
You only need Ecuador and Venezuela to form Gran Colombia, but it's fun to try and get most of Latin America puppeted. Start with smaller less powerful states and finish with Argentina and Brazil. If Brazil is allied with a GP decrease relations so that they declare war for Amazonas.
If up to it you may be able to move on to Mexico or even the CSA. I've never been able to do this but the best tactic is to wait until the US has diminished most of their brigades before declaring war.
Once Gran Colombia is formed you will finally be financially viable, but it is unlikely that you will ever have a planned economy or state capitalism unless you use national focus to encourage these parties actively.

A quick way for territory is to 1st stomp Haiti, its a small island, rarely has friends and is not in a sphere. Then turn onto the Central Americans. Force them to release one nation and they will fall apart as each province is a different country. With Haiti and some parts of Central America either free, allied, or conquered you have expanded your country. Don't worry about your culture, it will slowly spread. As USCA I conquered Panama and turned it Central American in 10 years. A good way to gain power then is to stomp Ecuador. Between Venezuela and Ecuador, the ladder is definitely the easier one. It is only two regions and is quite easy to defeat. The galapagos islands also make a nice step for colonization in the Pacific. With the small empire you now have you may not have friends. Not to worry! If Cuba has gained independence by now, which it often does for me, you can conquer or puppet it as it makes another "free" island and one that is quite close to america. Well now you can invade Venezuela. Good luck

Do you inherit all the nations you puppet?So if i puppet all south american nations do i get to annex them after forming grand columbia?

Do you inherit all the nations you puppet?So if i puppet all South American nations do i get to annex them after forming grand columbia?

Yes. Ecuador and Venezuela need to be either sphered or puppeted; any other nations need to be puppeted. I think any nation can be a puppet - I've only done it with Latin American countries, but you could probably do it with countries on other continents.

Columbia starts as a democracy,stuck with the liberals for many years and the immigrants you get are few,and your culture is only in venezuela and ecuador,who are both strong.What are some good tips for forming Grand Columbia and dominating south america later on?

1. The party you have to start with can be remedied almost immediately. Simply call for an election on day one of the game. The conservatives will win. If you want the reactionaries instead, you'll need to use NF and stop making clergy. Not recommended.

2. Columbia and Venezuela can be beaten if you do not disband the 18000 man army you start with. Venezuela also starts with an 18000 man army but they wil disband them except for one brigade. So your primary enemy will be their allies, which can be brazil. Micromanage. A lot.

3. I'm assuming your goal is to form gran colombia. Ideally, you should puppet venezuela and ecuador and take territories from other countries. This is the most efficient allocation of your infamy points (do not waste infamy taking land from ecuador and venezuela).

4. Your number one biggest threat is a french sphered brazil. I have been unable to solve this problem. Let me know if you do.