+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any point to mechanised infantry?

Quote Originally Posted by LiamRiordan View Post
    Its very economical if you do encirclements quickly, which is what they're meant for. Though as said, anything else, use foot soldiers.
    Yeah, it's just a shame that the most efficient way to use tanks is for them to never fire a shot, ever.

One of the things I edited was lowering the hard attack of most infantry types massively so that tanks require dedicated countermeasures. Made winning against Germany much more interesting.

On Probation
    HoI Anthology

i edited misc.txt file, and removed the "armor weakness in urban combat" thing. that means that tanks still receive penalty, but not ridiculous levels of it. since its not just for armor and it refers to the softness of a unit, it solved the problem long ago.

i do however like mechas, if only because they can actually keep up and last longer in a fight than motorized, as well as move better than motorized over harsh terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    One of the things I edited was lowering the hard attack of most infantry types massively so that tanks require dedicated countermeasures. Made winning against Germany much more interesting.
    Agreed.

Militia should have 0HA, though Panzerfaust/bazookas could become an attachment available as a midwar artillery tech

Infantry should get lower HA

Mech should get enough toughness and SA to wreck militia on most terrains, or at least force a devastating kill ratio against them.

Recruit
    Darkest HourHearts of Iron III

Quote Originally Posted by Gort11 View Post
    Nobody's going to test this. There is basically no MP scene for Darkest Hour because it takes so damn long to play a game of it.
    There you are wrong, look in GameRanger - where you can easly arrange ,join games - i have had Darkest hour MP games with even 10 people in (usually its smaller number), it really changes the game + no playing on sp, as it seems so boring. + As you can play saves in Darkest hour MP, you can finish unfinished Mp game in another game, thats why i really think paradox is making best MP games.

I for one would suggest to use Mec with Arm brigades to get a cheaper and more versatile tank division. this unit could be more effective overall since it can also fight in rougher terrain and urban areas. this can be useful for the US since they can research Armored Divs later and have the IC and manpower to build large Mec formations.

Quote Originally Posted by Weserübung View Post
    I for one would suggest to use Mec with Arm brigades to get a cheaper and more versatile tank division. this unit could be more effective overall since it can also fight in rougher terrain and urban areas. this can be useful for the US since they can research Armored Divs later and have the IC and manpower to build large Mec formations.
    In the current patch, 1.02, mechanised take a huge penalty to fighting in urban areas.

Guys, did you take the HARD vs SOFT bonus into account? IIRC every soft unit gets higher ORG damage when fighting with HARD units.

Anyway, armour doesn't have to be (or even shouldn't be) more cost-effective ICdays-wise than infantry in standard fighting, but at least its nominal power should be much greater. That would make tanks more crucial during breakthroughs.

MECH vs CAV balance doesn't look right. It seems that it's rather pointless to build MECHs...

Anyway, the discussion is rather moot because 1.03 will change combat balance, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gort11 View Post
    In the current patch, 1.02, mechanised take a huge penalty to fighting in urban areas.
    as much as Arm? AFAIK my Arm is always down to 1% in urban areas - Mec too?

Jackals! Vultures! Lord Finnish's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    For me the only purpose for MEC is to mark the line between "ordinary and "elite" units.
    Mod:
    Byzantium - Imperial Restoration for Darkest Hour
    Empire of Pohjola for Crusader Kings II
    Wilhelm Scream for Crusader Kings II

AAR:
    The Nazi Time Machine - A Strange Story of the First Reich (CK2) Dead due to save game corruption. Will restart eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Weserübung View Post
    as much as Arm? AFAIK my Arm is always down to 1% in urban areas - Mec too?
    Yeah, the game engine treats all units below a certain amount of softness as tanks in this regard.

This doesn't make sense. MECHs are still infantry, they are just heavily supported by various lightly armoured vehicles. It should be changed ASAP IMO.

I have a feeling the dev response will be, "It's fixed in 1.03".

Along with global warming, the war in Afghanistan, and the human condition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2