+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Creating new events

  1. #1
    Second Lieutenant Aleksa75's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Republic of Srpska
    Posts
    191

    Creating new events

    Is there an easy way for someone who's not expert in this to create new events? I really would like to play game with lots of new historical events, that's the only thing I think is missing to this game.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksa75 View Post
    Is there an easy way for someone who's not expert in this to create new events? I really would like to play game with lots of new historical events, that's the only thing I think is missing to this game.
    I can't think of a much easier way than writing them out yourself but there is a program called notepad ++ (Google it, it's free) That's what I use and it makes writing events so much easier. It highlights brackets and you can even go so far as to create your own scripting language for it to recognize, I did this so it highlights valid commands as I type them. It sounds difficult in writing but it's soo easy.

  3. #3
    Captain Bergioyn's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDiplomacyDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    461
    Could you share that?

  4. #4
    Second Lieutenant Aleksa75's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Republic of Srpska
    Posts
    191
    Thank you for your reply. I am not that unfamiliar with computers, but I am asking about the way, or the process, of putting them actively into the game. I mean, how to make an event, with impacts on game (e.g. supplies +/-, belligerence etc.), and to put it in the game. I'm planning to create a series of events for many countries, without touching or messing around with other stuff, and put them into the game. I don't like that while playing, nothing happens, when you lead a country, sometimes for even two years.

  5. #5
    Jackals! Vultures! Lord Finnish's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    b_lahti, c_tavasts, k_finland
    Posts
    10,268
    Blog Entries
    2
    Events are actually very simple stuff, but as with everything take some time to learn it. Just read events that you know from the game, look how they are structured, and start making your own simple events.

    http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi2wiki/i...Event_Commands
    ^ Most of these apply to DH as well.
    Mod:
    Byzantium - Imperial Restoration for Darkest Hour
    Empire of Pohjola for Crusader Kings II
    Wilhelm Scream for Crusader Kings II

    AAR:
    The Nazi Time Machine - A Strange Story of the First Reich (CK2) Dead due to save game corruption. Will restart eventually.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergioyn View Post
    Could you share that?
    Notepad ++ or the language I created? the program can be downloaded at http://notepad-plus-plus.org

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksa75 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I am not that unfamiliar with computers, but I am asking about the way, or the process, of putting them actively into the game. I mean, how to make an event, with impacts on game (e.g. supplies +/-, belligerence etc.), and to put it in the game. I'm planning to create a series of events for many countries, without touching or messing around with other stuff, and put them into the game. I don't like that while playing, nothing happens, when you lead a country, sometimes for even two years.
    Did you get DH from steam? I am asking because it will be easier to tell you where to find all the files you need if I know where the game is on your computer.

    Basically you can find the Event Command.txt file in the modding documentation folder in your main DH folder (DH\Modding Documentation\Event Commands.txt) It is overwhelming at first but it goes in detail with almost every possible command you can write for your events. Go to DH\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\db\events for the main events that you can open to get examples to work with. If you get notepad ++ and have windows 7 just right click ay txt file, open with, choose default program, notepad ++, ok and now every txt file will automatically open in Notepad ++ (Sorry if you already know these things, you say you don't know much about computers so I am just assuming it's very little just to be safe, no offense intended.) When you make you event you have to save it either in that last directory I showed you or, as I personally recommend, create your own folder within that directory than save your events there. Once your event are in place goto dh\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\db\ and open events.txt and at the bottom of the file write "db\events\<your-event-file-name>.txt" or "db\events\<your-created-file>\<your-event-file-name>.txt" depending on where you saved it. Your best bet on getting started is taking a look at the event commands and events already in the game and try to memorize the format. Almost every event uses the same starting commands so it is best to remember them.

  7. #7
    Second Lieutenant Aleksa75's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Republic of Srpska
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmackie View Post
    Notepad ++ or the language I created? the program can be downloaded at http://notepad-plus-plus.org



    Did you get DH from steam? I am asking because it will be easier to tell you where to find all the files you need if I know where the game is on your computer.

    Basically you can find the Event Command.txt file in the modding documentation folder in your main DH folder (DH\Modding Documentation\Event Commands.txt) It is overwhelming at first but it goes in detail with almost every possible command you can write for your events. Go to DH\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\db\events for the main events that you can open to get examples to work with. If you get notepad ++ and have windows 7 just right click ay txt file, open with, choose default program, notepad ++, ok and now every txt file will automatically open in Notepad ++ (Sorry if you already know these things, you say you don't know much about computers so I am just assuming it's very little just to be safe, no offense intended.) When you make you event you have to save it either in that last directory I showed you or, as I personally recommend, create your own folder within that directory than save your events there. Once your event are in place goto dh\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\db\ and open events.txt and at the bottom of the file write "db\events\<your-event-file-name>.txt" or "db\events\<your-created-file>\<your-event-file-name>.txt" depending on where you saved it. Your best bet on getting started is taking a look at the event commands and events already in the game and try to memorize the format. Almost every event uses the same starting commands so it is best to remember them.
    No offense taken, of course. Thank you very much for this explanation!
    If you or someone else is interested in making a mod where we would only add number of events for most of the countries, just to make it more realistic and more fun (feeling as being part of the history), you are welcome to join.

  8. #8
    Captain Bergioyn's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDiplomacyDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmackie View Post
    Notepad ++ or the language I created? the program can be downloaded at http://notepad-plus-plus.org
    The Language.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergioyn View Post
    The Language.
    HERE

    Put the file anywhere you can find it easily

    In notepad ++, click view;User-Defined Dialogue...;Click Import then navigate to the file. I have never tried it but it should work

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksa75 View Post
    No offense taken, of course. Thank you very much for this explanation!
    If you or someone else is interested in making a mod where we would only add number of events for most of the countries, just to make it more realistic and more fun (feeling as being part of the history), you are welcome to join.
    What kind of events? for Major or Minor countries? I'd wait if I were you because 1.03 is supposed to come out this month and mods designed for 1.02 will be incompatible. I'd also be available as more of a consultant or small things (Mostly getting you pointed in the right direction and little things like that) because once 1.03 is out most of my DH time will be put into finishing the mod in my signature.

  11. #11
    Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,398
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmackie View Post
    HERE

    Put the file anywhere you can find it easily

    In notepad ++, click view;User-Defined Dialogue...;Click Import then navigate to the file. I have never tried it but it should work
    It worked after i changed the file extension from .txt to .xml but looks good so far

    DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game


  12. #12
    Second Lieutenant Aleksa75's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Republic of Srpska
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmackie View Post
    What kind of events? for Major or Minor countries? I'd wait if I were you because 1.03 is supposed to come out this month and mods designed for 1.02 will be incompatible. I'd also be available as more of a consultant or small things (Mostly getting you pointed in the right direction and little things like that) because once 1.03 is out most of my DH time will be put into finishing the mod in my signature.
    The idea is to kill time until 1.03 version comes out, but also to explore the history in interbellum period, the events that led to war. For example, killing the Yugoslav king in 1936. in France by Croat fascists was supported by Italy, then anti-German protests in Belgrade were organized by UK and etc. That's only for Yugoslavia, but these kinds of events directly influenced the war.
    I would like to put these events in 1933. campaign, and we would do country by country (by our choice).
    If you are interested, find me on Skype (aleksaineshtojosh).

  13. #13
    I guess the best - and an easy way - is to look for existing events.
    You figure out how they are written, how they work and how to combine (trigger) events.
    Copy them and change at your will.

    I find it more difficult to find the correct pictures and to keep a certain balance. You can add troops, ic or buildings - quite tempting sometimes.

    If you go for "flavour" events - please check out the different mods around.

  14. #14
    Second Lieutenant Aleksa75's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Republic of Srpska
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Werth View Post
    I guess the best - and an easy way - is to look for existing events.
    You figure out how they are written, how they work and how to combine (trigger) events.
    Copy them and change at your will.

    I find it more difficult to find the correct pictures and to keep a certain balance. You can add troops, ic or buildings - quite tempting sometimes.

    If you go for "flavour" events - please check out the different mods around.
    Thanks Werth. I already got the assistance. I don't know much about coding, so I am only preparing historical events. I want them to influence dissent, relations, supplies and similar things, to fill the void especially in the years before the war, when you play for months with a nation, and nothing really happens.

  15. #15
    Hi Aleksa75,
    I would recommend to check Fernando Torres mod for World in flames II.
    He has made - till now mostly for Germany - some nice pre-war events.
    As Lord Finnish already said, using the existing commands is fairly simple.
    It just takes some time to test -and some math to count the number of brackets }

  16. #16
    Second Lieutenant Aleksa75's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Republic of Srpska
    Posts
    191
    Yes, I did, thank you, I offered him cooperation. If you would like to join, you are welcome!

  17. #17
    First Lieutenant
    Darkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    274
    I want to help out, i always liked adding some custom events of my own in my files, I always thought DH gets better with each new flavour event. I would like to join you guys.

  18. #18
    Second Lieutenant Aleksa75's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Republic of Srpska
    Posts
    191
    Great, add me on Skype (aleksaineshtojosh).

  19. #19
    First Lieutenant
    Darkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    274
    Sent a message to your inbox.

  20. #20
    Captain Bergioyn's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDiplomacyDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmackie View Post
    HERE

    Put the file anywhere you can find it easily

    In notepad ++, click view;User-Defined Dialogue...;Click Import then navigate to the file. I have never tried it but it should work
    Thanks

    EDIT: The link doesn't work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts