• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Doom! Doom! Doom!

Let's see how long they can hold the Berlin perimeter.

The Japanese rampage through Asia is funny. Seems like they're running out of places to conquer. What next - Hawaii, then the US West Coast??

Incredible. I really wanted to see a proper Endgame in a Carnage series.

I think we're all in your debt for sharing this game with us. :)

The war is about defeating the enemy in detail, first you need air superiority to prevent the enemy from sinking your ships and bombing important infrastructure, the failure of the British RAF to defend the homeland in the start of the war showed this. To get air superiority you need more planes (obvious) but as much more air ports to deploy your strength, also destroying the enemy air ports takes on importance.

Then under cover of the new planes and air ports you destroy the enemy fleets, well shown by the Japanese and Italian players in the mid game. The catastrophic losses by the British fleet prevented the allies from holding the Mediterranean, the axis showed much initiative in securing the right air bases and concentrating the fleets.

Once the fleets can operate under cover of the air bases the ground troops can more effective gain ground, this has to happen at the edge of the enemy controlled areas unless you can land with a war winning 100 divisions across the channel. The ground forces capture more air bases at the edges to gradually project strength into the enemy centre.

The defeat at Suez might not have been preventable but the losses at the invasions in France could by invading in north Africa, Portugal and Spain instead. The island bases there can be used to build up air ports that are secured from German panzers and then cover the invasions of the south. Spain is so far from the Soviet front that the Panzers would add another 2-4 weeks of rail movement to reach them and they would be much less effective in the hills of northern Spain than in the flats of France and Benelux.

The Spanish front would bind loads of axis troops even if Spain held out in the north, constantly threatening to invade south France and cut everything off. Binding still more divisions to prevent this. Should the axis succeed in pushing the allies back, the threat of invasion of the north would bind a lot of troops to prevent the capture of the southern forces. The strength of Italy and Spain would quickly be drained by the constant fighting, both in MP and IC.

Same with a Soviet attack on Turkey, the axis could chose to bind a lot of troops there, but then the east front would be weakened and again the distance would prevent the rail-circus from becoming so dominant. Not fighting in east Turkey would mean the middle east would be open to the Soviets and the puny Italian forces would be crushed there, closing the Suez.

Is it possible, mathematically, to take out Germany without going near Berlin? That would, of course, depend on Germany's NU, which I don't know.
If they do have to take it to Berlin itself, that just might be the most exhaustive battle of them all. That close to Berlin, deployed intelligently, would give Cap incredibly short supply lines.
Man, I would love to sneak a peak at his supply and fuel pools right about now.

The game ends in mid 1945. Allies/Commies must have 2/3 of the VPs to win (Hoping to prolongue a game where Axis-advance has stopped).

It's beautiful to see this rule work exactly as intended. Should you actually manage to hold on another six months, will you play on until crushed, just for fun (and us)?

Gulp. This is the end, I reckon the Germans can hold out for roughly a month or two under constant allied attacks. Not enough airfields though to protect all the troops I imagine once clustered around Berlin. Repair rates will be horrendous.

I'm not even sure Germany is central anymore. Japan's covering a lot of ground in Asia, and while that area isn't as VP-dense as Europe, it's going to add up, bit by bit. Recall that the rule isn't that the axis must have 1/3rd of VP. It's that the allies "Must hold 2/3rds of all VPs to win". That means, as far as I can tell, that neutrals count for the axis, not the allies. And that, combined with Japan's current conquests, might be enough to allow an axis victory, even without Germany. Mind you, those 30 VPs from Berlin would certainly help, but I don't think the game necessarily depends on Captain Easy's last stand.

It all depends on how much Japan can take in the next few months, and how much they can hold, once the allies turn their baleful gaze eastwards once again.

With Japan knocking out Australia and New Zealand, his supply situation should've been much improved, it's just a matter of IC I presume. May be it'd be time for the IJN to sail out for that one last battle against the Allies. With nothing to lose and the game coming to an end, it'd be high time for the Japanese to kick in the Suez door and wreak havoc on the Allied lines.

Please just try to see if you can hold out longer than real life

I'd like to join the chorus in letting you know what an awesome AAR this has been. Please keep writing it to let us know at least if you manage to survive longer than Germany did historically. Wouldn't it be interesting if you were forced to give up between 4/30 and 5/8 as in real life? I guess the Japanese push from the far east is not nearing Moscow or anything. Maybe that is the only thing that could help you now.

However this ends (and I'm sure it will be spectacular), I'd love to hear from the various players how they think the post-war world will look compared to OTL. Without a doubt, Japan will not be as humbled. As for the rest of the belligerents, I think it all depends on the end game in central Europe.

Chapter LV - The Battle for Germany

Players: 2xSOV, USA, UK, 2xGER, 2xJAP

Recap: The Brits landed unopposed in France. With Italy gone, there were no units left in France. Also, the front against the Americans in Denmark is preciously weak, but the Americans seem not to know it – or they have other plans. Yanks are swarming up through Switzerland and the Red Army rushing for land-grabbing. The final battle is at our door-step.

December 22nd, 1944

The vultures were massing at all fronts. The biggest tactical problem for the German commander of the Heer (me) was to shift units from the eastern and southern front to set up a defensive line towards the oncoming Allies. The German commander of the Luftwaffe (Thelamon) had the problem of air bases falling into enemy hands. Germany had during late summer and autumn built several small airfields, just for this reason, but they could not match the huge (lvl 10) airfields which now fell in enemy hands.

December 26th, 1944

A huge Soviet tank army attacked Prague. But they faced stubborn resistans. They also had supply problems, were troubled by the cold weather and were not at all optimal for urban warfare. But Ztalin did not care. He wanted the city at any cost. He got it eventually, but at a high cost.

December 28th-31st, 1944

Germany still used its forces offensively. While the Wall of Victory still deflected every Soviet attack, protecting the flank, the Panzers of Legend beat the Red Army twice as they tried to enter Jauer. As long as they could not mount an attack from Jauer, Glogau was safe.

December 31st, 1944

The noose is becoming tighter. The first Allied troops has now reached the thin, hastily formed West Front. According to the plan, the West Front was allowed to retreat a few provinces, to slow the Allies down, while a “wall” was prepared behind the next latitudinal river. That line would be final, the wall that must hold. The Final Stand of the West

Late December, 1944

Everything will not be decided in Europe. Japan is still conquering more and more of the world. However, the Brits seem to have been daring out of the Suez and have attacked the brave and loyal Saudis… defeating them.

January 10th, 1945
(It feels pretty cool to write 1945)

The Allies are massing around the thin West Front. They seem to respect the German prowess so much they don’t even attack single divisions. While the Allies are stalled, the Final Stand of the West is being manned and the troops dig in.

The Yanks are moving in a powerful strike army in the center of the West Front, seemingly to take up the race with the Red Army. It will hurt when it reaches the front.

January 10th-11th, 1945

The Wehrmacht could not keep Jauer free forever, and with Jauer in Soviet hands, the pressure on Glogau increased. But the Heer held firm and piled up Soviet bodies high in front of them. The Battle for Germany was not an easy one for the invaders.

January 21st, 1945

In the meantime, the Imperial Japanese Navy spotted an American Carrier Fleet and engaged. The suspected a trap but as the war seemed to be in the final stage, they hungered for yet another grand battle. The proud Japanese sailors could not imagine coming home alive if defeat indeed became a reality. And oh was the battle great. The American Carrier Fleet was beaten with several losses but suddenly the ocean was full of Allied war ships. It was indeed a trap.

In the end, the first Japanese Carrier Fleet fought until last man and last ship, taking many enemy ships with them to the bottom of the Pacific. So much death and economic value was lost on both side this day it was as epic as it was horrible.

January 22nd, 1945

So much fear and respect did the Brits have for the Germans that they send some 60 000 men into Hannover to beat 500 Germans. These brave 500 lasted for three days. The Allies are now closing in on the Final Stand of the West.

January 23rd, 1945

The Red Hordes attacked furiously now. Ztalin would not hear about anything but victory. Losses meant nothing to him. And oh did they bleed. The left a trail of mutilated bodies and burning wrecks as the all so slowly pushed the Germans back. And the Germans had to retreat, if only to shorten the southern front and shift units to the Final Stand of the West.

January 26th-29th, 1945

In late January, the American strike army tried a tank attack on the Final Stand of the West. It was the four day battle of Zerbst. They were brutally defeated. This was the Final German Stand. It would not break.

January 26th, 1945

The Red Army is pressing on from the south and is allowed to gain ground slowly and with high casualties (blue arrows). Ztalin has given up on the Wall of Victory. It is simply not his path to victory.

The Americans are trying their luck at Zerbst but will eventually fail (red arrow).

While the Brits show no eagerness, the Yanks are finally attacking out of Denmark where Germany is weakest (yellow arrow). This line needs to be shortened down somewhat and the Commander of the Heer is preparing a tactical retreat.

The Commader of the Luftwaffe is having distinct problems now. There are simply not airbases enough for the planes, and the majority needs resting after beating their enemies time and time again. From now on, that will be very difficult to keep up.

January 29th, 1945

Authors note: The surrender progress went quicker than I thought. I thought it would more or less come down to Berlin but the Allied rocket bombing of civilian targets had decreased the peoples will to carry on. As there still was VPs not taken in France, the German commander became nervous and realized the final circle perhaps was too small.

January 31st, 1945

In the hour of victory, the Allies chose to target civilians, killing them by the thousands as they were leveling Dresden. Who would do such a thing?

Authors note: Oh, I forgot. That was actually the reality….

January 31st-February 1st, 1945

My friends. This is my last screen shot. It was a mistake to retreat out of Kiel (yellow circle). When the Allies took it on February 1st, Germany surrendered. My intended last stand would have been strong – but sadly I drew the circle too small. Still, if the circle seen here is too small, then it would have been impossible to stall it longer than one or two more weeks. In hindsight, I should have sent some reinforcements to Hamburg and Kiel. But… alas… it would have changed little. Time is up. Time to drink my cup of poison…

…………………………………………………………….
Epilogue

Hitler knew things were lost beyond savior. Since the loss of Gibraltar, his hope had been slim. So, in order to save his Germany from total annihilation he secretly sent one of his men, in the disguise of defector, paradropping over Britain. Hitler had something to bargain with. He had over a million allied men as prisoners. The public in the Allied countries had become weary of the war and all knew somebody still alive in German captivity. The Allied governments needed a grand victory in order avoid a public out-roar and anarchy. If Hitler ordered the prisoners to death, the Allies would be tricked on their grand victory. Also, there was Japan, still refusing peace. Ztalin was not very interested as the Allied probed him for a suggestion of peace, but he also had a million men in German camps. He needed them as well, although not as much. Ztalin despised the Allies, their weakness, their late entry on European soil, how Soviet had done the bleeding but got the poorer part of Europe. He knew this was not the war to end all wars. This was just beginning. Japan was still rulers of the entire Pacific. Japan despised America as well. Ztalin would need the Japs to shield Far East from the Yanks and a deal was made in secrecy.

With this secret deal made, Ztalin and the Emperor agreed with the peace treaty worked out in between Germany and the Allies. Germany regained a core as true Germany but had to let go of some parts to mainly France and Poland. They also needed to dismantle the entire army and Hitler was placed in Allied custody. The prisoners of war were released.

Italy got to keep its mainland and Sicily but lost Sardinia and its colonies and, just as Germany, had Allied bases integrated within the new country. Il Duce seemed to have disappeared.

The deal for Japan would be similar. Only, when time came for it to become reality, Japan refused and was supported by the Soviet Union. This, of course, came with a cost of a huge technology transfer to Soviet as well as giving them Sinkiang, Mongolia, Tanu Tuva and Manchuria.

The Allies could not muster the will to challenge this new Alliance and a cold war was initiated which finally in 1975 escalated to a Third World War, with USA and the commonwealth on one side, and Soviet and Japan on the other. Germany still had nothing but a neutral fragment army but many of the old officers and soldiers were brought in as mercenaries on both sides. Il Duce showed up in Japan, rather fat by now, as an advisor to the Emperor. He was assassinated in 1976. Some say it was some of the Japanese officers who simply grew tired on his long monologues.

Hitler was placed on a remote and very secret location in the United States from which he never left – officially. Although the books he wrote never became bestsellers, as they were quite tedious, his paintings were sold for 5-digit amounts. The money was donated to a global fund for war veterans. Hitler refused to take part in the Third World War.

End.

A defeat! Our efforts were useless before the onslaught! Our defeat is measureless!

;)

Whew... well it was inevitable in the end. Well done for almost blunting the Allied offensive though! Did you win by VP or was it all too much in the end?

I am captivated, as always, by your multiplayer AARs, and I look forward to seeing how you'll do in the next game with TFH (hopefully!)

And there you have it. One city, one VP. Game over.

And what a glorious game it was! Too bad we will never know if the last German stand would have held out.

Praise all around to the entire Carnage group for giving us the very first to last to 1945. Europe is in total ruins, and the world has changed. Maybe you could hold on to the save and continue into East vs. west? (hint hint)

Amazing AAR - thank you so much for putting in all the effort to screenshot and do the write ups. Very bittersweet that it has come to an end! Fantastic game!

Would love to hear some stories from the other players to see how it was like on the other side!

Now that was a rather unexpected ending. Glad to see that the IJN sailed out one last time.
I do wonder why UK spent any attention on Saudi Arabia while being strangely quiet in Europe. Wouldn't it have been more worthwhile to act there instead?

Looking forward for comments of the other players.

Epic stuff! I think the RL Allies would've lost if they were tested so.