+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Legacy of Rome - Dev Diary 1

Game Director Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Legacy of Rome - Dev Diary 1

Hello again folks, it's time for another dev diary on Legacy of Rome! Today, I'll talk about the new Faction system as well as the changes we have made to Plots and Ambitions. Like I mentioned last Wednesday, Factions are part of patch 1.07 and will be available to everyone free of charge.

Factions are, essentially, a kind of Plot; a Faction has a leader, a number of members, and a clear goal (for example, to Lower Crown Authority in the Kingdom of England). However, there are some key differences: Factions always target the liege, and they are always known to the liege as well as the other vassals. A vassal can lead up to two Factions, but be a member in any number of other factions, unless their goals are contradictory. If a faction leader dies, the most powerful remaining faction member automatically takes over as leader. When the leader thinks the Faction is powerful enough, he can issue an ultimatum to his liege. The liege can then either give in to the demands peacefully or refuse, which triggers a Civil War where all faction members revolt together in an alliance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LoR_01_ERE_Factions.jpg
Views:	5882
Size:	719.6 KB
ID:	63369

Currently, we have the following Factions:
    • Succession by Primogeniture in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
    • Succession by Seniority in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
    • Succession by Gavelkind in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
    • Elective Monarchy in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
    • Lower Crown Authority in [Title] (used to be a Plot)
    • Independence
    • Install [Claimant] in [Title]

The last two are of special interest, since they really change the dynamics of the game. AI vassals will no longer just declare wars for Independence, or revolt to install themselves on the throne. Instead, they will seek to gain enough support before daring to take such drastic measures. I.e. all members in an Independence faction will declare war together, and the war score will be determined by their mutual efforts. If they are lucky, other vassals can also ask to join them while the war is ongoing. We are considering adding some more factions, but the more we add, the trickier it is to get the balance right and the AI to pick the ones that make most sense. Factions are, of course, fully moddable, like Plots.

Name:	LoR_01_ERE_Possible_Factions.jpg
Views:	5382
Size:	713.9 KB
ID:	63370

As a liege, there are several things you can do to suppress Factions: you can make the members like you more (of course), you can imprison or kill the members, and you can send your Spymaster to Scheme in a faction member's province, which can lead to events where the vassal is blackmailed, threatened or cajoled into desisting.

As a vassal, it is dangerous to be in Factions because the liege will not be pleased by your disloyal politicking. If you are not the leader, you can also find yourself dragged into an inopportune uprising when the Faction leader so decides. You can get other vassals to join your Faction in the same way the liege can suppress it; you can make them like you better, or send your Spymaster to "convince" them.

You can start, join, or leave Factions at any time without cooldowns or penalties; it's essentially just a declaration of support for a goal.

That's it for Factions. Another change in patch 1.07 is the separation of Plots and Ambitions in the interface. Characters are now allowed to have both a Plot and an Ambition. Plots are still mainly handled in the Intrigue View, but Ambitions, being personal, are now only selected in the main Character View; and there are more of them. We have added Ambitions for improving each of your basic skills (Diplomacy, Martial, etc), as well as one for decreasing the Decadence of your dynasty. While you have the Ambition, there is chance that various related events will trigger.

Name:	LoR_01_Ambition.jpg
Views:	5062
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	63368

I should probably mention that, since they change the core gameplay, all of these features are available for all characters and not just the Byzantine Empire. That's it for now, stay tuned for more tidbits next Wednesday!
    Last edited by Doomdark; 12-09-2012 at 15:04.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteMagicka

I hope there won't be another shitstrom for this DLC...
    "...Democracy is the worst form of government, except all those other forms that have been tried..."
    -Winston Churchill

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Nice changes, Doomdark. Any chance of a purple UI? Seems a popular request.
    For awesome CK II graphical stuff please click here and here.

I'm currently working on my own set of semi-historical scenarios for CK II. ETA: Q1 '15.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I hope this gets released soon

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Interesting! have you also changed the portrait styles for children?, or is it just a new one for byzantine children. - Actually the adult portraits look different too. have you made some more small changes in variability?
    Adding breadth and depth to the medieval aspects of economy, technology & the military - Magnate Lords A mod for CK2

Whoa, are those new character images for kids I spy in the last screenshot? If so, AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by apg View Post
    Interesting! have you also changed the portrait styles for children?, or is it just a new one for byzantine children.
    The portraits in the screenshots are work in progress for a new Portrait Pack DLC.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Quote Originally Posted by Sleight of Hand View Post
    Nice changes, Doomdark. Any chance of a purple UI? Seems a popular request.
    I'm afraid not this time.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    The portraits in the screenshots are work in progress for a new Portrait Pack DLC.
    Awesome. Are West Africans included here, or is it specific to the Byzantines?
    For awesome CK II graphical stuff please click here and here.

I'm currently working on my own set of semi-historical scenarios for CK II. ETA: Q1 '15.

Crusader Kings IIDungeonlandEU3 CompleteLeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    The Showdown EffectWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India

looking great already Doomdark
    any chance for black ppl in this portrait pack?
    or the purple UI for the Byz/orthodox?
    btw, you guys absolutely rock can't wait for realease already

Quote Originally Posted by Sleight of Hand View Post
    Awesome. Are West Africans included here, or is it specific to the Byzantines?
    I cannot really say more about that.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Will making vassals like you have more impact in this patch than the current? I noticed in the current version, some vassals still revolts at 100 positive relation.

This looks awesome.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Nifty! So Doomdark, do the Liege's get to see the various factions in their realm? If so can they imprision, or are there plots/events related to, the people of the faction?
    Voltaire - "I would rather be ruled by one lion than by one hundred rats."

My Inkwell

Crusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamEUIV: Art of War

As a liege, there are several things you can do to suppress Factions: [...] you can imprison [...] the members[...]
    With or without incurring tyranny?

If you are not the leader, you can also find yourself dragged into an inopportune uprising when the Faction leader so decides.
    Perhaps it would make sense to have an option when joining the faction to say "Ok, I'll support your faction, but I won't join in an open revolt without the faction having a strength of at least x%.", so you won't get dragged into a suicidal revolt? Then the faction leaders interface would tell him how many men would actually stand by him if he were to issue the ultimatum now.

For The Glory

You can start, join, or leave Factions at any time without cooldowns or penalties; it's essentially just a declaration of support for a goal.
    Don't you mean 'declaration of commitment' seeing as you will be dragged into it when the faction leader decides?
    AARs of Sir Svip OLIR:
    Glory for Ulm A Flagland AAR (Europa Universalis IV) (ongoing)
    Winner of: ACA 2014 Q2: EUIV, ACA 2014 Q1: EUIV (Split), AARtist of the Month (May 2014), Seal of Mythic Approval and having the same title as another popular AAR.
    Ulm plays Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods as Someone (finished), Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness as Austria (finished) and March of the Eagles as Russia (finished)
    Winner of: Hats.
    Glory for Ulm A Flagland AAR (Europa Universalis III) (ended)
    Winner of: Europa Univeralis: The Musical, Cities in Motion DLC: Ulm, AARtist of the Month (June 2011), (Royal Dutch Cheese of Anti-Frognessship), (Swedish Meatball of Volvo and Björn Borg), (Cyan Blue Cookie of Awesomeness), (Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness), ACA 2010 Q4: EU Comedy, (Paradox Cookie), WritAAR of the Week (2011-01-30), "Best everything, ever" award, (Irish Shamrock Cookie) and being in this signature.
    Full list at my Inkwell

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar

Blog Entries
    so do factions completely overwrite plots?
    for example, does the lower crown authority faction take precedence/overwrite/runs in parallel with a lower crown authority plot by a same character?
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - RESUMED]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

would make HRE more viable to collapse i think, since the Italians would join forces to throw HRE out of their area instead of the regular each duchy for itsself, which the Emperor usually can mop up with little issuew

Quote Originally Posted by Tokie View Post
    Will making vassals like you have more impact in this patch than the current? I noticed in the current version, some vassals still revolts at 100 positive relation.
    Yes, at 80 or above, they will never cause trouble.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Quote Originally Posted by Tapscott View Post
    Nifty! So Doomdark, do the Liege's get to see the various factions in their realm? If so can they imprision, or are there plots/events related to, the people of the faction?
    Like I said, Factions are not hidden to the liege. However, membership in a faction is not cause enough for a "free" imprisonment.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast