• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dulcamara

Second Lieutenant
88 Badges
Jul 29, 2010
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
I've played about halfway through the original campaign so far. Really enjoying many aspects of the game - art direction, quests, magic, storyline & environment, etc. Have to say though the battles have been disappointing - while I didn't expect the full detail and AI of the Total War series, the lack of flanking, individual unit morale, persistent corpses, etc, really make them feel kind of lifeless.

Problem is, there are *a lot* of them! And the auto-battle function is nearly unusable as it hits you with FAR more losses than you'd take normally, even if you just mindlessly rushed the enemy (at least in TW the auto losses were reasonable). So I'm forced to play out each tedious battle - once in a while this is fine, as when you're fighting against long odds at a climactic point in the campaign, but when it's just taking villages and castles from numerous Saxon armies it gets rather boring.

Guess my question is, does this improve later in the game? Any suggestions for making things more enjoyable?
Also is there any hidden setting to keep army casualities from disappearing every 10 seconds or so?
I want to love this game, I really do, but am considering shelving it rather than spend hours more on the strangely uninspiring battles.

As you said quests, storyline and environment are strong point of the game. Battle is not so much, therefore I just play on beginner/easy difficulty to enjoy the story and to rush through the battles. For battles I play Medieval II total War.

Personally, I liked the battles of King Arthur. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

As you said quests, storyline and environment are strong point of the game. Battle is not so much, therefore I just play on beginner/easy difficulty to enjoy the story and to rush through the battles. For battles I play Medieval II total War.

Has the game been patched or received an unofficial patch that drastically enhances the autobattle system?

I remember this being one of my most favorite games ever, but that I eventually never finished because of having to play literally every single darn battle.