• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OneAussieMan777

Colonel
28 Badges
Apr 27, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Iron Cross
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 2
  • For the Motherland
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
(EDIT #4)

I believe that this experiment has been successful and I HAVE reached 1963. (Should work on all other mods if they don't use event IDs 9999000-9999999. My 1st event chain ever so please any critiques or pointers will be well taken. :wub: The events mark some of the major (and minor) medical inventions and breakthroughs of the early 20th Century. The bonuses awarded are rather tiny to maintain decent game balance and the events are mainly for flavour and my own little experiment. To use the event chain copy and paste the following;

event = "db\events\aar-events\medical_breakthroughs.txt" into aar-events.txt

and copy the "scientist" picture from

Games\Darkest Hour\gfx\events_pics and paste into Games\Darkest Hour\Mods\AAR\gfx\events_pics

copy and paste medical_breakthroughs into Games\Darkest Hour\Mods\AAR\db\events\aar-events OR any other mod you wish to apply this to. I currently only play AAR so will look into other mods if this
mini-chain is successful enough to warrant one. I would also like to note that unless the date is day/month/year then only the year is historically correct and that the day/month is randomly selected by me. As stated above and below if this works as well as I hope, I will expand on this event chain and add nation specifics and timelines well into the 70's for use in other mods. If the time is found "gadget_breakthroughs" will soon appear. I would also like to state that I knew almost none of the information contained in the above file before I came up with the idea. I also agree with Epaminondas that there is over representation of European and American researchers. Depending on success will also be expanded upon and I hope to add namely non-European and non-US research.

Thanks to Arcangelus' help there is a .csv version ready for use at;
http://www.mediafire.com/?95kf6c8vlhjjkcj

I would also like to thank the DH developers who dropped in and gave me the sound advice I needed to improve the original .txt work.

Last edited:
Well I've been educated already, Aussie - quite an informative little package. While it's mainly colour, as you say, I think you could give it more of a game slant by tying the benefits to the nations originating the breakthroughs for a period, with a supplementary event making them generally available at a later date.

I don't have the background to know whether they over-represent the work of English speaking researchers, but at a quick glance they give that impression.

Edited 1st post (you are right about over-representation)

Neat. It's nice to have more flavour. Although I'm not sure about the event effects. Have you tried submitting your work to AAR devs yet? Could be a nice minor addition to whatever for the post 1.03 content update they were talking about.

I love historical flavour! I'll certainly add this to the game once 1.03 comes out.

Could you please put your texts in Mods.csv files instead of directly in the event?
It would make it easier for other people to re-use your work and merge it with a larger mod - only if you agree of course.

I don't know how :eek:o But it's here for anyone to use so long as due credit is passed on...

Neat. It's nice to have more flavour. Although I'm not sure about the event effects. Have you tried submitting your work to AAR devs yet? Could be a nice minor addition to whatever for the post 1.03 content update they were talking about.

No, this is just a stand-alone... I'm pessimistic about the success of this so we'll see what happens.

No one will use it with texts inside the events..
Thanks for answering anyway

That's quite mean Fernando. :p
Many mods have text inside the events. Like AAR! :laugh:
(jk, we are trying to move them all to mods.csv)

heh, there's DH devs meeting here it seems :)

What Fernando Torres said is correct. Check how this is done in other mods or in DH Full if you like.
As we spent a lot of time on game optimization and most players seem to appreciate that I would allow myself to make few notes on the way you write events and how these can be speed and read optimized.

1. TAG = { ... } section is meant to be used only when limited number of countries are supposed to have this (otherwise) generic event. If you want all countries to have it, then you can just skip this section. That increases readability and shows your intention clearly (should fire for all countries) to everyone that reads the event.
2. Offset = 1 is very bad thing to use in events. This means the event is checked every day (between date and deathdate) by every country that has it and if you add a lot of such events (or events with heavy triggers) the game will start to lag at 0 o'clock. Offset = 1 should be cautiously used only for critical events. If you check DH Full you'll see that we rarely use offset less then 5-7 and sometimes we go to 30 and above.
3. For events that should trigger on a preset date you don't need offset and deathdate at all, but just date = { the date when you want this to trigger }

There are some more tips at the end of event commands.txt that can be found in your Modding documentation folder.

BTW I like the way you format your events. I always appreciate when people write properly formatted code. :)

Last edited:
heh, there's DH devs meeting here it seems :)

What Fernando Torres said is correct. Check how this is done in other mods or in DH Full if you like.
As we spent a lot of time on game optimization and most players seem to appreciate that I would allow myself to make few notes on the way you write events and how these can be speed and read optimized.

1. TAG = { ... } section is meant to be used only when limited number of countries are supposed to have this (otherwise) generic event. If you want all countries to have it, then you can just skip this section. That increases readability and shows your intention clearly (should fire for all countries) to everyone that reads the event.
Are you sure about that?. I remember that a DH member (don't remember who thought) mentioned that it was more efficient to write TAG = {...} instead of leave that place empty. He said something in the lines of "trust me, is just better".

BTW I like the way you format your events. I always appreciate when people write properly formatted code. :)
+1 :D

BTW, I already moved the text from the event file to mod.csv. But this is not my mod, so I send it to the autor so he decide if he take it or does it himself.

Are you sure about that?. I remember that a DH member (don't remember who thought) mentioned that it was more efficient to write TAG = {...} instead of leave that place empty. He said something in the lines of "trust me, is just better".

+1 :D

BTW, I already moved the text from the event file to mod.csv. But this is not my mod, so I send it to the autor so he decide if he take it or does it himself.

I finally worked out how to make .csv files work... I find I can just open the files with notepad or notepad ++ hehe...

this is highly inappropriate you dirty sicko