• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(200028)

Colonel
18 Badges
Mar 18, 2010
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
I'd like to hear what you guys think. I really enjoy both games, so this is not a thread about favoritism; but both games belong to the same genre, (almost the same theme), but their mechanical differences are numerous, so I would like to hear your opinions about which is more replayable. If this is an inappropriate board to post this in, (because it contains a comparison to EU3), I apologize.

Obviously, in EU3, some sort of territorial acquisition is where your success is measured for the most part. Getting the map a painted a certain way is typically the goal. Acquiring that land is tough, usually, and where a good deal of the fun is. The checks and balances of EU3, such as alliances, guarantees, and several other things, as well as the actual means by which land is acquired, makes the game fun and challenging, (for most players, I would assume), almost every time. Yet, once you actually control that land, and have it well secured, there's little else that you can do with it, even if it does provide you with manpower and money. It's almost like a trophy, in that it is a piece of your success.

In Victoria II, the depth goes a little deeper but not wider, if that makes any sense. Within each province, there is a very well modeled population, and intricate economic statistics. Once you have a certain amount of land, you can still do more than just sit there and wait to acquire more. You can pay attention to each province, and how its population is fluctuating, (and the statistics of the existing population). In reaction to the changes you have observed, you can build factories, or set a National Focus on an area that needs attention. I'm not saying that this will always captivate you, but you can industrialize, and do stuff besides questing for more land. In the same way that the results of of how the territory is divided among nations in EU3 is interesting, the results of the world economy, and industrial growth are interesting in Victoria II. The main problem here, is that because the game has a much shorter time-span, and the world starts with several very powerful nations, the territorial differences from game to game, (with exclusion to the player's own nation), will be minimal. The United States will usually form its historical borders, Prussia will form Germany, Africa will be divided in a similar manner, (once again, excluding the player). The map of the world in 1936 is usually similar to its historical counterpart, and doesn't have that same interesting flare the EU's does at game's end.

In addition to which game is more replayable, I'd like to ask why.

As a sub-question, I've heard that the original Victoria was extremely immersive and replayable - that people would master the game and still keep coming back, but I don't hear these sorts of things for Victoria II. Why is this? Is it due to the largely automated World Market? I caught on to Paradox too late to have have heard much about the original game, even though I did some lurking on its sub-forum.

Thank you!

Your OP is pretty spot on. Replayability would be mostly a personal preference of which method of advancement is more fun and which game you feel better at. Personally, Vic2 was the game that really came easiest to me, so I find it easier to think of new and interesting campaigns than in EU3. Maybe it's because I'm not much of a land-grabber and can still feel accomplished by colonizing, industrializing, and managing economics.

I'd say that Europa has a greater chance of replayability than it's sister title. Every game is guaranteed to be genuinely different one way or another. Unlike in Victoria II, where there's a repetitive cycle of the same stuff happening almost every time, but I think it's mostly because it suffers from having a much shorter timespan like you mentioned.

It's the timespan and the fact that the great powers are more or less established in V2. EU3 is full of fun minors to take to greatness - and with proper teching, slider movements and stuff you can punch well above your weight and become one. In V2, good luck getting anywhere as a minor unless you can form a cultural union or something.

Original Vicky was a different beast. In it, you could take almost any country to greatness, because the biggest check was the size of your national POPs. To increase your POPs, all you had to do was to set your country as a good immigration target. This was of course easier with some countries but generally possible with most.

I've had a 200M population in Uruguay, 70M in Serbia and so on, without conquering any or only a few areas

In V2, it is quite difficult, almost impossible, to boost your population if you're not in the Americas, or if you don't do a lot conquering. Even after that, if you didn't secure the resources you need (coal for example) you will usually lag behind the majors. Added problem is that most of the coal is produced by the majors (Russia, Germany, France, China etc...) which can not be sphered.

So, in a way, Vicky had more options than V2, but it also offered more unrealistic results. A 200M, world's top industrial powerhouse Uruguay might not have been impossible to happen in reality, but highly, higly unlikely, and I could make it happen every single game. Trying to pull off the same in V2 would see my Uruguay crash and burn simply because there wouldn't be enough free resources in the world to fuel my industry and because there wouldn't be demand for my goods.

One could say that V2 is more realistic in that regard, but precisely due to realism, it's hard to do something extraordinary, like taking a small, sparsely populated country to become a world's most powerful nation.

In a way, yes, there is less replay value than in EU3, in the sense that most games turn out similar, but we have to take into account that EU3 spans 4 centuries while V2 covers a quarter of that time. It shouldn't be possible to do the same things.

But, V2 still has possibilities. There are many different scenarios that could make the game more dynamic and still be within the realm of historical plausability.

In Europe, we could see a powerful Austria dominating German-speaking central Europe, or have Austria implode into many nation states. In Asia, similar could happen with China, or there could be a mass revolt in India and UK would be forced out of the subcontinent. In North America, Mexico could actually beat back US of A once in a blue moon. In South America, areas of Brazil might declare independence. In Africa, we could have cores for African states appearing after 1900's giving potential for some colonies to break away etc...

Not all of that would happen in every game, but if only one or two of those things were to happen, it would make every game somewhat different and add a replay value... We could see some of that maybe in the next expansion.

one way to make V2 replayable is to deliberately try to stand against the tide of the era. If you accept that roughly the ideological shift (at least till relatively late) is towards political liberalism, nationalism and some degree of social reforms, then try to ignore one of these strands. As an eg, I'm currently having a great game with a Spain where I refuse to make any political reforms but will grant a number of social ones (so reflecting some of the trends in reactionary Catholicism in this era), the result is rather 'different'.

The old V1 had the ability to direct your pops. With practice a player could do that extremely well (if rather tediously) and the AI tended to fail badly. This set up the dynamic mentioned above that you could do nearly anything you wanted to. Since V1 shared EU2's historical events (regardless of real circumstances) model this was odd, in that the supposedly more open V2 tends to give more plausible outcomes.

But you can also try a lot of different states. Persia is good, it has real potential if you can survive to realise it. The Papal States are another where the scope is novel, but there is maybe not the sheer range of EU3 where starting say as a German minor is an utterly different early/mid game than as the Mamluks (or Ming). But the regular problem with EU3 is if you don't aim at World Conquest its a bit hard to work out what to do once you have become the major power.

I'd go with Vicky 2. Having played a nation in EUIII, I never really felt compelled to return to it. Whereas in vicky I would gladly play the same country many times over.

Hmm... Even when taking into account what you all said, it's still hard to make a conclusion myself. One thing that I adore about EU3, is that it puts you in a mostly historical world, with a fairly realistic set of rules, and let's you have at it. It is a believable world that you're immersed in, making it easy to pretend that you're really building an empire. Not to say that I would always dismiss a meticulously realistic game, but I really like how EU3 skirts that and only takes the realism far enough to be plausible and believable.

At the same time, I also appreciate Victoria II's attention to realism at a higher scale. There is an inherent problem with this, though. As most of us know, the game is fairly unbalanced, and I don't think that I need to explain this, really. Yet, it attempts to come closer to actual realism, but at some point it is going to have to curb it and compromise it with rules, as actual reality is impossible to simulate. I believe that the higher its aim, the closer that it gets to being realistic, the more damaging the result to the game is when it is compromised by the inclusion of 'gamey' rules. Think of one aspect of the Prestige system, for example. Goods are bought off of the world market by countries in respective order of highest prestige to lowest prestige. Like Sarmatian said, this poses a problem, because only the high ranking nations will ever get their goods. Generally speaking, the ability to acquire the necessary prestige in order to buy the goods that your POPS need would require you to have them in the first place. This effectively locks the both the powerful and the weak in their position, and this is just one example of what I tried to say above, (and hopefully this all made sense). In a game that seeks to properly simulate the politics and economics of the 19th/20th centurie(s?), with the aim of historical plausibility, the ability to do so better be so in line with actual systems of reality to make effective plausibility attainable. The aim is rather high for this game, and the means are sadly limited to modern-day computer technology.

This is where EU3 excels, in my opinion, because it has an aim that is modest, attainable, and generates quite a lot of historically plausible and fascinating outcomes from game to game. I'm not saying that it's perfect, by any means, but I think it does play the winning hand here. However, even with EU4 in development, EU3 is a complete game (with the exclusion of maybe a match or two, and mods), with all of the content that it will ever have already installed. Victoria II has mountains of untapped potential, that I'm sure will improve it to come closer to its goal.

Victoria II has the potential to be a very replayable and immersive game, but is right now limited to its current mechanics, while EU3 is already as good as it will ever be. The question now becomes, in the event of a whole new generation of Paradox games before us in the near future, with both EU3 and Victoria II a thing of the nostalgic past, which game would have turned out better ultimately?

I find Vicky 2 more re-playable than EU3. Every time I try to play EU3 again I get frustrated by having war declared on me by all my neighbours for no reason and the big blobs snapping up every random province they can for no logical reason but geographical gluttony. Not to mention the stupid tech and trade systems or the infinite rebels the should really have depopulated my nation by now. I can get my tiny colony spewing out Creek nationalists wanting to kick the foreigners out but 3000 decentralists from a 1231 people outpost?