• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(550714)

Private
1 Badges
Sep 6, 2012
  • Starvoid
Well.
Today I get the Starvoid key and played few rounds. But... When I'm looking at the game servers there are maybe max 16 players online at whole list. This is just my problem and there are tons of 12/12 servers or realy no one is playing this game after release? For example - I'm clicking sort by the players and see only 2 or 3 servers with players. Dafuq, guys?

Yeah, saw that too. Quite disappointing to invest like 10 € and only play with little more than a handful of people :-(

Matchmaking should be working fine and as far as we know there are no regional issues or such (I guess people would have been complaining about that then). If you see about 20 servers up, that's those that are online for now.

It's quite a mystery for us too tbh.

Thanks for the response Rasmus, but it's look strange - I can find more than 30 servers as I know. But at the 9:45 AM Middle European Time... there are 3 players in whole game, including me. I mean, all those 29 servers are empty, and only 1 got 2 players without me :p Somethings wrong? As I know game has a GREAT promotion - on Steam Shop main page, on SteamGifts (where I won one key), many sites created giveaways, so it's realy strange that no one is playing Starvoid 0o

According to my list, 1 person is currently playing the game, and it won't automatically join a server through the matchmaking system for me. And considering the fact that even bad games have more players, a few months after their release, I would be surprised if the problem is not with the matchmaking system. Starvoid is a good game, but if the matchmaking system has some serious bug, then I can see why not more people are currently (seen as) online.

Actually, the problem seem to go a bit deeper than that. I tried to join a server, but I was almost instantly kicked out into the main menu. Then I joined another one, and was kicked out again.

Whenever I am on – usually in the evenings New York time – there is always at least 20 to 30 players on. I try to get in to a server with only 4 or 5 players (because I like the smaller battles) and in no time at all it is full. So I’m not sure what others are seeing – maybe it’s just timing????

Yes, there is usually more player online at US and European night time.

AFnord - we have a known issue that sometimes makes it hard for players to connect to servers when much things are going on (client gets flooded while connecting), this will be fixed in the ongoing patch.

However, if this happened when you connected to a low or non-populated server it should worry us. If that is the case, any information about the incidence would be of help for us.

Yes, there is usually more player online at US and European night time.

AFnord - we have a known issue that sometimes makes it hard for players to connect to servers when much things are going on (client gets flooded while connecting), this will be fixed in the ongoing patch.

However, if this happened when you connected to a low or non-populated server it should worry us. If that is the case, any information about the incidence would be of help for us.
It happened on two different 0 player servers, the 3rd one I joined worked just fine though. One of those had a ping of over 200 (one of the LAX servers), but the other were in a more reasonable ~100ping range. The one I could stay on was in the ~50ping range. I don't know if there is a connection between this and me getting kicked out, but I can check later tonight, by trying to join a few different servers.
I'm not sure if my computer might be part of the issue. It should, according to the system specs, not be able to run the game (though the game is quite playable, but probably not for high level competitive play), and there might be some de-sync error caused by my computer not quite keeping up (just wild speculations here).
My connection is usually quite stable though. I have a 100/100 fiber connection, and I'm situated right outside of Stockholm

Ok, thanks! Yes, we would very much appreciate if you tried it out a bit tonight and reported the results back! Especially since we just uploaded a fix that is supposed to fix the connection issues that we know of :)

Still having issues. I just tried to join the server: Multiplayer: Starvoid [Battle #01], which had 9/12 players and a ping of 49 and was instantly kicked out to the main menu again. Tried to join an empty server without a hitch, then tried to join [Battle #01] again (now it had 7/12 players) and was again kicked out to the main menu. The level seem to load up, the game goes into full screen, and I can just see the character selection menu, before I get kicked out again.

*edit* and I just tried to join a server with 1 other player on it, and the same thing happened again.

*edit 2* After 5 attempts, I was able to join a server with players on it. This was actually [Battle #01], the one that I originally had issues with.

Last edited:
Hey AFnord!

I'm sorry to hear your are still having troubles. If I understand this correctly you are only having problems getting into the server? But once connected you can play fine? If this is the case we have to further counter this problem with a more bulletproof solution. I have had something more complex in mind for awhile now - But I might actually have to make it a reality now.

The weirdest part of what you are describing is that you get kicked out of empty server when joining. That should never be an issue. Are you having insanely low frames rate at join?

Hey AFnord!

I'm sorry to hear your are still having troubles. If I understand this correctly you are only having problems getting into the server? But once connected you can play fine? If this is the case we have to further counter this problem with a more bulletproof solution. I have had something more complex in mind for awhile now - But I might actually have to make it a reality now.

The weirdest part of what you are describing is that you get kicked out of empty server when joining. That should never be an issue. Are you having insanely low frames rate at join?
Yes, I usually get kicked out of the server a few seconds after connecting to it, when the character selection menu shows up. And yes, just after joining a server I always have a really low frame rate for the first few seconds, but once that is over, the game takes on a more playable form.

Just had a glimpse, again 0 player online. Are you guys looking into this or is this game left to suffer a premature death?

You do know if you take more than a “glimpse” you do get players on the servers?

I agree completely though – need something to be done to get more players on – absolutely.

But I have found that instead of just listing the servers, seeing no one, and leaving – that if you jump in to a server and just play a game (by yourself) it does not take all that long and sure enough someone else joins you and then another and another. Now it does not always work that way – and it might take maybe 1.5 to 2 games of just sitting there by myself before someone else joins in. . . . but they do.

Point being – if more do this then we (the players) don’t need to want on the Devs to do anything to fix the issue.

A glimpse translated into loading the game, waiting for like 10-15 minutes without seeing anybody.
That’s only one and a half games. But like I said, it doesn’t always work – but more times than not, I find that it does.

. . . . and again – I agree completely, something else needs to be put in place though. Like AI bots or something.
I’m just saying in the mean time it is possible to make the empty servers in to having activity if you work at it a little.