• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, I've noticed in my SP games that Karlsbad is very much a siren--if you take it you have an opportunity to move into Bavaria, and you could have a clear line to Vienna. But what the less experienced Prussian player doesn't know (and what I found out) is that such a route has little to no supply, and Karlsbad itself is highly dangerous--those mountains are almost always blocked off so moving there can mean you're moving into a corner.

That would make sense if done with a proper force, not with a defeated and retreating corps pursued by the whole Austrian army. Hopefully my dear opponent Anders would like to chime in and comment on his actions.

Damn. Winter attacks? Assaults? Daring maneuvers? Decisive victories?

What are you, a Prussian?

Actually, I have noticed that winter is much less deadly than it was in patch 1.2 (which I was using during my test game against the AI). Although the fact that I was very close to my main supply base must have helped.

if your opponent has retreated towards Olmutz that leaves Saxony wide open for your Prag armies (you can match off against any Prussians in S Silesia with your Wien units).

For a moment, I was afraid my opponent was trying to take Olmutz and Torgau in order to prevent the link-up of my two main forces. What do the old hands think about it, would it be feasible? Useful?

well that was very impressive, the first battles gave you a good cull of high value units - Gd Cavalry and Prussian elite infantry, the victory at Kalsbad is quite stunning,

If I'm correct, all in all the Prussians lost 89 elements in just 4 months for almost no cost to my Austrians.
Also, another very nice advantage of the battles around Karlsbad is that Von Daun is now a 4-4-6 general and Von Bilberstein has been promoted to a 3-stars general with 4-3-5 stats.

Last edited:
I don't know how much of it was luck and how much of it was calculated strategy, but you had an exceedingly lucky series of turns there - the Prussians have been dealt some big blows and, even more importantly, you're currently dictating events to the Prussians, rather than having to react to them. Well done.