• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Based on these components, the Bureau of Ship Design unveils:

Code:
Snooper 2026 class Surveillance Frigate    5,000 tons     483 Crew     826 BP      TCS 100  TH 480  EM 0
4800 km/s     Armour 1-26     Shields 0-0     Sensors 50/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 5     PPV 0
Maint Life 5.12 Years     MSP 516    AFR 40%    IFR 0.6%    1YR 33    5YR 492    Max Repair 240 MSP

SpaceX "Falcon 25" M Ion Engine E7 2025 (8)    Power 60    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres    Range 154.3 billion km   (372 days at full power)

Yutani Corporation LongLook Model 2026 AMS MR7-R1 (1)     GPS 120     Range 7.2m km    Resolution 1
Weyland Industries Spyglass Mk A 2026 ASS MR157-R120 (1)     GPS 28800     Range 157.7m km    Resolution 120
Ultrox TH Wave 2026 Thermal Sensor TH10-50 (1)     Sensitivity 50     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  50m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

We will first however need to spend 2400+1200+500 points of research to get these sensors. I can queue up the 2 active sensors. For the passive one, we still have 760 RP left in the starting package that we could use to create this component instantly. Would the Council like to do so?

edit: Note the range on that thermal sensor. As-is, it will detect a thermal signature 1000 at only 50 million km - a third of our maximum active sensor range.
This can't really be helped until we get bigger ships though - the range on that active sensor is good, we just need better / bigger thermal sensor technology to get a sensor that can actually catch up with active sensors ..

This is just a personal play style I guess, but I never put active sensors on an unarmed scout ship. I use that space for better thermal and EM sensors, and I also always design low signature engines for them (and cloaking when I get it). All an active sensor is going to do on a scout vessel is get it detected by enemy EM and invite an attack. Thermals/EMs are passive and combined with the low emission engines you might be able to detect the enemy before they detect you and sneak out of the system.

Now if we're designing this ship to accompany the armed fleet as a sensor platform that's another story.

Now if we're designing this ship to accompany the armed fleet as a sensor platform that's another story.

This is indeed a sensor platform, not a scout ship. Not something that is intended to ever operate alone.
The "surveillance frigate" designation isn't quite covering the purpose of this ship in that regard.

Yes, previous proposal was to build 3 more freighters once retooling was done (I assume 3 slips at Afrika Industries).

Yes. Three slipways.
Very well, I've queued them up. :)

txKCq.png

Anyone care to suggest ship names? :)

Pass.

Busy enough trying to get out of that 20k deficit I've allowed for myself in my own game. Damn Civilian Mining Complexes.

In the meantime, time gets another advancement: 30 days, and then another 26, to the completion of the next construction project:

zNf7X.png

Our new naval shipyard has been completed, bearing the rather unspired name "New Shipyard #1639". We can do better than that :)

rqnXW.png

Being new, it starts off with a bare minimum capacity of 1000 tons. This is enough to build Fast Attack Craft (and possibly fighters), but not much else.
I vaguely recall someone already deciding something about expanding it - who/what was it..?

The messages about JG construction at Jump points 4 and 5 are about the Black cat and the Blackbird reaching their destinations. The JGC raven is the only gate constructor still underway to it's destination (Jump Point 9, the furthest out from the sun), but it's very close to arriving:

ttNLt.png

Freighters, eh?
I suggest we name ships of the freighter class after counties and provinces of Earth.

I would like to start with Antrim, Armagh and Carlow from Ireland. ;)

Actually, this is the ship class that has already been dedicated to musicians / artists of the 21st century.
Which is why a FT Mariah Carey, FT J-Lo, and FT Rihanna floating around. (And at some point, the Eminem, but that one got renamed by Captain onbekende..)

Think the decision was to expand to 5k, but can't really remember.

Actually, this is the ship class that has already been dedicated to musicians / artists of the 21st century.
Which is why a FT Mariah Carey, FT J-Lo, and FT Rihanna floating around. (And at some point, the Eminem, but that one got renamed by Captain onbekende..)

FT Pink
FT Madonna
FT Whitney Houston
FT Beyonce
FT Adele
FT Emele Sandé
FT Katy Perry
FT Lily Allen
FT Tina Turner
FT Nelly Furtado
FT Sinead O'Connor

Take your pick or come up with better names.. :)

Think the decision was to expand to 5k, but can't really remember.

Yes, me too :)

I will schedule that expansion for now (we have to do it in 2 2k steps, though) since I am pretty sure that was the plan. But I'll allow some time for people to object ..

mQXSx.png

FT Pink
FT Madonna
FT Whitney Houston
FT Beyonce
FT Adele
FT Emele Sandé
FT Katy Perry
FT Lily Allen
FT Tina Turner
FT Nelly Furtado
FT Sinead O'Connor

Take your pick or come up with better names.. :)

Awesome!

IURnt.png

:)

Yes, me too :)

I will schedule that expansion for now (we have to do it in 2 2k steps, though) since I am pretty sure that was the plan. But I'll allow some time for people to object ..

mQXSx.png

Yes, plan is to 5k. So you're on the right track. Now we just need to finish up sensors and missile techs...

Good, keep it female names!

Proposed name for the shipyard, to keep in spirit with the swedish Saab: Oskarshamn Shipyard

Or we could go all Japanese on it and call it ".... Heavy" (weird Japanese naming)

Done!

Two days pass, and our run of 20 financial centers completes.

UmPs1.png

This (and the earlier completion of the new shipyard) causes earth's industry production queue to look like this:

apBHQ.png

Our financial situation is still not good though. As a result of the construction of these financial centers earth's income increased by 3.3% over the last month. This is as expected; A single financial center produces the same income as 1 million population. With our current earth's population of 519 million, 20 centers should be responsible for about 3.7% of earth's income.

The bottom line however is: we're still 50% over budget with our current construction schedule:

DcJMS.png

We have about 6 months to go until we go into the red. Most of our current ship construction should have been finished by then though, so we *should* be able to avoid that by limiting our shipbuilding to the bare necessities.
Still, it may be worth it to requeue some more financial centers...

Its the reason why I put some expensive industrial project that can be put off to last on the queue. Also another reason why we are not building any more new ships besides the 3 new freighter. So income should improve after the other ships are off slipways. All we need is a civilian line to start moving people over to Mars.

Curious, do we have a luxury liner design? If not, we can put up a "light" version of it so that the civvies will build them and start making runs to Mars, since we have some infrastructure there.

Once the infraestructure is finished, the available industries can be turned into the on-going buidling proyects?

Curious, do we have a luxury liner design? If not, we can put up a "light" version of it so that the civvies will build them and start making runs to Mars, since we have some infrastructure there.

Nope.
Feel free to design something for it.

Once the infraestructure is finished, the available industries can be turned into the on-going buidling proyects?

Yes. That's what the "queue-1" tm "queue-5" entries are all about: As soon as something finishes, the game automatically tries to apply the newly freed industrial capacity to the next project in the queue.

edit: Oh wait, you want to re-balance the percentages .. yes, we can absolutely do that. In fact, we can do it now, if desired. Push a new project back into the queue, give existing ones a bigger slice of the production pie ..

Having just tried being in the red for 5 years, I have to admit that the thought is not as scary as it was. If we can get a civilian sector up and running (not as easy in 5.6 as 6.0, I know) it should be possible to power the economy back up. Also cutting back on some spending while prioritizing the 20% expansion of civilian economy would also help.

And the civilian mining can be switched to taxation for some quick cash if needed. After all half the expence is gained as tax for a 200 wealth swing at the current level.

The next construction project completes in 19 days. I advance time accordingly:

NlwPR.png

These are our new, shiny colony vessels.
Since we only have one colony (mars), I proceed with ordering them to start shipping out colonists .. and run into a snag.

You see, apparently, back when I created these designs, I made a small error. Instead of copying the freighter design, and changing the cargo holds into an equivalent amount of cryogenic transport holds, I just copied the freighter design.
So no cryogenic storage .. right.

Fixing this is not hard, though: Simply unlock the design, change the components, and our three ships magically change their colours.

Code:
Mayflower 2025 class Colony Ship 	39300 tons     353 Crew     1593 BP      TCS 786  TH 1500  EM 0
1908 km/s     Armour 1-102     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control 1     PPV 0
Maintenance Capacity 25 MSP
Colonists 100000   Cargo Handling Multiplier 25   

Orbital Sciences "Taurus 5" C Ion Engine E0.7 2025 (10)    Power 150    Fuel Use 7%    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 32.7 billion km   (198 days at full power)

This ship is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

This does, however, have some consequences. This hold type is a tad more expensive than a simple cargo hold, and that in turns means that the retool from Xorn to Mayflower gets too expensive for yards tooled for Xorns to build Mayflowers.
The retool the other way around is not affected however, and we have no yards tooled for xorns - just for mayflowers. We do however have one yard tooled for San Andreas class Troop Transport ships - and that one IS affected, as it now cannot build Mayflowers anymore.

The other consequence is that build times of these Mayflowers and the build costs have changed somewhat. I'm not going to jump through hoops to retroactively apply that to the freshly build vessels; But new vessels (should we desire to build any) will use the new costs:

m7tM0.png

aOKZA.png

As a result of building these the Pacific Shipyards yard (56000 ton) falls idle; All three slipways are now free for further construction, but as per earlier council decisions I am not queueing up more ships.

However, these ships require naval officers to command them; Looking at officers with the requisite Logistics bonus, we get the following list:

vbNJe.png

Going through these, Catherine Faulkner has a 20% survey bonus, and is intended to command one of the new Columbus class vessels. The others I have gone through by hand to choose those officers least suited to do something else.

The results of that process is two officers are absolutely useless for anything else:
Oscar Noble: Fleet Movement Initiative 144, Logistics 10%.
Jason wood: Fleet Movement Initiative 177, Logistics 10%.

For the third ship, we have some alternatives - in order of my personal preference:
Harry Connor: Fleet Movement Initiative 156, Survey 15%, Logistics 10%. (There are 4 officers with 15% survey bonus currently unassigned, plenty to cover the three almost completed Columbus class survey vessels.)
Stephany Abbott: Crew Training 25, Fleet Movement Initiative 178, Logistics 10%. (Crew training rating is important to get combat vessel crews to a level where they are fully combat-ready. But we have a lot of officers with better ratings than this.)
Madeleine Parsons: Fleet Movement Initiative 123, Factory Production 10%, Fighter Operations 10%, Logistics 10% (She might make a decent fighter commander, though. And once we start building fighters we need lots of those.)

Going over the orders for the colony ships themselves, something immediately becomse apparent:

Mars will need more infrastructure.

Each of the Mayflowers can transport 100.000 colonists in cryogenic storage. Mars, if you will remember, can support approximately 150.000 colonists with it's current level (29 units) of infrastructure. So right now we can send one ship, and the rest of them will have to remain idle until we have more infrastructure in place.

The CS Faith is given provisional orders accordingly:

fhERc.png

The infra situation is not as bad as it sounds: Earth has 43 infrastructure available, and still has 52 units of infrastructure currently in production. So it's just a matter of ordering our freighters to stop hauling automated mines for long enough to put more infrastructure on Mars. Each trip will bring 10 infra per freighter to Mars, so ordering the Mariah Carey and the Xorn Pluto Hauling Group to do so just once should catch mars up with current production.

Rendap, please state / confirm your orders for these fleet movements; The Colony vessels *and* the Freighters, as well as the officer assignments.