• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I use imageshack and it works quite well.

As for the battles, I believe that Sopron would have a similar meaning to the new Romans as Manzikert had for the old ones and Cannae - for the ancient ones :p

try picassaweb
i'm just wondering, is imperial greece larger than imperial germans? or territories like egypt and east of holy land considered only colonies? or do you count in entire bohemia and its allies as part of imperial germans?
Thanks. In answer to your questions, do you mean in game or in my history? My Greek territories were definitely larger than my german territories, although I think that the emperors of the time would have seen most of the western Empire as 'theirs' so maybe not. in-game eastern territories are not overseas, and mostly cores. But, yes, I think in this history those territories would probably have been seen as second-class provinces. They will get a little more attention in the next update but for the most part they will stay that way.

I use imageshack and it works quite well.

As for the battles, I believe that Sopron would have a similar meaning to the new Romans as Manzikert had for the old ones and Cannae - for the ancient ones :p
Perhaps, although I was actually imagining it more along the lines of the way Americans see their war for independence - Lexington/Concord, maybe Breed's Hill, Trenton, maybe Saratoga, Yorktown. In other words, we have forgotten all of our defeats and a great many of our victories.

Your AAR instills the urge to try this in a game by myself. But I must stay strong and resist the tempting! ;-)
Why? it's a fun game! :)

I know. But it consumes so much time, that I don't have at the moment.
That it does...

Post 6 Imperial Heyday
Holy0 Roman1 Empire2

The century following the Renovatio Imperii lacked the prominent, defining figures of the previous two centuries. Despite this, the time was one of great importance for the Roman state, and was marked by rebellion, numerous foreign wars, and political upheaval. Ioannes' decree brought most of Europe east of the Rhine under the direct control of the Advisory and the Emperor in Constantinople. The situation was unacceptable to the remaining European powers and to much of the populace in the recently acquired lands. The northern Germans and the Slavic peoples who lived in what was formerly eastern Bohemia were especially rebellious, although these rebellions were staggeringly unsuccessful. Their failure prompted the Advisory to extend the scope of the centuries-old Guardian Edict, claiming a right of conquest against all heretics who would not convert. The armies sent to northern Germany to quell the rebellions there then marched straight through to Poland and Prussia, driving these states back to the Baltic coastline. They were only saved, at least for the time being, by a distraction closer to home. The largest rebellion of the period was the Italian revolt of 1633, which wiped out the local garrisons and ransacked the peninsula before the arrival of frontline troops from France put them down. (tons of revolts in uncured provinces, an unpleasant revolt event in Italy; Deus Vult allowed me to wrap up the rest of the protestants when I had some extra bad boy to burn, with armies that would otherwise be strictly rebel hunting in northern Germany)

61ItalianRevoltandWesternexpansion_zps877548a4.jpg

Image: The Roman Empire at the time of the Italian revolt. Progress is being made into Gaul while North Germany and the Steppe is mostly quiet.

Foreign wars were also a staple of this period, due to foreign resistance to increasing Roman hegemony and lofty Roman ambitions. Wars with Western powers, particularly France, Castille, and Great Britain were common occurrences, but the Advisory's keen diplomatic maneuvering kept them from forming a united front that could have successfully resisted Roman invasion. A series of wars that drove a deep salient through France, permanently crippling that nation, were interspersed with bloody wars in southern Britain. The Romans also fought a number of wars with Castile, but these were restricted to naval battles in the Mediterranean and back and forth campaigns in North Africa. The most decisive war in the first half of the 17th century was the Arabian War of 1643. Unlike their western counterparts, the Muslims formed a large alliance to challenge the Romans. The war involved the Persians, the still-formidable, if greatly reduced, remnants of the Golden Horde, the entirety of the Arabian peninsula, and parts of the Horn of Africa and India. The war lasted barely a year and a half. The Arabian Peninsula was crushed, while Persia and the Golden Horde were forced to cede important borderlands, solidifying the Byzantine frontier in the east. The decisive victory ended any threat to the Romans from the East. (A series of limited wars, typically against only one state at a time, that allowed me to gain territory from Arabia to Newcastle to the Pyrenees;)

62Arabianwar_zpsd706fe56.jpg

Image: The Arabia at the outset of the war. Despite the fact that the eastern muslim states were weak and fractured, their planning and cooperation made them at least as formidable, if not more so, than the Western powers faced by the Romans during this century (actually I got bored and decided to start a war with everyone… I added the Persians to that war a day later; also notice the ottomans humorously landlocked in Ethiopia. No idea how that happened).

In the aftermath of the Arabian War, the Advisory was at the height of its power. Successful diplomacy and military prowess had made the Empire the most powerful state in the world. The only potential rival to the Imperial juggernaught was Castile, which backed up a resurgent France and led an Iberian coalition while growing fat on the wealth of the New World. North African engagements notwithstanding, despite involving tens of thousands of soldiers on both sides, Castile and the Empire had yet to fight a major war, as the Advisory repeatedly blocked Emperor Friedrich III's attempts to go to war with the last Great Powers of Europe. Finally fed up, Friedrich dissolved the council for the first time in over a century, replacing it with a cabinet that answered solely to him. Fearing civil war, the Empire's generals mobilized the army. And nothing happened. One of the strongest political institutions in Europe dissolved with barely a whisper. (Lack of CB was hindering my conquest goals. Switch to absolute monarchy for Imperialism!; also cabinet NI)

With the Empire's armies mobilized, and the diplomatic obstruction of the Advisory removed, Friedrich declared war on France. Gaul went up in flames for almost 30 years before France was reduced to a rump state in Gascony and made to pay tribute to the Emperor. Lack of foresight, however, left France with a political foothold on the continent that would last for decades to come. Determined not to make the same mistake with Castile, Friedrich IV's generals created the Serpent Plan, designed to isolate Castile from the wealth of her overseas colonies and force the government to abdicate to the Americas. The plan was executed in multiple stages, the first of which, the seizure of the Iberian coastline, took less than two years. The complete destruction of Castile would not come until 1700, in large part due to the delay caused by a timid regency for Friedrich III's great grandson, Maximilian I. (Huge blunder with France allowing them to move their capital to the coast, so I made sure to take all of castile's coastal provinces first. Would have taken Spain in the time it took my truces to expire except for the blasted regency; Church attendance duty NI happened in here, too, but I am saving that for the next update, going to pretend it happened later)

63OperationAnaconda_zps2c7aa94f.jpg

64OperationAnaconda2_zps537b27e6.jpg

65OperationAnacondaconclusion_zps95d19208.jpg

Images: The execution of the Serpent Plan and the fall of Iberia.

1700 a month?

Damn. I haven't seen incomes that high since my Scandanavia game where I colonized all of North America

WOW! That's amazing! great job

At the end, the upstart states that tried to usurp the true Roman heritage were no more than chaffing at the Emperor's feet. The conquest of the old Roman lands is almost complete and you have an entire century to spare. I am truly impressed.

I am curious how you will make the transition to theocracy. Will we see another sign of the heavens that prompted yet another Emperor to take the step?

> that one last french province...
> that one last resisting village...

Asterixcover-asterix_the_gaul.jpg

:rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ah, love it. Yeah, that is exactly how it feels, especially for Portugal. I should have thought of that myself, now I feel remiss in my AAR duties...

At the end, the upstart states that tried to usurp the true Roman heritage were no more than chaffing at the Emperor's feet. The conquest of the old Roman lands is almost complete and you have an entire century to spare. I am truly impressed.

I am curious how you will make the transition to theocracy. Will we see another sign of the heavens that prompted yet another Emperor to take the step?
Thanks, although it will take another half century to bring them all to heel, I think. I will have to... Well, you will see :)
The transition to Theocracy will come next week. I decided to distance myself from divine revelation for this one, choosing instead to make it a simple lusting for power and damn the consequences.

WOW! That's amazing! great job
Thanks!

1700 a month?

Damn. I haven't seen incomes that high since my Scandanavia game where I colonized all of North America
Yeah, I kind of expect that I will not have any issues with money unless I try to span level 6 forts everywhere.....

OK, another quick update basically trying to make sense of some of the more bizarre things the game does. No pics, sorry, I've been pressed for time but want to get this up before I go out of town tomorrow. Expect the next update next week!

Legend
Perhaps the first thing to not is not so much a 'legend' as an odd historical quirk. While Iaonnes VIII most of his reign trying to undermine the power of the German Princes, finally succeeding in completely stripping them of their respective states. Even in the last 20 years of his reign, following the Renovatio Imperii, he continued to antagonize his german subjects, causing massive revolts throughout Germany, particularly in the north where Roman influence had been weakest. Seeking to bring peace and stability to his empire, Iaonnes' nephew and heir, born Michael, decided to take the name Friedrich Wilhelm upon his ascension to the throne. Friedrich was not the most shrewd diplomat, and at the time the move was perhaps as confusing as effective. Most historians now believe that time had more to do with the decline in the number and scope of revolts in northern Germany than the name of the Emperor. Still, the precedent was set, and Imperial monarchs would take German names for almost 100 years.

The most bizarre occurrence during the 'Imperial Heyday', named for its place between the diplomatic struggles of the 16th Century and the merger with the Catholic Church in the 18th, was the dissolution of the Advisory. The fact that the inner council, which had wielded so much power during the Roman Emperors' rise in the Imperial German court, would allow itself to be dissolved with barely a whimper puzzles historians to this day. The most common explanation is simply that the Advisory never actually wielded any real power, and as an instrument of the Emperor they had no power beyond his whim. There is almost certainly some truth to this. Although started as a council with general responsibilities in the court, the strain put on its abilities by the diplomatic blitz of the previous century had changed the Advisory into a largely diplomatic and meritocratic organization. A pariah in the highly aristocratic Empire, the Advisory drew its talent from all citizens of the Empire. The only requirement was fluency in Greek and a keen mind. Most individual council members, then, had no influential family to which to turn for support, and with most of their foreign contacts now incorporated into the Empire, they had no foreign powers with which to align themselves. Exceptions could be found in Castile and France, but war with those powers would not sway Frederich so easily.

Still, this explanation is not enough to appease the creative minds of conspiracy theorists, both the 17th century and the modern versions. A rumor persistently resurfaces that the Advisory was not so much dissolved as assassinated by agents of the Emperor. Advocates cite the mysterious house fire that killed councilman Nikomedes Melissinos, and the disappearance of several other members into obscurity after the Advisory's disbanding. There is documentation, however, that at least two councilmen, Gregorios Phocas and Ambrosios Rhadinos, outlived Friedrich himself. Further, even following the opening of the Imperial Archives and the discovery of Gregorios' personal journal, no evidence has come to light of attempted assassinations or even of threats. Still, the threat was probably understood, and may have played a role in the quiet passing of the Advisory. With the Emperor possessing absolute power, it was only a matter of time before one of them bullied their way to total temporal and spiritual control of Europe.

Holy wow... I never thought I'd live to see the day. Byzantium -> Holy Roman Empire -> Papal States? My inner Byzantinophile cries 'blasphemy', but the rest of me loves this.

Holy wow... I never thought I'd live to see the day. Byzantium -> Holy Roman Empire -> Papal States? My inner Byzantinophile cries 'blasphemy', but the rest of me loves this.
The glory that was Rome will be restored!!! Sort of :p

Post 7 Call Me Pope
Holy2 Roman1.5 Empire2

Following the defeat of the last Great Powers in Europe, the Empire enjoyed a period of relative peace. Minor skirmishes at the borders were frequent, but full mobilization of the Empire's resources were a thing of the past. This allowed Emperor Maximilian I to focus on internal affairs, and, some would argue, perform some showy diplomatic and administrative stunts. The first of these was officially to move the Imperial capital from Constantinople to Rome. Rome had been a 'second seat' for the Emperor since the Conversion, and the influx of Greek immigrants had finally begun to surpass the local culture. In the census of 1708 Greek had become the dominant culture in the city. Eager to support this growing trend, and mindful of the rhetoric of 'Roman restoration', Emperor Maximilian I moved the capital, officially taking up residence there on April 1, 1709. (Settlement policy on Rome finally finished, I move my capital there)

71RomanEmpire_zpsd86b2549.jpg

Image: The Empire's focus on Rome led to a significant influx of Greeks to the City. By 1709 Greeks were the majority in the city.

After 10 years on the throne, Maximilian ruled over a stable state without serious external enemies. Many rulers in his position would have attempted rampant conquering sprees, but Maximilian had other ambitions. For him the earth was not enough. First, to the surprise and even dismay of much of the populace, he reduced his own political powers, many of which went to the Church. Then in a shocking twist, he declared himself archbishop, a post which had remained vacant since Helene had conquered Rome. The move was backed by almost all of the key bishops and cardinals in the Empire, and by the Pope himself. The greatest 'Empire' in the world had transformed, in the space of several years, into a theocracy, ruled by the Church and answering to the Pope. (switch to despotic monarchy and then theocracy)

73holyseeholydo_zps02506e61.jpg

Image: By the dawn of the 18th Century, the Romans dominated the Curia and by extension controlled Papal policy. Maximilian, however, had even greater ambitions.

Barely three years had passed, however, before Maximilian rocked the Catholic world to its roots by declaring war on the Papacy. The attack lacked a true casus belli, but was bathed in the language of the 'Mare Nostrum' movement. The movement had existed for some time, but only recently was it strong enough to drive political policy. Having moved the capital to Rome Maximillian decided that the Empire, once again, should own every inch of Mediterranean coastline. To do so he needed to capture Malta from the Pope and Andalusia from Granada.

72MareNostrum_zps42d3b3ec.jpg

Image: Only the Andalusian coastline and the island of Malta remained to thwart Roman claims of a new 'Mare Nostrum'.

Both wars were short and uneventful, and the war in Andalusia was all but completely unnoticed by the Empire's people. The conquest of Malta from the Pope, however, stirred widespread rioting throughout Europe and undermined Maximillian's otherwise stellar international reputation. Neither situation improved when it became known that the Pope was killed during the siege of Malta. Left without their infallible leader or the temporal bastion of the Church, the College of Cardinals scrambled to restore some semblance of order the Catholicism before another schism erupted. Quickly they realized that there was only one real option - Maximilian I of Rome. On November 17th, 1719, Maximilian was named Pope, and his Empire became the Papal State. Upon his inauguration, Maximilian declared his domain not the successor of former Papacy, but the Kingdom of God on Earth.

74PapalMandate_zps9f6ff655.jpg

75KingdomofGod_zpscb9c8953.jpg

Image: Maximilian declares the Kingdom of God.

in the next chapter, the Caesar-Pontifex Maximus changes to GOD EMPERROR :p

now seriously, now you must wage a holy war against all that isnt yours, you have both imperialism, holy war, you my friend, you should have a chuck norris casus belli, a casus belli so awesome, that yo ushould have not only gain extra stability but also have negative bb, so awesome that it would cause apocalypse itself, the end of times and the second comming of christ and putting him in the general poll, so awesome that all your dead armies would rise again to serve you, and your foes would perish by the ride of four horsemen,

so awesome that all other states should gather under mount ar megiddo to make this last, posed by the devil himself, challenge to you

in the next chapter, the Caesar-Pontifex Maximus changes to GOD EMPERROR :p

now seriously, now you must wage a holy war against all that isnt yours, you have both imperialism, holy war, you my friend, you should have a chuck norris casus belli, a casus belli so awesome, that yo ushould have not only gain extra stability but also have negative bb, so awesome that it would cause apocalypse itself, the end of times and the second comming of christ and putting him in the general poll, so awesome that all your dead armies would rise again to serve you, and your foes would perish by the ride of four horsemen,

so awesome that all other states should gather under mount ar megiddo to make this last, posed by the devil himself, challenge to you
your comments make me laugh, thanks!

Sadly, I have no casus Belli at all right now except reconquest on Portugal (for Lisbon... not that it will do me any good since I can't take their capital) and Friesland (which is my vassal), and Heresy on Muscowy and the Baltic Sea minors and Scotland. Brittany and France are my vassals now as well, I will discuss that in the next update. Perhaps I should mod in the 'Chuck Norris' Casus Belli?

Welp, you've officially done it, you've gone full Holy Roman Empire (of God)

You did it. Congratulations.

I agree with Deus Eversor and I add that this should be an official achievement: the Squared Holy Emperor.

P.S.: If you can't have a Messiah, Cardinal-General Chuck Norris sounds like a good option, with infinite stats, of course.

A new Roman Empire do not need a CB!
Exactly. Which is why the WORLD IS MINE mwahahahahaha!!!! Ahem. I mean, that is why there is 'peace for our time'

Welp, you've officially done it, you've gone full Holy Roman Empire (of God)
Just about. Have to take out those pesky portuguese who are too large to vassalize and refuse to move their capital from Lisbon :/

You did it. Congratulations.

I agree with Deus Eversor and I add that this should be an official achievement: the Squared Holy Emperor.

P.S.: If you can't have a Messiah, Cardinal-General Chuck Norris sounds like a good option, with infinite stats, of course.
Thanks! Although it will be a couple more updates before I finally unite the entire Roman Empire. I do plan to go all the way and finish it, for better or worse.
more modding opportunities!

Quickly, the second half of this update. At this point, I plan two more updates and a final overview update, to bring my update count up to a nice round 10.0, or as the Romans know it, the 'X-update'

Legend
In the previous century, Maximilian's predecessors established the Roman Empire as the undisputed temporal superpower in the western world. The simplest explanation for the events of the early 18th century are that Maximilian wanted to eliminate spiritual challenges to Roman hegemony as well. Indeed, it is unlikely that the rapid political overhaul he oversaw was completely unplanned, and his actions seemed calculated to win him the ultimate prize in the Catholic hierarchy. First, moving the capital to Rome strengthened Mare Nostrum both from a historical perspective and from a geographic one - the seat of the Empire was now officially located at the center of the Mediterranean. The political upheaval from absolutism to theocracy made very little political or administrative sense. The move created internal chaos as local officials lacked authority and direction while the new institutions took shape. It also drastically undermined, at least in theory, Maximilian's diplomatic options. It did make the Pope happy, but given how quickly Maximilian declared war on the Papacy this could hardly have been his motivation. Looking at these changes without the benefit of knowing Maximilian would shortly invade Malta makes no sense.

The real advantage he gained by claiming a spiritual title and establishing a theocratic administration became clear after the conquest of Malta, when he and his empire became the only candidate to replace the late Papal government. Maximilian lacked the support he had enjoyed from the College of Cardinals during his ascension to archbishop, but as the only Catholic state ruled by a bishop the college was forced to choose him or abandon the idea of Papal state. Eliminating the Church's temporal arm proved too drastic for the College, and they finally consented to Maximilian's inauguration.

The final chapter of this story, Maximilian's declaration of the Kingdom of God on Earth, seems to have been more a point of pride than a real political move. Although there were political benefits, particularly in terms of recruitment and prestige, Maximilian wanted to distance himself from the Papal rump state that had scratched out its living on Malta for the past two-plus centuries. Regardless, the declaration was fitting. The Roman Empire was reborn as the undisputed Western power. The only ambition that remained was to finally drive remaining non-Roman bastions from Western Europe and reestablish control over every inch of the old Roman Empire. To achieve this, however, the Romans would need take the last step from undisputed western power to undisputed world power.