• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(236784)

Banned
1 Badges
Dec 1, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron III

BACKGROUND
The American Civil War (1861-1863) resulted in the splitting of the former United States into two nations. Eighty years later, the North tries a rematch, hoping to undo the error of the previous century.
This is a game designed for team or single play, and each player takes on the role of a senior military leader either as part of the United or the Confederate states. Each player controls a portion of their nation’s military and generally works in conjunction with other players within their nation to prosecute the war successfully.

PLAY SUMMARY
Game turns are one (game) week periods (two real days), with an administration phase at the end of every game month. Unit types are basic ground, air and naval classes. The game uses area movement, with the bulk of the forces moving one province a turn. Combat is somewhat detailed, with consideration for defender bonus, as well as combined arms benefits. In preparation for each tactical conflict, players provide general combat guidance for their units, while the GM implements the gory details of battle.

The player competition comes from the pursuit of Glory, accumulated by being the Commander of a winning battle. The player having the most Glory if their side wins is the game victor. In the post game period, the victor wins a term or two as national president, and the treasury uses a nice portrait of them on the currency. The other players on that team are mentioned as supporting players in the history books. The players on the opposing team get postwar terms in the national prison system.

JOINING THE GAME
Players may sign up by posting in this thread. Priority of side assignment is the forum posting order with the caveat that no side may have more than a one-player advantage over the other side. Thus, if both sides have an equal number of players, a new entrant may sign up for either side. If one side outnumbers the other, then only the weaker side may accept players.

GAME AIDS
Players may receive a copy of the detailed game rules (eight pages), game tables, forms and charts (five pages), and a movement and combat example (eight pages) by sending a PM to the GM.

CREDITS
The map is based on the one located in the Imperium Offtopicum forum (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=446)

Last edited:
Game Status Display

The current phase of the game is: INITIAL UNIT DEPLOYMENT (Part III of IV).
Player created Orders due for that phase by 7:00 P.M., or 1900hrs CT Thursday,(0000 GMT Friday).

* NOTE * The number in brackets next to each name in the 'Glory' display is the amount of remaining Influence that player has.

Last edited:
Game Rules - Short Version

Winning the Game - To be the game victor, you must be the player with the most Glory on the
side that wins the war. To be on the winning side, the enemy nation must either surrender (if they
are the South), or lose their will to fight (if they are the North). A nation surrenders once it
loses enough territory, so taking land from them is a good thing. The Union loses its will simply
with the passage of time, so the Graycoats just have to hang on long enough. Oh, and losing your
capital is a BAD thing, so work on not doing that.

Now all you need to complete the task is to have more Glory than any other player does on your team.
You acquire Glory by being in command of battles that you win. You get command of a battle by having more
troops on the battlefield belonging to you than any other player on your side. You win a battle by driving
the opponent from the field.

Game Setup - First, the team gets their troops. If the team can’t agree on assignments, or are quibbling
over some detail, use the bidding process to get the essential units you want. Now deploy your new forces.
While you can generally place them in one or more provinces anywhere that is friendly, again you might
want to get together with your team and hash out a deployment scheme.

General Game Flow
Play proceeds through a series of turns. There are four ‘Week’ turns, (most turns lasting four real days each)
followed by a ‘Monthly’ turn (two real days length). Each ‘Week’ consists of a Movement phase (two real days)
and usually a Combat phase (another two day’s real time). The bulk of the time for each phase consists of the
players working out their plans with each other, and submitting their orders by the deadline. The GM processes
those orders within six hours of the closing of the deadline and posts the updates to the forum. This starts the
clock for the next phase, with the next player orders due within 48 hours.

Unit Movement - A Movement turn consists of two movement phases. Infantry and artillery move one area
(during the second movement phase), while ships (includes ground units transported at sea), armor, mech infantry
and self-propelled artillery can move up to two.

Movement Restrictions -
Units cannot leave an area if there are more enemy units than friendly ones.

Sea - Ground units can only enter friendly controlled sea zones. Naval units start movement by deploying into the
sea zone adjacent to their port. Naval units must stop movement when entering enemy controlled, or
un-controlled sea zones.

Air units must stay within two provinces (or one sea zone) of a friendly province.
Rail movement. Up to six ground units may move by rail each turn. They may move from any friendly province to
any other friendly province, as long as both provinces can trace a path of friendly provinces to the capital. Units moving
by rail move in the second phase.

Movement Orders - List each province where you have units, then where you plan for the units in that province
to go to for each phase.

For airplanes and submarines, simply list the destination for the units.​

Combat - Not much you HAVE to do; the units will automatically pick useful targets to smack around. You could
set priorities for shooting, but you don’t have to.

If you are the battle commander though, you will have to pick a Tactic, and choose a Resolve level. At a minimum
level of effort, pick a random Tactic. You could go wrong, but it is only for one round of the fight.

The Resolve level is a bit more involved. This value determines when your side decides to yield the field to the enemy.
It represents the percentage of your force remaining in the fight. The higher the value (range is 0-100); the sooner
your side will bail. Use common sense in picking the value.

Some things to think about:
1. Ground troops can only retreat to a province, NOT a sea zone.
2. The more different types of units you have in the fight, the greater the chance that you will be able to damage the
enemy before you are shot at.
3. When a unit is hit by an enemy, normally it just retreats out of the battle. There is a chance however, that it will be
destroyed, and placed in the Salvage box. Roughly half the units in Salvage are placed in the Muster box each turn, the
remainder generally is destroyed.​

Monthly Turn- Consists of up to four phases; Victory Check, Assignments, Research, and Production.

Assignments - This is where players get new units. The Muster box contains all of the units awaiting assignment to a
player. Players may bid what Influence they posses on which ones they want to control. The high bidder for a given
unit takes possession. As part of the bid for a unit, the player indicates the destination province for the unit. The GM
assigns units that no one has bid on to random players.

Research - The player with the lowest Glory value directs the placement of research tokens. That player assigns the
tokens as desired in the research fields. However, for any field, there may only be an increase of one token over the
previous turn. The more tokens a field has, the better the chance that those units will win on the battlefield.

Production - Again, the player with the lowest glory value directs the production Focus. That player can either add one
chip to a particular unit type, or move one from one type to another. The Focus values for unit types generally increases
the number of units of that type produced.

Province Repair - Players may allocate their Influence to repairing damaged provinces. Damaged provinces do not
contribute to new unit production. The player pays from one to five of their Influence and rolls a die. If the result plus
the spent Influence is six or higher, the province repairs back to normal.

Influence assignment - Generally, the lower your Glory, the greater the amount of additional influence you receive.​

Last edited:
I'll join. Bio will come later. North please.

I would like to be a CSA CV admiral please.

By Initial CSA leader you mean I am basically the Chief of Staff?

By Initial CSA leader you mean I am basically the Chief of Staff?

You are the only CSA leader so far.

If no others join, then yes, you have it all.

If others join the South though, then you will have to work with them within the confines of the written game rules (let me know and I will send you a copy) and decide on what each player has to work with.

Bakerydog, your inbox is full. Please empty some of it out so I can send the rest of the rules to you. :happy:

Orders of Battle (OB)
(16-31 July, 1861)

United States Army

Chief of Staff
General Irvin McDowell (Muskeato)​

Army of Northeastern Virginia*
Lieutenant General Patrick Mosby (Morrell8)

Composition:
Transit: ~45,000 infantry, ~4,000 cavalry, ~150 guns
Present: (~30,000 infantry, ~5,000 cavalry, ~70 guns)
Total: ~75,000 infantry, ~9,000 cavalry, ~220 guns

I Corps (100%)
Major General Evan von Adams (Comm Cody)​

II Corps (100%)
Major General Ian F. Asre (jacob-Lundgren)​

III Corps (100%)
Major General Mark Scott (bugwar)​

IV Corps (100%)
Lieutenant General Patrick Mosby (Morrell8)​

General Officers Pending Commands:
Stanley Sullivan (Gradiant),
George A. Fairfax (Stuckenschmidt),
Ioannis M. Vallas (Maxwell500),
George Patterson (Thandros),
Thomas Ress (Keldonia-Skylar)​

Confederate States Army
Chief of Staff:
General P.G.T. Beauregard (Frymonmon)​

Army of the Potomac*
Lieutenant General Joseph Darrow (Syriana)​

Composition:
Transit: 30,000 infantry, 2,000 cavalry, 40 guns
Present: 30,000 infantry, 4,000 cavalry, 90 guns
Total: 60,000 infantry, 6,000 cavalry, 130 guns

I Corps (100%):
Major General Michael White (bakerydog)​

II Corps (100%):
Major General Henry von Gneisenau (Spectre17)​

III Corps (100%):
Major General James C. Neill Jr. (gav1230)​

IV Corps (100%):
Major General Cave Johnson (king hannibal)​

General Officers Pending Commands:
Patrick Fallon (LeeroyJenkins),
Peter Ericson (hygge0302),
Joseph Reynolds (Riccardo93)​

----

*Until early 1862, these were the official names of both armies fighting in northern Virginia. For the sake of clarity and a lack of confusion, the Army of Northeastern Virginia (Union) will become the Army of the Potomac, and the Army of the Potomac (Confederate) will become the Army of Northern Virginia after the first update.

Last edited:
Emptied.

This definitely looks cool. I'd love to join. No side preference, I'll go wherever you need me.

Also the map and story can't help but remind me of the Timeline-191 books by Harry Turtledove, those books are a favorite of mine!

Influence and You

I got an interesting question in the private mail.

"What do Influence Points do?"

In a nutshell, Influence is the game currency. Players use it to outbid other players for particular units, gain initiative to move their nation's units before the enemy, and repair damage to provinces. There may be additional uses, but those are the ones on the top of my head.

New Leader

This definitely looks cool. I'd love to join. No side preference, I'll go wherever you need me.
Also the map and story can't help but remind me of the Timeline-191 books by Harry Turtledove, those books are a favorite of mine!

Glad to have you aboard!
I will take you at your word and assign you to the United States. That evens up the player count for each side.

And yes, Turtledove was a STRONG influence on this. I enjoyed the series also. :)

Movement Orders Format

I am trying to come up with a convenient format for players to use in submitting movement orders.
I want it able to handle a potentially large number of orders per player.
I also want it to work simply with the forum messaging system.
In addition, I would like it to be something that the GM would be able to process quickly, with the minimum of errors.

What I am thinking about so far is use the following:

PLAYER - (player name)
BID - (amount of IP bid for Movement Initiative)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Province - (Province ID)
Priority - (Movement Priority of units)
(Unit type in CAPS) (Quantity), P1 - (First movement phase province ID), P2 - (Second movement phase province ID)

1. If a unit does not move during a phase, insert the phrase ‘STAY’.
2. If a unit travels by rail, add (RAIL) to the province ID.
3. Separate each area with a string of ‘xxxx’.

An example of orders using the format is:

PLAYER - bugwar
BID - (2)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Province - NEWT
Priority - 1
INF (3), P1 - STAY, P2 - ORNF
INF (2), P1 - STAY, P2 - MALK
INF (4), P1 - STAY, P2 - JAX
ART (1), P1 - STAY, P2 - ORNF
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Province - SALT
Priority - 2
ARM (1), P1 - NEWT, P2 - MONT
INF(2), P1 - STAY, P2 - DELW(RAIL)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Thanks.

Guys, I'm sorry, but this is way to complicated for me. I'm gonna drop out. I would just end up messing the game up.