• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kurblius

General
31 Badges
Feb 23, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
I've just become Emperor as Navarre for the first time, so I'm just discovering the new diplomatic options. A few questions:

1.) I understand that "Enforcing Religious Unity" whether through peace deals or diplomacy gives me Imperial Authority. Current IA is at 1, the Reformation is in full swing at 1512. I figured I should wait around a bit for it to calm down before I start requesting countries to convert, since I lose (10 IA?) points for every conversion away from my religion (Catholism). At what point does the Reformation stop/how long should I wait before I start converting?

2.) I want to change into a Republic - I'm really disliking Monarchies. Will I be able to change to a Republic and stay as Emperor after I pass the "Proclaim Erbkaisertum" reform?

3.) What's this business with Emperors, IA and Hordes?

4.) Do I lose relations with other HRE members if I attack a HRE member as Emperor? I'm not in the Empire.

What you need to do here is convert to Protestantism or Reformed and start demanding conversion to your faith from Catholicism. If they refuse once and accept you go even on IA spent; if they accept right away you gain IA; and you won't lose IA from them converting of their own volition first.

I don't think you'll be able to switch to a Republic post-Erbkaisertum.

Emperors used to get IA for bordering hordes/being in horde wars, but that turned out to be really OP so it was removed.

Can't say for sure if being Emperor negates the usual hit to relations with HRE states from attacking other HRE states as a non-HRE state.

I've just become Emperor as Navarre for the first time, so I'm just discovering the new diplomatic options. A few questions:

1.) I understand that "Enforcing Religious Unity" whether through peace deals or diplomacy gives me Imperial Authority.
Yes. Note that trying unsuccessfully to enforce it by diplomacy costs you a fat chunk of Prestige.

Current IA is at 1, the Reformation is in full swing at 1512. I figured I should wait around a bit for it to calm down before I start requesting countries to convert, since I lose (10 IA?) points for every conversion away from my religion (Catholism). At what point does the Reformation stop/how long should I wait before I start converting?
The province flip events take 100 years to stop.

2.) I want to change into a Republic - I'm really disliking Monarchies. Will I be able to change to a Republic and stay as Emperor after I pass the "Proclaim Erbkaisertum" reform?
Yes.

3.) What's this business with Emperors, IA and Hordes?
As Emperor, you get 10 IA every time you win a defensive war against a non-Imperial attacker. Hordes attack anyone they don't have a truce with, so if you (as Emperor) get a border with a horde you can reliably beat, you can farm the horde for IA. Note that this exploit has been removed in the 5.2 beta patches.

4.) Do I lose relations with other HRE members if I attack a HRE member as Emperor? I'm not in the Empire.
I don't believe so, but I haven't checked in detail. I very seldom play non-Imperial nations in a "get the Imperial crown" way; as a non-HRE state I generally either ignore the Empire or try to destroy it.

I also have an inevitable question: Can you afford a big enough army to go toe-to-toe with the largest non-Imperial nation that borders the Empire? If you don't, being Emperor is a recipe for trouble.

I also have an inevitable question: Can you afford a big enough army to go toe-to-toe with the largest non-Imperial nation that borders the Empire? If you don't, being Emperor is a recipe for trouble.

I took the crown mainly because I didn't want anyone else to take it. My greatest threats are within the Empire - Burgandy is eating France like it's chicken, while Brandenburg is enormous and in a personal union with Austria. To allow either of them to acquire the manpower bonus of the Emperor would be disastrous. I may decide to ditch the crown once I reduce both of them to size, but until then I need it. And yes, I can afford it - I currently have the largest standing army in the world... though only a few regiments larger than Burgandy's :p.