• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Misha Brianski

First Lieutenant
78 Badges
Sep 24, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Impire
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
Please, please, please make achievements in EUIV. Or i call Barak Obama and tell him that Sweden has more oil fields than Iran and Iraq taken together!

Seriously, if you are not able to do it by yourself, let Steam do it for you. I played EUIII more than 600 hours on Steam. Given the fact that i've known about this game and bought it only one year ago. I wouldn't spend so much time if there were no achievements. Well, at first game i conquered entire world by Russia (of course). And that's it? Why do i have to play for another country? If not achievements, game could stop at this point for me. But then i realised that there are other ways to re-play the game. I'd never imagine that american nations are not just dummies. But i did it. I conquered a half of Europe by Cherokees. And i was very pleased by that :)

If you will not make achievements i doubt i will buy EUIV. Know why? I bought CKII this summer. I completed one game and i have no reasons to re-play it. And no expansions or dlcs will force me to do that. CKII is buried for me.

At least in-game achievements. Come on! I still believe in you.

P.S. I know there's a lot of hipsters (hipsters mustdie, you know) who hate achievements and tell us silly stories about "mainstream" and "good game is good even without achievements". That's what i can say. Imagine that you are supermarket manager. And some of your customers are vegetarians. What will you do? Remove all meat from your market or just make some section for those who eat only grass? Think about ALL customers, not about only ones who probably die out soon (like dinosaurs and disco) :p

I think the OP is versed a little strongly (Hipsters, what?), but I think archievements would make sense to have included. They're there in 5.1 at least. Somewhat.

I think the OP is versed a little strongly (Hipsters, what?), but I think archievements would make sense to have included. They're there in 5.1 at least. Somewhat.

And several don't work correctly. There's also the consideration of somehow tracking them because obviously they are of little use if you can't brag about them right? Which leads to the issue of "gaming" the system to get an achievement vs doing it cleanly (save/restart/reload if you get a mission you don't like, a bad heir, etc). Going with steam-based achievements ties everyone into dealing with steam which is less than popular in some circles. The list of issues goes on and on...

Far better to use development time and resources on core game mechanics than fluff that a large number of players are at best indifferent to.

You do realize you can do everything you said above without achievements, right?

For me, achievements are rather irrelevant. However, I can understand if someone wants to have them - they DO add a sense of a "goal" to accomplish. And, honestly, adding achievements seems like a very minor issue in terms of development time, and I think it would increase the customer base.

I've read somewhere that paradox connect (and hence achievements) was being dropped. I've just been incapable of finding the post.

Edit: Here it is.

Last edited:
Some achievements could work for beginners, to help them set their goals in educational way, I think.
If there will be more than just that, it will be bad for my OCD. :blush:

Last edited:
Perhaps achievements could be added when the Paradox version of Sim Medieval comes out.

EDIT: Sorry, that was a bit cruel of me. I just think achievements are the flash-lite of games that have nothing substantive to offer. Give me game features that increase my enjoyment while playing. You can have achievements, exciting, animated videos, and big-name actors/actresses who cut a few dozen lines before going onto the next movie and trying to forget about the whole experience. Just my two cents.

Johan has stated that there will not be achievements in EUIV and that the Paradox Connect system is being dismantled...that part at least.

Kind of the entire point of the format is to set your own goals
thats why you can start as any nation and play out any story you want to.
Achievements probably annoy more people than theyre vital for anyway.
If you only played the game once and cant bring yourself to play another game without the game telling you who to play as and what to do then thats very much your problem not something to bug or make demands of the developers over.

Achievements are a waste of developer time and they need to be overhawled every time a new patch comes out. Better drop them. EU is an open ended game with no victory conditions even. It better stay like that.

I understand some gamers like them and has gotten used to it from other games, but prioritizing things like this always comes at a cost. I think Paradox rightfully has concluded it's not worth it.