• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dracko81

Field Marshal
88 Badges
Jun 13, 2012
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Impire
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Surviving Mars
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
Just been looking around the modable text files and found this:

Code:
hard_ai = {
	land_morale = 0.25
	naval_morale = 0.25
	global_tax_modifier = 0.25
	levy_reinforce_rate = 0.05
}

very_hard_ai = {
	land_morale = 0.5
	naval_morale = 0.5
	global_tax_modifier = 0.5
	levy_reinforce_rate = 0.1
}

naval_morale? There is nothing that affects this at all in game under any circumstances, so the only 2 things I can think of is that is was intended at the start but later decided to leave out of the game. This would be left over missed code that was supposed to be deleted.

Or it is base framework for Naval Combat to come in future patches. Which is what I would prefer to be honest.

This has been around the forums a lot before and I think the general consensus was that it was added at the start of game design and never used.

I don't think there is any intentions to make a naval combat system in CKII; it's not really 'historical' (naval battles were very strange in the Medieval Ages- most of the time galleys just boarded each other) and there is other, more pressing things for PI to work on (Papacy and Byzantium mostly).

This has been around the forums a lot before and I think the general consensus was that it was added at the start of game design and never used.

This is what I thought, but it would be nice.

I don't think there is any intentions to make a naval combat system in CKII; it's not really 'historical' (naval battles were very strange in the Medieval Ages- most of the time galleys just boarded each other) and there is other, more pressing things for PI to work on (Papacy and Byzantium mostly).

But it is "historically" accurate to send 10 assassination attempts in one day, because you can afford to do it...regardless of success. History has a major role to play with game mechanic implementation, but it is not the sole influence.

Perhaps they could add "shipyards" to towns that would create x amount of war ships. Obviously they did not have cannons, but they had other means to sink transport ships in the past. I was not suggesting current "galleys" gain attack values capable of sinking other galleys. Perhaps they could cause attrition through combat to armies aboard the ships.

I think your historical arguement is majorly flawed. There are also more pressing issues then working on Papacy and Byzantium, like fixing all the bugs for example.

The statement "it's not historical" is always a very bad statement in pc-games because fun beats historical accurancy 9 times out of 10, there are always mods to enable/disable features so not to include naval combat in the game seems just like a poor excuse to me to save some money from the developer side.

The statement "it's not historical" is always a very bad statement in pc-games because fun beats historical accurancy 9 times out of 10, there are always mods to enable/disable features so not to include naval combat in the game seems just like a poor excuse to me to save some money from the developer side.

I think Mickey Mouse should be in the game... Why not, it would not be historical, but it would be fun.

If I want to play a fantasy game, I would not have bought CKII. I know that there are ahistorical elements, but the point is to lessen them, not add more.

I think Mickey Mouse should be in the game... Why not, it would not be historical, but it would be fun.

If I want to play a fantasy game, I would not have bought CKII. I know that there are ahistorical elements, but the point is to lessen them, not add more.

Naval combat was important since before Greece, and was from then on. This is the ONLY period in which it was not.

And realisticity, is not DID or DID NOT happen. It's "this happened", this could've/did kinda of happen", "this could not of happened", and (just for you) "doesn't even fit the genre of the game".

You're just being silly. Absurd argument is not convincing argument.

Navies were important in medieval times, not so much for army transportation (very costly), but more for trade, weapons and food transportation, and, militarily, for siege relief (in besieged coastal cities).

But navies were costly, very much unreliable, too much dependent on the weather, and prone to destruction by fire and shipwreck.

I don't think many Crusaders came to the Holy Land by ship (except for the Norwegians).
Instead, they marched through Europe.

The fourth Crusade failed because the Crusaders had to resort to Venitian ships that they couldn't pay for.