• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I mostly start in 1085 because Castille, Leon and Galicia are united and the Byzantines are weaker

Same here, though you can do that in 1080. Rum already exists, Byzantium has shrunk significantly, Iberian christians are united, and England has gone Norman as it was supposed to. The Seljuks are pushing the Fatimids in the Holy Lands, and the REAL reason for the Crusades now exists.

The best start for a long game with the biggest 'Mid Middle Ages' feel...

Lately i've started doing megacampaigns and i am starting from 1066 to get the full out of the game :)

It’s weird how so many people instinctively need the earliest possible start date, even though playing through to the end seems to be pretty rare (and, when listing DLC ideas, ‘expand the timeline to 1492’ is even rarer).

Anyway, I like 1077 or 1100. 1 Jan 1100 is good because you get the newly-formed KoJ, plus England turns English that day!

Because 1453 is the end of the big crusades,that is why the game ends there.Expanding the timeline to the past or past 1453 doesn't make sense and beats the purpose of the game to be part of the crusades and all the socio-economic changes they brought.It is not "Viking raiders"neither "Ostrogoths vs Byzantines" game.

Because 1453 is the end of the big crusades,that is why the game ends there.Expanding the timeline to the past or past 1453 doesn't make sense and beats the purpose of the game to be part of the crusades and all the socio-economic changes they brought.It is not "Viking raiders"neither "Ostrogoths vs Byzantines" game.

Actually, the game is about Medieval politics, the crusades are just a fun sideshow to this. That is why the game starts in 1066 and not 1095. (Also I do not understand where the Ostrogoths come into this?)

However, I do broadly agree that after 1453, some socioeconomic trends start to develop beyond the CK model. Albeit slowly. But the idea that the world in 1454 was unrecognisable from the world in 1452, or unplayable in CK terms, is silly.

We still need a cut-off date, of course - but we also need a way of encouraging players to start at non-1066 dates without feeling disadvantaged by the timeline. So I suggest dynamic end dates.

The 1066 start gives you 387 years. Let’s assume that that is apparently the ideal amount of gameplay time. Thus, players who start in 1077, without overpowered Fatimids, should be allowed to play until 1464. People who want crusader states can start in 1100, and play until 1487. There would still need to be a final cut-off for dynamic end dates, I suggest the 1105 start taking you up to 1492 (so starting after 1105 would eat into your gameplay time).

I realise this idea sounds faintly ludicrous, but it would solve all the problems people are complaining about.

Ostrogoths? I cannot imagine an expansion for CK 2 moving back in scope to Justinian's wars of the 6th century. That time frame is obviously better suited to another game, or a long-delayed expansion to EU:Rome. However, as a Byzantine player I certainly wouldn't mind the chance to relive the era of Basil "The Bulgar Slayer" and have the chance to keep the Empire from slipping into the decline that culminated with the Manzikert disaster. Moving forward in scope simply isn't ever going to happen; That time period is better represented by EU. Once they add in the DLC for the Orthodox nations, there won't be any more obvious directions to move without expanding the time frame of the game.

Ostrogoths? I cannot imagine an expansion for CK 2 moving back in scope to Justinian's wars of the 6th century. That time frame is obviously better suited to another game, or a long-delayed expansion to EU:Rome. However, as a Byzantine player I certainly wouldn't mind the chance to relive the era of Basil "The Bulgar Slayer" and have the chance to keep the Empire from slipping into the decline that culminated with the Manzikert disaster. Moving forward in scope simply isn't ever going to happen; That time period is better represented by EU. Once they add in the DLC for the Orthodox nations, there won't be any more obvious directions to move without expanding the time frame of the game.

The farthest I could see them going with CK2 feudal system making sense would be creation of HRE by Otto the Great in the 960's.

Moving forward in scope simply isn't ever going to happen; That time period is better represented by EU.
Why not? A few extra decades? I’m not asking for additional content or a different focus. It's not even expanding the official time frame. I merely thought a dynamic end date would give players a few extra years to tie up any loose ends in their campaign, and ensure that everyone got their 387 years of gameplay.

I'll have to try that, as I've never found any solution to an early start as the KOJ. Does France actually help you? I'd assume you'll get that "Sorry, we're unable to assist at this time" response for a war so far away.

Yes they actually did send help in my game that I played. It took some time but they arrived. I was angry at first thinking they left me out to dry, but just when I thought all was lost here came a stack of a few thousand Frenchmen to save the day. Never thought I'd say that lol