+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody NOT start their games from 1066?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

I too start often in 1205 and in 1337
    [22:23:51] <Groogy> Mathrim, give it to me gently
    What Crusader Kings 2 makes you say:
    [19:23:43] <Duke> I just need my damn wife to die
    [19:23:48] <Duke> Then I can invade and take their shit

Beautiful and Unique Snowflake Raczynski's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteEuropa Universalis: Rome

My problems with later starts is that they're often not that well developed and lack historical characters, relationship, etc.

That said, I often start 10.12.1081 even when I'm not playing Byzantium, and also had games started in 1094, 1099, 1100 and 1102.
    A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire.

Wow, I also like 1204/1205.
    A lot of interesting things going on in Middle East, and there is no OP Fatimids.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi

I start in 1255.1.2.
    You can guess who I play with.
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thou foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

I mostly start in 1085 because Castille, Leon and Galicia are united and the Byzantines are weaker

I mostly start in 1085 because Castille, Leon and Galicia are united and the Byzantines are weaker, and thus making the muslims stronger in the east and weaker in the west.

Other start date is ~1200 because of the crusader states and more interesting HRE. (Lower Lorraine has collapsed.)

I quite like starting as Byz on 10 December 1081.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

That said,in 1205 i like starting as one of the greek successor states and in 1337 as the beyliks of asia minor(expect from the ottomans )
    [22:23:51] <Groogy> Mathrim, give it to me gently
    What Crusader Kings 2 makes you say:
    [19:23:43] <Duke> I just need my damn wife to die
    [19:23:48] <Duke> Then I can invade and take their shit

Going to Scarborough Fair cybrxkhan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    Haha I am exactly the same, for some odd reason I feel I am missing out, and would be annoyed if the game ended before I had done the things I wanted. In saying that, I have never ever played the game till the end, infact not even to 50 years before the end, maybe I should try some of these other dates out. Not too sure if they work with mods though (Prince and the Thane if anyone knows the anwser.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindahl View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, I think it would help a lot... As long as it is taken into consideration that some people like to start out as a count and some as a King...

I suggest exactly 1307. It's basically when the Sultanate of Rum has just broken up, so Anatolia has a lot of minor Sultans and/or beyliks (or whatever they are, I forgot) ready for play, and nearby in the Balkans there are a few competiting states with the Byzantines, so it's basically a free-for-all; Italy is also relatively broken up, with many independent city-states, counties, and duchies. The next few years after 1307 are good too, if you prefer a stronger Ottoman Sultanate rather than one that starts with one province; the years before 1307 aren't as interesting in my opinion because there are less independent Italian duchies and counties as you go back, and there's the big Sultanate of Rum hanging around.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IISemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I tend to start from jan 5 1068

I like to start with what ruler/dynasty I want to play. For example I am starting a game as Tamar the Great because I want to play as her then continue from there.

I think my first game was in 1066 since that game I never start in 1066 anymore.
    There's an old Italian saying, don't burn your tongue on another man's soup.

I like playing obscure, independent counts or two county dukes. I typically set to Jan 1 and then click through a year at a time and pick whatever odd looking independent pops up. I also prefer houses with no other title holders. Count Sigfus is still my fave though (1066-, Vestisland) for reasons I don't really understand.

The Muslim conflict does not interest me near as much as the infighting within Christian kingdoms so I'm usually in Scandinavia or just east of the HRE.

Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'd say that 95% of the time I start in 1066, but there are some times when I want to take the someone at their strongest(or weakest for that matter) and see what happens. Like taking the Seljuks in ~1070 when their at the strongest or one of the Russian dukes on a date were the Golden Horde is approaching.

On Double Secret Probation Comradebot's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RMoore View Post
    I like playing obscure, independent counts or two county dukes. I typically set to Jan 1 and then click through a year at a time and pick whatever odd looking independent pops up. I also prefer houses with no other title holders. Count Sigfus is still my fave though (1066-, Vestisland) for reasons I don't really understand.

The Muslim conflict does not interest me near as much as the infighting within Christian kingdoms so I'm usually in Scandinavia or just east of the HRE.
    Because he's awesome, that's why. He was my first king ever, having been crowned first Duke of York after a successful invasion of England by Norway. All of the king's kids died (on assassinated by a family member, another fighting rebels), and the two dukes they tried to elect ahead of me died of old age.

Thus, all hail King Sigfus af Oddi!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I mostly start at 15 July 1099. First Crusade is over and KoJ is established. And it's fun to play as Crusader states in that time. It's challange to survive against Muslims.

Slacker Extraordinaire Zzzzz...'s Avatar
    67 games registered

If the place is comfy to sleep in, yes, you can find me there!
    I'm playing as the post-Latin-Empire Palaiologos and rebuild the Empire. It got so awkward when I switch to elective, suddenly every king starts to vote for himself (dejure empire is large, mind).

Also, there's a mod that gives more bookmarks. It's good.
    The list of all my AARs: INKWELL

Current AAR: Golden Sun - A KR Kurdistan AAR - Darkest Hour
    The Policies of Grandeur - Coming Soon!

Emperor Demi Moderator Marconius's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDungeonland
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Magicka: Wizard Wars Starter WizardWarlock 2: The Exiled

I tend to start in 1066; the game takes a few decades to really get rolling anyway, so I don't like to waste time. Plus I like to always start at the same time, because that was I can learn a lot of the opportunities and threats at the start; like how in Hungary, the king is a child and three of the dukes (out of three) all have claims on the crown -and- they're brothers with each other and of the king's dynasty, but not closely related to the king. Essentially, you start with three dukes who hate your guts and want the crown, but love each other.

I guess some other dates might be interesting, but... I guess I'm just used to 1066 by now! I play CK2+ anyway, so not much blobbing going on.

Crusader Kings IIMagickaSengoku

Blog Entries
    There is a large difference between an early and later start dates. I find that 1337 is ridiculously detailed when it comes to children of some dynasties: the Iberian kings have children who lived a month and then died whilst in 1066 they would have been ignored totally because they don't matter.

Imperial Vicar of the HRE Ruwaard's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    Warlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Though I start like 50% of my games in 1066 (sometimes Stamford Bridge, but more often Hastings), I also like starting games at dates, which are interesting for a particular region and/or dynasty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast