+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Question about how EU3 relates to other Paradox strategy games

  1. #1

    Question about how EU3 relates to other Paradox strategy games

    I noticed in a few threads people mentioning using save games from other titles with the EU3 game.

    I'm very intrigued by this so can someone fill me in on what games can interact with EU3 please??

    (side note: Only Paradox strategy game i've played is EU3 so feel free to recommend/compare it to other Paradox strategy games)

  2. #2
    Field Marshal grommile's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northampton, England (in 237)
    Posts
    5,836
    The obvious first note is that you need to get a third-party tool to do it. (You can find links to some of these projects in the Modding forum, which you can get access to by registering your base game.)

    The current games to either side of EU3 on the timeline are Crusader Kings II and Victoria 2.
    Nothing scares infantry like tanks that can see them. Nothing scares tank crews like infantry they can't see.

    If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

  3. #3
    Cool, thanks for the info. again Grommile. (Is the 3rd party tool perfectly above board with Paradox?)

    I saw something about Vicky>Hearts of Iron, is it possible to start a game in CK2, bring that game into EU3, that game into Victoria 2 and then finally into HoI3??

  4. #4
    I noticed on Wikipedia that CK2, EU3, Victoria 2 and Hearts of Iron 3 all use the same game engine ant that the time frames of each individual game roughly add up.

    So is it difficult to go from one of these games onto the other carrying over save data from the previous title??

    Sounds like something I gotta attempt to do, endless hours of SP and MP fun to be had!!

  5. #5
    custom luser title gela1212's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Timucua/Seminole, Uncolonized
    Posts
    3,072
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by venividivicious View Post
    Cool, thanks for the info. again Grommile. (Is the 3rd party tool perfectly above board with Paradox?)

    I saw something about Vicky>Hearts of Iron, is it possible to start a game in CK2, bring that game into EU3, that game into Victoria 2 and then finally into HoI3??
    CK2 -> EU3 is pretty much a no go (unless you want it to seem very clumsy and messy) the massive amount of things that would become tags in CK2 just doesn't work, unless you convert only completely independent realms, which still doesn't work horribly well. For the other games, I can't exactly say.



    Winner of Best Gameplay AAR (EU 1-3) Q3 2011
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 6/26/11; 9/2/2013


    "i don't like ppl coyping me" - iwanow

  6. #6
    Field Marshal grommile's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northampton, England (in 237)
    Posts
    5,836
    It's worth noting that it takes extremely self-restricted play to start in one paradox game in SP and reach the end with the world in a suitable state for picking up the same country in the next.
    Nothing scares infantry like tanks that can see them. Nothing scares tank crews like infantry they can't see.

    If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

  7. #7
    custom luser title gela1212's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Timucua/Seminole, Uncolonized
    Posts
    3,072
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by grommile View Post
    It's worth noting that it takes extremely self-restricted play to start in one paradox game in SP and reach the end with the world in a suitable state for picking up the same country in the next.
    Unless you're me and you're absolutely atrocious at three of four Paradox games, and instead of learning you just load up EU3 again every time you fail.



    Winner of Best Gameplay AAR (EU 1-3) Q3 2011
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 6/26/11; 9/2/2013


    "i don't like ppl coyping me" - iwanow

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gela1212 View Post
    CK2 -> EU3 is pretty much a no go (unless you want it to seem very clumsy and messy) the massive amount of things that would become tags in CK2 just doesn't work, unless you convert only completely independent realms, which still doesn't work horribly well. For the other games, I can't exactly say.
    Okay, seems to make sense. What would these tags be btw?

    Quote Originally Posted by grommile View Post
    It's worth noting that it takes extremely self-restricted play to start in one paradox game in SP and reach the end with the world in a suitable state for picking up the same country in the next.
    Seems to be the best way of doing that would be to have more than 2 players maybe, 2 vs 2 for example, but i'm geussing making sure everyone has the same mod files/save games could be problematic?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by venividivicious View Post
    Seems to be the best way of doing that would be to have more than 2 players maybe, 2 vs 2 for example, but i'm geussing making sure everyone has the same mod files/save games could be problematic?
    This is much more problematic at the later stages since CK naturally limits your opportunity to wreck the entire world due to the small area it includes. Also, unless the latest patches/DLC have changed things, keeping a large empire together is significantly more problematic than in original CK.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by brifbates View Post
    This is much more problematic at the later stages since CK naturally limits your opportunity to wreck the entire world due to the small area it includes. Also, unless the latest patches/DLC have changed things, keeping a large empire together is significantly more problematic than in original CK.
    When you say wreck the entire world do you mean a WC?

  11. #11
    custom luser title gela1212's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Timucua/Seminole, Uncolonized
    Posts
    3,072
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by venividivicious View Post
    2 vs 2 for example
    I've been wanting to do team play for awhile, but everyone wants to do FFA campaign and still end up with one nation pretty much winning.



    Winner of Best Gameplay AAR (EU 1-3) Q3 2011
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 6/26/11; 9/2/2013


    "i don't like ppl coyping me" - iwanow

  12. #12
    Well i've only registered my EU3 game now and i'm not sure what version of the game that you're playing but if you're looking to set up a 2 vs 2 game i'm willing to participate. Only issue would be what time(s) in the week and all that.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by gela1212 View Post
    CK2 -> EU3 is pretty much a no go (unless you want it to seem very clumsy and messy) the massive amount of things that would become tags in CK2 just doesn't work, unless you convert only completely independent realms, which still doesn't work horribly well. For the other games, I can't exactly say.
    Going from CK2 to EU3 isn't that bad. There is a converter which produces a playable game now, and another project underway. Some countries will have strange inappropriate names and which vassal relationships are preserved is a little haphazard, but it works. There is one for EU3 -> V2 as well, which you can make a mod that actually carries over all the EU3 name tags. I believe there's a project for V2 -> HOI3, but I don't know anything about it.

    Grommile is correct that most players tend to go on such an expansionist run in CK2 that the resulting EU3 game isn't very challenging, but you can always play a different country and be amused to see what the A.I. does with your monstrous Irish Empire.

  14. #14
    Maintaining a challenge throughout 2 games would be tough enough, throughout 4 games would be very difficult. I suppose the hardest difficulty in every game wouldn't cut it, would including other human players be the only solution??

    How did you know i'd be picking Ireland magritte??! (I'm geussing the avatar?)

  15. #15
    custom luser title gela1212's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Timucua/Seminole, Uncolonized
    Posts
    3,072
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by magritte2 View Post
    Some countries will have strange inappropriate names and which vassal relationships are preserved is a little haphazard,
    That's what I meant by clumsy and messy. :P



    Winner of Best Gameplay AAR (EU 1-3) Q3 2011
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 6/26/11; 9/2/2013


    "i don't like ppl coyping me" - iwanow

  16. #16
    If that's the only hiccup then it doesn't sound too bad, I mean starting a game in Crusader Kings 2 and finishing it in Hearts of Iron 3 would be awesome and quite a long game.

  17. #17
    Field Marshal jdrou's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    22,571
    Playing across multiple titles seems most suited for MP where you can have a real balance of power keeping one player from dominating the world. In SP people tend to get bored by halfway through EU3 because it becomes too easy and starting with an already dominant country imported from CK/CK2 would only make that worse.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

    Playing EU4

    Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

  18. #18
    Oooh, a Custom User Title? Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto! Canada! ZOMG!
    Posts
    642
    Honestly, the converters work best if you then go through the save-game and manually edit things to be in the state you want them too. And even then, a lot of the events won't make any sense.
    I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing
    Cogito Ergo Sum

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrou View Post
    Playing across multiple titles seems most suited for MP where you can have a real balance of power keeping one player from dominating the world. In SP people tend to get bored by halfway through EU3 because it becomes too easy and starting with an already dominant country imported from CK/CK2 would only make that worse.
    Would make for a very good MP i'd say. I agree that it mightn't be enough of a challenge for SP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn ap Nud View Post
    Honestly, the converters work best if you then go through the save-game and manually edit things to be in the state you want them too. And even then, a lot of the events won't make any sense.
    Are you referring to when you set advisors to historical when starting an EU3 game?

  20. #20
    custom luser title gela1212's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Timucua/Seminole, Uncolonized
    Posts
    3,072
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by venividivicious View Post
    Would make for a very good MP i'd say. I agree that it mightn't be enough of a challenge for SP.
    I'd play a campaign with you if you want. Just PM me and we can set up a day & time that works for both of us.



    Winner of Best Gameplay AAR (EU 1-3) Q3 2011
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 6/26/11; 9/2/2013


    "i don't like ppl coyping me" - iwanow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts