• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mercury Knuckle

Second Lieutenant
71 Badges
Apr 17, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Lead and Gold
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
I have a question that I can't find the answer to in any guide.

How is the next pope determined? Where does he come from?

If I recall correctly, In CK1: Deus Vault, the new pope is randomly picked from the top 3 pious bishops or archbishops in the world. Once elected, The Bishop's Bishopric (county) or Archbishopric (duchy) is given back to its liege and the new pope and his entire court move to Rome.

How does papal succession work in CK2?

A random dude is summoned from the depths of hell, no connections, no family, no previous life.

kind of black magic here... Burn the Pope !!! :laugh:

Yea, I wish Papal succession could be more complex. Some of the Popes I've seen in the game have horrible stats. And even some with Muslim portraits... Which hardly makes sense.

Besides, think of the potential!

If there was actually a system, people can abuse it, and who doesn't want to follow the Borgia's example and DOMINATE the Catholic world through politics and bribes!

Well, most of the real medieval popes were Italian 'nobodies'. If you load up in 1337 and check the History tab of the Papacy, you'll see that very few of them actually have any interesting background at all, so as far as 'realism' goes, it's better than CK1 appointing people from all over the world.

Of course, it is a terribly boring system CKII has.

Imagine the new chain events...

Rulers bribing Cardinals to change their votes (deeper pockets wins)
Spymasters assasinating Cardinals
Chancellors or Chaplains trying to influence Cardinals
Deadlocked Conclaves
New Pope indebted to the ruler who supported him or new Pope enraged with the ruler who opposed his election (that could make a nice chain event)
Cardinals being bribed to elect an Antipope

And many many more

Also roughly the same events could apply to Orthodoxs too if a Patriarchal election system applied there...

I love Medieval II's system.

1. Direct involvement in Papal elections.
2. Inquisitors wandering the map killing unfaithful individuals (and sometimes your best generals!)
3. Excommunication has far more reaching consequences compared to CKII.

Well, most of the real medieval popes were Italian 'nobodies'. If you load up in 1337 and check the History tab of the Papacy, you'll see that very few of them actually have any interesting background at all, so as far as 'realism' goes, it's better than CK1 appointing people from all over the world.

Of course, it is a terribly boring system CKII has.

True enough, few Popes of the day came from "Great Dynasties" but the Avignon Papacy (1309-1376) is a good example to show that secular leaders did meddle in the papal election and affairs as much as they could, to say nothing of the constant struggles between the Papacy and the Emperor... and the anti-pope system hardly reflects any of that.

True enough, few Popes of the day came from "Great Dynasties" but the Avignon Papacy (1309-1376) is a good example to show that secular leaders did meddle in the papal election and affairs as much as they could, to say nothing of the constant struggles between the Papacy and the Emperor... and the anti-pope system hardly reflects any of that.
Agreed, but you could turn the argument around: what's the use of a more in-depth papal election when popes don't provide a counterbalance to mighty kings and emperors anyway? Why add complex election mechanics to a dude who doesn't do much more than excommunicate some measly counts every now and then? The papacy in CKII has way bigger problems than popes being spawned from nowhere, in my opinion.