+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Papal Succession in CKII

Papal Succession in CKII

I have a question that I can't find the answer to in any guide.

How is the next pope determined? Where does he come from?

If I recall correctly, In CK1: Deus Vault, the new pope is randomly picked from the top 3 pious bishops or archbishops in the world. Once elected, The Bishop's Bishopric (county) or Archbishopric (duchy) is given back to its liege and the new pope and his entire court move to Rome.

How does papal succession work in CK2?

A random dude is summoned from the depths of hell, no connections, no family, no previous life.

First Lieutenant
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Haresus View Post
    A random dude is summoned from the depths of hell, no connections, no family, no previous life.
    That needs some SERIOUS work!!

Bleeding for Harder Styles Arko's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the Throne
    MagickaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

kind of black magic here... Burn the Pope !!!
    membre du Réseau Gamers et Stratégie, tout sur CK2&EU4 en français

Les 3 Tours / The 3 Towers : an economical and medieval flavour mod -NEW-
    ARKOpack Armoiries & Interface : a CoA and Interface mod
    La Pléiade : Europa universalis IV (vraiment) en français !
    Member of H.I.P : Historical Immersion Project

Mini MODs is the answer !

EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

A time-travelling demon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGrTvNzGCZE

He's not even levitating me down!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi

you don’t say.
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thou foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Wow, really? Even Medieval II: Total War had a pope that came from somewhere. How much trouble would it be to get the game to work like it did in CK1DV?

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Too much, obviously. I'm convinced that Paradox will enhance the whole Papal mechanism though.

Crusader Kings II

Yea, I wish Papal succession could be more complex. Some of the Popes I've seen in the game have horrible stats. And even some with Muslim portraits... Which hardly makes sense.

Besides, think of the potential!

If there was actually a system, people can abuse it, and who doesn't want to follow the Borgia's example and DOMINATE the Catholic world through politics and bribes!

Well, most of the real medieval popes were Italian 'nobodies'. If you load up in 1337 and check the History tab of the Papacy, you'll see that very few of them actually have any interesting background at all, so as far as 'realism' goes, it's better than CK1 appointing people from all over the world.

Of course, it is a terribly boring system CKII has.

Imagine the new chain events...

Rulers bribing Cardinals to change their votes (deeper pockets wins)
    Spymasters assasinating Cardinals
    Chancellors or Chaplains trying to influence Cardinals
    Deadlocked Conclaves
    New Pope indebted to the ruler who supported him or new Pope enraged with the ruler who opposed his election (that could make a nice chain event)
    Cardinals being bribed to elect an Antipope

And many many more

Also roughly the same events could apply to Orthodoxs too if a Patriarchal election system applied there...

I have to agree here. Nearly every Pope I've had is absolutely fascinated with impalement.

I love Medieval II's system.

1. Direct involvement in Papal elections.
    2. Inquisitors wandering the map killing unfaithful individuals (and sometimes your best generals!)
    3. Excommunication has far more reaching consequences compared to CKII.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas2000 View Post
    I have to agree here. Nearly every Pope I've had is absolutely fascinated with impalement.
    And possessed popes... Now I know where they came from.

First Lieutenant
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Zwebbie View Post
    Well, most of the real medieval popes were Italian 'nobodies'. If you load up in 1337 and check the History tab of the Papacy, you'll see that very few of them actually have any interesting background at all, so as far as 'realism' goes, it's better than CK1 appointing people from all over the world.

Of course, it is a terribly boring system CKII has.
    True enough, few Popes of the day came from "Great Dynasties" but the Avignon Papacy (1309-1376) is a good example to show that secular leaders did meddle in the papal election and affairs as much as they could, to say nothing of the constant struggles between the Papacy and the Emperor... and the anti-pope system hardly reflects any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by GillesDeRais View Post
    True enough, few Popes of the day came from "Great Dynasties" but the Avignon Papacy (1309-1376) is a good example to show that secular leaders did meddle in the papal election and affairs as much as they could, to say nothing of the constant struggles between the Papacy and the Emperor... and the anti-pope system hardly reflects any of that.
    Agreed, but you could turn the argument around: what's the use of a more in-depth papal election when popes don't provide a counterbalance to mighty kings and emperors anyway? Why add complex election mechanics to a dude who doesn't do much more than excommunicate some measly counts every now and then? The papacy in CKII has way bigger problems than popes being spawned from nowhere, in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread