• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bahhumbag

Private
15 Badges
Aug 8, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
Hey guys the title says it all...

I'm quite interested in the new mechanics and methods of playing as a Muslim faction, but I can't quite justify spending another 10 bucks for SOI (broke college student). So I would like pick the brains of all you rich sons of guns lol.

So what is special about playing as a muslim faction? I think playing as the Fatimids you starting off having the Mamluks as vassals? Are they like a 7700 holy order?

What about the Hashashins? Can you vassalize them? Are they like another mercenary company? or can you order them to assassinate people?

What about the hajji? what does it do for you?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Sorry about coming off as a cheapskate and not buying the DLC, but there is no in-detail description of the DLC anywhere.

I got SoI when it was on sale on Steam for around two dollars, so I can't really tell you if it's worth ten. I enjoy playing Muslims on occasion, but they're a lot like Christians when you are the player, in my opinion.

Even though Muslim AI may gang up on Christians when they Holy War you, it doesn't happen when you're playing as the Muslim Holy War-er. Even on the defense they are reluctant to come to your aid, so when you're playing as a Muslim ruler (at least in my experience) it's quite like a Christian except with decadence. Decadence is a bitch, but if you're willing to play gamey (or with a custom dynasty) it's not really a problem. The Fatmids and Seljuks usually have huge decadence issues within the first two generations. I don't usually have the maximum four wives so... meh. The Hashashins are a Shia Holy Order, so I don't have much experience with them. I'm assuming you can vassalize them in the same way you can vassalize a Christian Holy Order, but don't quote me on that. The Hajj pretty much gives you a big boost in piety, prestige, gives you a lot of interesting events, and gives you a cool opinion modifier (+10) with all your vassals. I personally think it's the coolest part of SoI.

Wait for a sale, I say. It is not entirely worth 10 bucks, but it is a nice piece of content to have. If you play a nice character decadence will eventually start to get irritating. You have to conquer more land, or all those cousins and brothers and sons and uncles and so on will be angry that you do not have more land to give them. If you play a more evil kind of character, you can easily imprison them all without any (I think) hit on tyranny. The Hajj is pretty cool, like this big event chain where you get a lot of nice bonuses. I have not noticed the Hashashins or Mamluks when playing in Iberia, so I have nothing to say there.

The feeling I got was that if you like war, the Muslims are the way to go. If you prefer intrigues, the Christians are better.

You know I think I saw a thread around here somewhere where some guy is giving away DLC. You could try your luck and maybe get it for free.

I can't stop laughing!!! :laugh: You are hilarious, subtlety hinting that "someone" just might be giving away free DLC. You made my day.

Also, that's really generous of you. And it's not the price, but the buying something just to give it away to random people. (If you somehow got an extra copy of all the DLC, the same still applies.)