• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lindorn

Sergeant
65 Badges
Oct 10, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Hey guys,

I really hope there is an easy way to avoid this. (Can I keep my king out of the battle?) I am literally losing games because of this problem. I just had a very high traited, 35 year old king die in a battle that was so one sided, half of my army could have stayed at the tents and I still would have lost less than 300 troops. (out of about 20k) I know there are elements of chance in this game, fine. My heir takes over. He dies in the exact same scenario about 5 minutes later.

I don't know what to do here. This is some Deux ex machina crap that's ruining my games. When I'm in a 1v1 war with a tougher opponent that's when I need my empire staying together the most. Losing kings will guarantee all of that falling apart in seconds.

I've pushed myself to learn all of the ins and outs of the game. I really hope Im just being stupid and theres a button somewhere that allows me not to send my king into battle.

This is something that I have to agree with! I always have my rulers die, get maimed or incapacitated whenever I go to stop rebels also. I was playing earlier today, with the Prince and Thane mod, and got declared Jihad on by the Fatimids. I just clicked to to raise my levies and then got an event that there was starvation going on in my siege and there was a 10% chance my character would die. Of course he died, but what siege was there?! I was still in the process of gathering my armies lol.

On a good note, I believe these things can be modded. If you go to the folder of your crusader kings 2, then the events folder, there is a text file called battle_events

For instance there is:

character_event = {
id = 242
desc = "EVTDESC242"
picture = "GFX_evt_death"
border = GFX_event_normal_frame_war

is_triggered_only = yes

mean_time_to_happen = {
days = 1
modifier = {

and this continues.

I believe that if you edit the mean_time_to_happen from 1 day to say 5, it will be come much less likely to happen. That or change the modifiers? Instead of changing the base file though, perhaps do this in a copy of your events folder and then make it into a mod, something I have been meaning to learn how to do. Anyhow much sympathies to your often dying kings!

Get your Crown level up. After that you can switch out who will lead your armies. I like to have my marshal and my least favourite person on the frontlines when possible.

Get your Crown level up. After that you can switch out who will lead your armies. I like to have my marshal and my least favourite person on the frontlines when possible.

I normally invite the best generals of the world, and switch my own generals out with them.

I don't think it'll help, at least not for the wounded/maimed events. I had it happen to my 8 martial ruler in a half-country mega stack and was scared to throw him out in battle again.

Do it manually? Call the personal levies of one of your holdings and let it sit there, while calling the rest and join them with the main army? I do that when I don't want my liege calling me personally to the frontlines. :D

If you don't absolutely need them, you can just disband the levy he is leading. If your country is large enough, this should only be a few hundred out of some thousands. And remember to not waste money on building military building in your capital.

If you don't want him leading troops do this.

Raise all your (personal) levies.

Find the levy commanded by your ruler, usually the one in your capital.

Select someone else to lead it.

Best reason to play under a liege, especially empire liege is your high stat ruler can get a council slot and you never have to swap him out every time you raise your armies, because he can't go to war since he's collecting taxes in county X for your liege.

Just don't have your king leading any of the columns? Usually that is the first thing I do when I raise the levies. I tend to swap them in with vassals with high combat and low relations with me. One never knows if there will be a loose arrow even for a one-sided battle.

Higher CA seems to be the best option if you are liege. Surely your martial skill increases with each battle won, does it not? And plus, maybe from and RP perspective, your troops will fight harder knowing their king/liege is fighting by their side.

Best reason to play under a liege, especially empire liege is your high stat ruler can get a council slot and you never have to swap him out every time you raise your armies, because he can't go to war since he's collecting taxes in county X for your liege.

On the other hand, if you do not end up on the council, and your liege is fond of warring, you may find your ruler constantly off in wars which are of no benefit to you, thus getting them wounded, maimed and incapacitated.

In terms of how best to avoid having your liege in battle, what I tend to do is:

When raising levies, raise the levy first in an out-of-the-way province with a small troop count. As soon as you do, the portrait of your character will change slightly, to represent that he is now leading troops. Raise all the other levies as necessary, and disband your character's.

They really need a "Don't raise player when raising armies" option. Why would a steward or scholar ride into battle?

+1.

There should be an explicit choice as to whether your King leads his levy or not, rather than the current cumbersome way of disbanding his troops, or rearranging your generals.

To give a little spice, and to encourage risking your King occasionally some +ive or -ive modifiers for your armies should be thrown in too.