• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Avindian

People's Commissar of the Navy
120 Badges
Jan 3, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I've been thinking of starting a new AAR for sometime now. It was originally going to be an FTM one, but PDS spoiled that by announcing a new expansion which I'll inevitably purchase. :) You may say, "Four AARs at once?! Are you mad?" The answer is, "Maybe." In any case, I'm starting a new one.

I originally did a tutorial for Vicky 2 with Syni Kyiva. It was generally well received. Now, we have A House Divided. It's different enough from the original that I think a spiritual successor to SK is needed.

Why Japan? A few reasons. First, we're relatively safe from invasion. Second, you'll get a chance to see a country Westernize. Third, the area is ripe for expansion. Fourth, there are enough states to make elections meaningful without too many to manage. I've never played Japan in AHD, but I did in vanilla, and it was a lot of fun. I don't necessarily expect you to follow along with me -- AHD isn't scripted, and you'd probably depart from me. I will be discussing key concepts, making sure to identify changes from the original.

House rules:

1. No breaking the Infamy limit.
2. No cheating or reloading.
3. Nothing too gamey.

Goals:

1. Westernize.
2. Try to recreate, as effectively as possible, the pre WWI Japanese Empire.
3. If I have time and the skill, go for the WWII Japanese Empire.
4. Introduce some measure of voting. (I am doing this solely for instructional purposes).
5. If possible, defeat China and Russia, as the real life Japanese did. (Should be no sweat, right? ... Right?!)

This will be entirely gameplay. There may be comedy, but no narrative.

I will begin this properly next weekend; maybe sooner. If you're a fan of my other AARs, don't fret, I will keep updating them as often as I can.

If you have specific questions or areas of concern, don't hesitate to ask!

Wall of Fame, or people who helped me overcome my own foolishness :)

calvinhobbeslik: For reminding me that AHD changes NF calculations; also, providing direct counterexamples to times that sphere masters haven't answered calls.
Omega124, Last_Revanant, Sirce: Making me find out exactly how Establish Protectorate works.
Alkane: Correcting some typos in the diplomacy section.
Stiefler: For getting things rolling in the "sphere masters always honor alliances with spherelings" direction.
Selzro: Reminding me that educational efficiency is affected by your education slider.
Omega124: Helping me fix Anarcho-Liberals and reform -- stupid Anarchists.
nanomagnetic: For explaining the mysteries of Educational Efficiency.
Vrael_1492: For helping me fix Italy and helping me (eventually) beat China.

Last edited:
Last edited:
As the Resident Japanese Nationalist. I approve. ^J^

I'm glad I have your support :)

Hawaii is a required conquest. And at least you aren't playing Pop Demand Mod, where Japan is fractured into the shogunate still... That's a bitch to unite. ._.

But at least in PDM, there's a land-connection between Japan and Korea, so I can watch my 80+k troops thanks to vassals cross over into Korea and beat them to death :D

Warning, sometimes the US likes to add you to their sphere through war means, so become a GP quickly. :p

Last edited:
Hawaii is a required conquest. And at least you aren't playing Pop Demand Mod, where Japan is fractured into the shogunate still... That's a bitch to unite. ._.

But at least in PDM, there's a land-connection between Japan and Korea, so I can watch my 80+k troops thanks to vassals cross over into Korea and beat them to death :D

Warning, sometimes the US likes to add you to their sphere through war means, so become a GP quickly. :p

Useful tips all!

well I really appreciated Syni Kyiva as a learning tool, so will follow this one with equal interest

Glad it was helpful! I hope this one is equally so.

Not owning AHD, there's little value in the AAR for me, but since Syni Kyiva and all your other AARs are so good, I'll be following.

let's see how this one goes !

wow youve got 3 AAR's going on now, i think i will follow this as i follow your other AAR's good luck

Not owning AHD, there's little value in the AAR for me, but since Syni Kyiva and all your other AARs are so good, I'll be following.

Will definitely be following this.

Glad to have so many devoted fans! And CivandEUIII, you should totally get AHD.

I've always had issues with westernizing uncivs in AHD (my armies always seem to become reactionary rebels), so it will be good to see how someone else will handle it.

I may not be any better; all of my AHD games so far have been as civilized nations. I shall do my utmost!

I'm following your other AAR's so I need to add this one as well.

You are one of my more devoted fans, so I'm glad to have you along.

After I update NRI, I'll crank out the introductory post for this AAR. While you wait, I'd like to ask how detailed you'd like that post to be. In other words, is my audience familiar with Vicky 2 or completely new to the series?

While there's some readers who are probably familiar with the series, I think for the sake of the newbies (those who see the "tutorial" part of this) it'd be beneficial to give us a newbie overview anyway.

5. If possible, defeat China and Russia, as the real life Japanese did. (Should be no sweat, right? ... Right?!)

No sweat on forehead :)

Looking forward to this one! Been following all your AARs lately and all of them are very good, and I hope this one will be good as well :)