+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliving the Restoration (for n00bs!) -- A Japanese AHD Tutorial AAR

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Reliving the Restoration (for n00bs!) -- A Japanese AHD Tutorial AAR

I've been thinking of starting a new AAR for sometime now. It was originally going to be an FTM one, but PDS spoiled that by announcing a new expansion which I'll inevitably purchase. You may say, "Four AARs at once?! Are you mad?" The answer is, "Maybe." In any case, I'm starting a new one.

I originally did a tutorial for Vicky 2 with Syni Kyiva. It was generally well received. Now, we have A House Divided. It's different enough from the original that I think a spiritual successor to SK is needed.

Why Japan? A few reasons. First, we're relatively safe from invasion. Second, you'll get a chance to see a country Westernize. Third, the area is ripe for expansion. Fourth, there are enough states to make elections meaningful without too many to manage. I've never played Japan in AHD, but I did in vanilla, and it was a lot of fun. I don't necessarily expect you to follow along with me -- AHD isn't scripted, and you'd probably depart from me. I will be discussing key concepts, making sure to identify changes from the original.

House rules:

1. No breaking the Infamy limit.
    2. No cheating or reloading.
    3. Nothing too gamey.

Goals:

1. Westernize.
    2. Try to recreate, as effectively as possible, the pre WWI Japanese Empire.
    3. If I have time and the skill, go for the WWII Japanese Empire.
    4. Introduce some measure of voting. (I am doing this solely for instructional purposes).
    5. If possible, defeat China and Russia, as the real life Japanese did. (Should be no sweat, right? ... Right?!)

This will be entirely gameplay. There may be comedy, but no narrative.

I will begin this properly next weekend; maybe sooner. If you're a fan of my other AARs, don't fret, I will keep updating them as often as I can.

If you have specific questions or areas of concern, don't hesitate to ask!

Wall of Fame, or people who helped me overcome my own foolishness

calvinhobbeslik: For reminding me that AHD changes NF calculations; also, providing direct counterexamples to times that sphere masters haven't answered calls.
    Omega124, Last_Revanant, Sirce: Making me find out exactly how Establish Protectorate works.
    Alkane: Correcting some typos in the diplomacy section.
    Stiefler: For getting things rolling in the "sphere masters always honor alliances with spherelings" direction.
    Selzro: Reminding me that educational efficiency is affected by your education slider.
    Omega124: Helping me fix Anarcho-Liberals and reform -- stupid Anarchists.
    nanomagnetic: For explaining the mysteries of Educational Efficiency.
    Vrael_1492: For helping me fix Italy and helping me (eventually) beat China.
    Last edited by Avindian; 08-10-2012 at 01:26.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q2 ACAs here! Crusader Kings II|Europa Universalis IV|Victoria II|Hearts of Iron 3|Darkest Hour

Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations

Last edited by Avindian; 11-11-2012 at 23:04.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta500k club
    EUIV: Call to arms event

As the Resident Japanese Nationalist. I approve. ^J^
    NK Foreign Minister Comrade Anastasia Ivanovna Petrova in Avindian's Soviet Union Interactive AAR.
    Otto von Bismarck, Stadtholder of Leipzig, Reichskanzler, Party Leader of the New Society in Avindian's Sonderweg oder Anderweg Interactive AAR.
    Unable to start or complete any of his AAR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura_F View Post
    As the Resident Japanese Nationalist. I approve. ^J^
    I'm glad I have your support
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q2 ACAs here! Crusader Kings II|Europa Universalis IV|Victoria II|Hearts of Iron 3|Darkest Hour

Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessV2 Beta500k club
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
    I'm glad I have your support
    Hawaii is a required conquest. And at least you aren't playing Pop Demand Mod, where Japan is fractured into the shogunate still... That's a bitch to unite. ._.

But at least in PDM, there's a land-connection between Japan and Korea, so I can watch my 80+k troops thanks to vassals cross over into Korea and beat them to death

Warning, sometimes the US likes to add you to their sphere through war means, so become a GP quickly. :P
    Last edited by Sakura_F; 19-08-2012 at 06:30.
    NK Foreign Minister Comrade Anastasia Ivanovna Petrova in Avindian's Soviet Union Interactive AAR.
    Otto von Bismarck, Stadtholder of Leipzig, Reichskanzler, Party Leader of the New Society in Avindian's Sonderweg oder Anderweg Interactive AAR.
    Unable to start or complete any of his AAR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura_F View Post
    Hawaii is a required conquest. And at least you aren't playing Pop Demand Mod, where Japan is fractured into the shogunate still... That's a bitch to unite. ._.

But at least in PDM, there's a land-connection between Japan and Korea, so I can watch my 80+k troops thanks to vassals cross over into Korea and beat them to death

Warning, sometimes the US likes to add you to their sphere through war means, so become a GP quickly. :P
    Useful tips all!

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

well I really appreciated Syni Kyiva as a learning tool, so will follow this one with equal interest

Quote Originally Posted by loki100 View Post
    well I really appreciated Syni Kyiva as a learning tool, so will follow this one with equal interest
    Glad it was helpful! I hope this one is equally so.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

let's see how this one goes !
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

wow youve got 3 AAR's going on now, i think i will follow this as i follow your other AAR's good luck

Modern Psycho-General CivandEUIII's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Not owning AHD, there's little value in the AAR for me, but since Syni Kyiva and all your other AARs are so good, I'll be following.

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "I pity the fool who has to fill out 272 years of Indian history." - Cuthuthulu
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    V2 Beta500k club

Will definitely be following this.
    Self-proclaimed German Wehrmacht expert and Russian general extraordinaire
    Airpower? Who needs it when my army can beat your army to a pulp!

I've always had issues with westernizing uncivs in AHD (my armies always seem to become reactionary rebels), so it will be good to see how someone else will handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by sprites View Post
    let's see how this one goes !
    Quote Originally Posted by spiller68 View Post
    wow youve got 3 AAR's going on now, i think i will follow this as i follow your other AAR's good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by CivandEUIII View Post
    Not owning AHD, there's little value in the AAR for me, but since Syni Kyiva and all your other AARs are so good, I'll be following.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Wilding View Post
    Will definitely be following this.
    Glad to have so many devoted fans! And CivandEUIII, you should totally get AHD.

Quote Originally Posted by Last_Revanant View Post
    I've always had issues with westernizing uncivs in AHD (my armies always seem to become reactionary rebels), so it will be good to see how someone else will handle it.
    I may not be any better; all of my AHD games so far have been as civilized nations. I shall do my utmost!

I'm following your other AAR's so I need to add this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    I'm following your other AAR's so I need to add this one as well.
    You are one of my more devoted fans, so I'm glad to have you along.

After I update NRI, I'll crank out the introductory post for this AAR. While you wait, I'd like to ask how detailed you'd like that post to be. In other words, is my audience familiar with Vicky 2 or completely new to the series?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    V2 Beta500k club

While there's some readers who are probably familiar with the series, I think for the sake of the newbies (those who see the "tutorial" part of this) it'd be beneficial to give us a newbie overview anyway.
    Self-proclaimed German Wehrmacht expert and Russian general extraordinaire
    Airpower? Who needs it when my army can beat your army to a pulp!

Prince Regent of Yugoslavia NikoHoI3's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

I'll be following this AAR, it'll be very beneficial to me and a fun AAR to read.
    'Defeat? I do not recognise the meaning of the word.'
    - Margret Thatcher

Valentin-Alexandre Klinkenberg, Founder and Owner of Belgian Africa Rubber Inc., formerly Thibault Potiquet, in ThunderHawk3's Edge of Europe - A Belgian Interactive AAR

Modern Psycho-General CivandEUIII's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

And CivandEUIII, you should totally get AHD.
    Don't pressure me into any decisions

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "I pity the fool who has to fill out 272 years of Indian history." - Cuthuthulu
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

5. If possible, defeat China and Russia, as the real life Japanese did. (Should be no sweat, right? ... Right?!)
    No sweat on forehead

Looking forward to this one! Been following all your AARs lately and all of them are very good, and I hope this one will be good as well
    Comrade Vladimir Mehmetovich Sakharov, NK Finance, in Avindian's Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo (Interactive TFH 4.02)

The Earth is the Cradle of the Mind -- but one cannot eternally live in a cradle." - Konstantin E.Tsiolkovsky
    "Let others shoot; For here I leave my second leg, and the Forty-second Foot." - The Ballad of Faithless Nelly Gray by Thomas Hood

Please make this idea more known! I want it to get into the next Victoria 2 DLC! by Sakura_F. Copy this if you want this to be implemented

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast