+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Granting independence to vassals

Granting independence to vassals

This might have been asked and answered previously, if so my apologies.

Is there a mod/function/trick out there to grant vassals independence without forcing them to revolt first (and thus losing prestige, etc. by surrendering)? I inherited some duchies which are far away from my main lands, and rather than spend the time and effort keeping them in line I'd rather just grant them independence and make independent duchies out of them. A "Release from oath of allegiance"-function granting independence could be useful in this sense. Thanks!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Naval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If you give your vassals in far away lands a title that is of equal rank, they will become independent. Unfortunetly, it gets harder as your rank increases. But thre's no need for a mod to accomplish that

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    MagickaSemper FiWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    War of the Vikings

Totally agree with you. I am also sorely missing this option.

Quote Originally Posted by SweArdaia View Post
    If you give your vassals in far away lands a title that is of equal rank, they will become independent. Unfortunetly, it gets harder as your rank increases. But thre's no need for a mod to accomplish that
    True, but in this case I have only one kingdom-level title which I can't (and don't want to) give away. And even if I had two, giving one up just to get rid of those pesky far-away duchies is a bit overkill. Your proposal is good if you are playing as an independent county or duchy, when playing as a kingdom or empire it gets more difficult (or even impossible), as you said.

If available, you could find the unlanded heirs to duchy in a foreign realm, try to get them married to the rulers of your unwanted duchies, and then make sure they inherit the foreign duchies before the ones in your realm.

CK2+ mod has this functionality. I don't know how easy it is to just take that piece w/o the entire mod though.

Give land... away?

Are you mad?

I miss this functionality as well.

You can console command gift it to another ruler with give_title command. Other then editing savegame, you have no other real recourse.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    MagickaSemper FiWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    War of the Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    Give land... away?

Are you mad?
    If you somehow come by a barony/county/duchy on the other side of the world and don't want to constantly have to hassel with the huge distant penalty and constant revolt threat, then yes I want to give that land away.

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karensky View Post
    If you somehow come by a barony/county/duchy on the other side of the world and don't want to constantly have to hassel with the huge distant penalty and constant revolt threat, then yes I want to give that land away.
    such as if you're king of Norway and Sweden ... and suddenly you inherit a one-duchy Kingdom of Portugal. It's in your best interest to give it away (preferably to a co-dynasty)
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - RESUMED]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

CK2+ indeed has this option, which I have ported to The Prince and the Thane...the mod I use. I posted about this in the thread of The Prince and the Thane (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post14240248) in case ibid816 would be interested in using it as well, provided that Wiz permission.

It's quite simple and works really well. Hopefully vanilla will get this option as well though as it's both useful and releasing a vassal from his oath does not come over as something ahistorical.

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteImpireLead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlaguePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

One could argue, however, that you should still get a hit in your prestige. As your land decreases and you sort-of admit that you can't or won't defend these lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemberkoekje View Post
    One could argue, however, that you should still get a hit in your prestige. As your land decreases and you sort-of admit that you can't or won't defend these lands.
    Good point. I think, but am not sure, that this is incorporated in this feature in CK2+. Otherwise it would be simple to add it, as it would indeed imply what you say.

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

Ideally it wouldn't be a simple "grant independence" decision but some events where your distant vassals let their obligations "slide" (i.e. they don't remit taxes and appoint officials without consulting you) and you ignore it. Once the current title holder dies, his son doesn't bother to show up at your court to pledge his fealty (thus becoming independent). Or the other way around, your king dies and the distant vassal doesn't bother to come swear fealty to your heir.

You could again choose to do something about it, i.e. force him to swear fealty, or ignore this too (at a cost in prestige) and let them be gone.

Give the land to the pope or a holy order. Easy way to get rid of unwanted vassals.

Regent-Custodian of the Light riknap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bialaska View Post
    Give the land to the pope or a holy order. Easy way to get rid of unwanted vassals.
    you can't transfer vassalage to other independent realms IIRC. you can only give the pope and holy orders land that you personally hold at the time of clicking the diplomacy option
    LUX INVICTA! Rebuild the Empire of Megas Alexandros! Restore Roman Glory! Banish the Dark Ages!
    >>[Subsidiary Modules] [Frequent Questions] [Gameplay Guide] [Changelogs] [LUX INVICTA AETERNA]<<

Saeculum Obscurum: A Late Antiquity Mod, Fall of the Western Roman Empire and Rise of the Early Medieval Era. [beta state]
    LIBERT3 Primary Portal, for the Lux Invicta Buildings & Events, Retinues & Tactics, Traits & Technology Module. [INTEGRATED]
    Advanced Battles & Combat Depth Essentials. Planning portal for a comprehensive tactics overhaul project. [WIP - RESUMED]
    El Psy Congroo: Battle for world-line delta. A role-playing invasion modification. [WIP - EXP farming]

I myself don't mind a minor prestige hit, however the fact that letting a vassal revolt lowers CA is what propels me to keep them all in line, even the ones half a continent away.

+ Reply to Thread