• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alright let me start off by saying I'm no pro at this game. I enjoy it yes and am a huge history nerd so when I play I always envision a history for them. For the random spawns I think of them as revolts or uprisings, which brings me to my points. 1) These events can actually be quite annoying and there should be the OPTION to disable them. This all comes back to player choice, if you want to face a difficulty and have a history like I do then by all means have spawns enabled but for those who don't then let them play as they wish, it doesn't affect you in anyway. 2) Make these events make sense, given my previous statement on how I saw these a revolts/uprisings perhaps these spawns could be changed to have the mobs be the same race as your empire and still make them global by saying like a wave a revolts spreads across the world as a result of X 3) These spawns with are not tied to revolts could and should appear outside of your domain and could be scene as demonic invasions, which are programmed to seek out the nears Mage city and lay waste to it. Doesn't really change the gameplay, just adds an ingame reason for it. 4) I do like these spawns as they reinforce the need for a "home defense force" and can be kinda cool if properly handled, that said I have to go back to my point on player choice and say that this should be an option, if someone wants to have a horde to march across the world with it should be their choice to play like that and disable these spawns.

I happen to agree with those of you who think there should be an option to toggle it on or off. I also think, after a little experience under your belt, the game would become boring without it being turned ON. The AI isn't smart enough on its own to keep experienced players on the edge of their seats. But then, that's when you can turn the option back on, I guess. I get you.
I don't think you "get us". In fact, I think you only read a small minority of the posts in this thread...namely the less well-spoken ones.

There has been very little complaint about the capability of dealing with the threat, but much more about the simplistic and time-wasteful nature of the simple mechanic employed. If it were more game-mechanic-changing or even size dynamic (affecting both world size extremes), far fewer players would complain. I even mentioned Endless Space's "events" as an example of a creative and well-executed version of this mechanic.

It's not a matter of troop organization or strategy; it's that the "throw more monsters at the problem" approach that they took is too simplistic/predictable to solve the otherwise boring and repetitive endgame in a huge-world game, where you don't need the economic boost or minor (yet annoying) distractions.

I think it would be great if there were some sort of randomly spawning "monster/neutral invasions" that were somewhat coordinated (several units acting together towards some goal). And also neutral cities spawning units every now and then would be fun. If neutral cities had small armies trying to defend themselves or even attack us it would be way more fun.

Modjo

I know that the idea of monsters suddenly attacking you was probably to provide you with challenge, but I personally find it to be more annoying then fun.

I actually like it, but only because after killing the monsters I get the gold.

I really think this should be an optional feature that could turned "on" or "off" at the beginning of the game. It is something that could be enjoyable if prepared for it, or annoying if it doesn't vibe with your play-style. Even the size of the map you decide to play on could affect whether you'd like it enabled or not.

It would enhance the replay-value of the game to make it an option that could be turned on or off, or even set to "super crazy monster spawns all the time" setting. In Civilization you can set how frequently you want Barbarians to appear. I don't see why Warlock can't have options like that.

~ Raederle

I don't have any problems with monster spawns.

But there is WAY too much combat in this game.

The beauty of 4X games is the contrast between peace and war. If wars are continual and forever, fighting gets a bit tedious.

Plus the formal wars, that is, another Warlock declaring war in one's empire, are generally a total sitzkrieg.

Completely agree with OP.
Random spawns have some place in SOME types of playthroughs, but for most campaigns it is utter nonsense. You should be able to choose when you start the game, whether or not to include them.
And indeed, the problem is exacerbated when its dozens of ogres and other super-tough creatures.

100% RUINS the game in my opinion. CHANGE IT

Strongly disagree with OP and hope Paradox changes nothing. These random spawns are the only flavor event the game has to remind you you're in the dangerous, magical world of Ardania. If anything, I wish for more of these sorts of events (would gladly like to see stuff like volcanos erupting etc).

These events:

1) Are hugely beneficial to your empire due to the massive gold/mana loot

2) Are easily dealt with, a single tier 1 archer garrison for every 5-6 cities is enough to ward off these attackers combined with castle fire

I agree that it should be optional, though. This game desperately needs more game setup options, a poor choice having virtually none. As pointed out above, a 'raging barbarians' style mode as known from Civilization with constant monster attacks would also be fun once in a while for a change of pace (also a bit like Fallen Enchantress, where the world itself is really, really dangerous... love it).

Last edited:
I think the monsters should spawn in unclaimed territory (like Barbarians in Civilization games), not in the middle of your empire. But there should be also some limitations to expansion, so such unclaimed territory remains in the game for a longer time.

I would like that option. Sure random spawns are a nice surprise but an Ogre appearing right next to one of my cities out of thin air - not.
As long as they spawn in unclaimed hexes so that I have at least 1 turn of warning before I lose a city to them I´m fine.