+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forming Italy as a republic should not make me monarchy

Forming Italy as a republic should not make me monarchy

I just formed Italy as Venice and became a absolute kingdom
    IMHO it should stay a (grand merchant) republic when forming it as such.

Except that when you form Italy you are requesting the title of "Kingdom of Italy" so you can't exactly be a republic if you're a kingdom.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Italy is a cultural union isn't it? So it would make sense to be able to form a version of it without becoming a monarchy. Same for any of the cultural unions really.

As I've understood it it isn't a cultural union so much as it is forming the Kingdom of Italy. Claiming the Iron Crown of Lombardia essentially.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised in my Venice game when I enacted the decision. But when you think about it, it does make sense. You're forming the "Kingdom of Italy" - so you become a kingdom.

I just loaded a save and stayed Venice

Maybe the decision should not appear for non-monarchies then and/or there should be a different one for those.

Europa Universalis: Chronicles

Maybe there should be a initial decision, for non-monarchies to claim the Iron Throne of Lombardia, and only then the whole Italy.

And another decision for those that wish to remain in another government form, for the union of all italian.

I'm guessing that would work!

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by B1rm0n View Post
    for the union of all italian.
    That's a tough subject, there really wasn't an italian nationalist idea for quite some time, even when the Risorgimento came, you could argue it wasn't as popular as you would expect. When you talk about union at that time(1400-1800), you can talk about the re-establishment of Rome, which is a-historical, but to all citizens of the Italian peninsula it made some sense, since people kept referring to it. Specially after Byzantium fell. (It would be really odd though)
    Its better to just conquer everything and have all the cultures accepted, its more real and true. The kingdom of Italy, is a NORTHERN European creation, heritage of Charlemagne's time, it has nothing culturally 'Italian' to it.
    The fact that the modern country is called Italy is just a bad joke history played on us all, due to it being formed by a half-northern monarchy. But the locals never before such times called their land, as one, "Italy".

Cheers

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by B1rm0n View Post
    Maybe there should be a initial decision, for non-monarchies to claim the Iron Throne of Lombardia, and only then the whole Italy.
    Like in my mod-mod where you ask the HREmperor for the Iron Crown which gives you a modifier and all the things that used to go to the Italian Nation decisions apart from changing to Italy. With a decision for a country that has the Iron Crown modifier to later tag change into Italy. This could be modified perhaps so that the initial decision to get the Iron Crown does not change your government type, but the Italian decision would them change to a monarchy. Or have the option to become ITA only for monarchies who have the Iron Crown modifier.

It seems almost like having the nation "Italy" being able to be formed before some point in the eighteenth century, it doesn't make much sense given how the cultural and views of the area were at the time. What did they call the territory that is modern day Northern Italy during the early fifteenth century?

Lombardy I suppose.

Maybe Italy should be both Lombardy and Sicily?

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Should we have two kingdoms of Italy then ? The current one is indeed the medieval Regnum Italiae. By definition, it's a kingdom, and its area is northern Italy.

Given that Lombardy refers too much to the region around Milan... so much, that the Austrian possessions after the Congress of Vienna was called "Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia", that i'm not keen on calling that the unification of the northern half of the peninsula "Lombardy".

Possibly i could need a more proper flag than "il Tricolore"... but i currently have no source.

Now, if it's so important, we could have a second Italian tag. It would require the dismantlement of the HRE or that the Emperor relinquishes the Iron Crown.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

What about how I suggested and have the request not actually change the tag over. So it's like the country is asking the Emperor to give back the cultural heritage that is the Iron Crown. This doesn't mean they are claiming the crown as a monarchy however. Just that the HREmperor is recognizing their claim to the region. Maybe the country is just putting the crown in a museum . Then if the country wishes later they can change to a monarchy led Italy. Taking the crown out of the museum and bestowing it on the monarch!

+ Reply to Thread