• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Name: Colonel William Frederick Cunningham-Baker
Party:Southern Democrats
State: Tennessee
Bio: Born in 1807 to Southern plantation owners, William was surrounded by a pro-slavery and neo-conservative family who put their beliefs on him, and he firmly adopted them. He was spoiled as a child being the only boy of the family, he received a good education at a local school in the town of Kingsport. In 1825, aged 18, he enlisted in West Point, with support and funds of his father, who had made good connections throughout his life. By 1831, now at the age of 24, through hard work and discipline, William had achieved the rank of Captain and continued to impress his superiors. By 1843, William had achieved the rank of Major and was in the opinion that he had hit his career highlight, but 3 years later, the Mexican-American War began and William was thrust into command and a real war. William skillfully managed supply and communication routes with his above average skill in administration, he also managed to get involved in a few battles, notably the Battle of Chapultepec. At the close of the war, he was promoted to the rank of Colonel and received a stationing at the War Office in DC. In 1850 he returned home to Tennessee and began a political career while still enlisted, by 1853, he had managed to get himself elected to the House of Representatives, a position he has maintained since. He wonders what the future holds for him...

Name: Preston King
State: New York
Party: Republican (radical)
Date of Birth: October 14, 1806
Bio: Elected from young to the NY state Assembly, with time he drifted away from the Democrats and was one of the members of the ill-fated Free-Soil party and later one of the founders of the Republicans. Well-intentioned, not necessarily well-mannered; experienced politician, affable, shrewd, honest and a veteran free-soiler.

These are dark times... I cannot believe that the election of one man, a man no less said he would not abolish slavery, and a man who could not abolish slavery, has led to the dissolution of our great Union...

Concerning the secession of the South from these United States, I can only say this; I holpe fervently that this will not lead to war, and that our two nations can work together with the hope that one day we will be reunited.

Concerning the possibility of Virginian secession, I have bit more to say... I will not dispute the legality of secession, as our nation was built on a voluntary agreement, and that should a state, or a collective of states, feel that it is better to go their own course as free and sovereign nations, the United States have no right to force them back into the Union. That said, I, at this current juncture, oppose secession from the Union. President Lincoln has said nothing about ending slavery, and has not even entered office yet! Let us give him time, a chance, to prove himself to our state, and to the rest of the Union, before we go about seceding.

Of one last note, I say this; I am a Virginian by birth, and a Virginian at heart; whatever course Virginia chooses, secession or otherwise, I will respect the wishes of the people, and will follow my state to the best of my ability.

I pray we can avoid war still...

Name: Robert Murphy
State: Massachusetts
Born: February 18, 1823.
Party: Radical Republican.
Bio: Son of Irish immigrants, took interest in Politics in his 20s and strived to become a politician, favouring the Radical branch of the Republican Party, he was recently elected into the House of Representatives and favours the standard Radical Republican views. He now watches closely as America falls in chaos due to the Southern State seceding.

For too long have the people of the south suffered under the oppression of the North. Now our time has come, South Carolina has shown the way to freedom. I ask now Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, and Missouri to secede from the corrupt and decadent union and join the Confederacy in our glorious revolution against the union!

~ President Jefferson Davis of the Confederate States of America

Name: Peter C. Macbeth
Party: Southern Democrat
Position: Mayor of Charleston, SC
Born: April 9th, 1826
Bio: Born in a grand mansion South of Broad, Peter was very well educated going to the best schools in Charleston and graduating from the College of Charleston in 1850 with a degree in Political Science and Religion. He started his political campaign by being the main advocate of State Rights around South Carolina. In 1858 helping with the fact that his parents were major Charlestonian socialites, Peter C. Macbeth won his bid for mayor of the beloved city of Charleston. Now that South Carolina has officially succeed from the USA, Mr. Macbeth is working feverishly to get other politicians to join South Carolina.

Last edited:
Name: Winston C Saunders
Date of Birth: April 9th, 1826
Place of Birth: Sacramento, CA
Party: Republican (Moderate)
Bio: Winston Clarence Saunders was a product of the Gold Rush of the preceding years; he was well educated and a social climber, thanks to the money his fathers mines had raked in. He inherited the company on his fathers death, but, after initial success, sold the mine to pursue a career in law (fortunately for him, as the deposits ran out the following year). He was a successful barrister and, having lobbied for Californian statehood, was the obvious choice to represent the fledgling state in congress.

Name: Carter Manic
Party: Republican Radical
Position: Mayor of New York City
Born: November 18, 1818
Bio: Born to poor a family in the Five Points, a slum in lower Manhattan, Carter escaped the poverty of his home by joining the military and gaining distinction in the first Mexican American war, and a position as colonel during the second. Retiring from the army he took his money granted to him by the government and returned home to try to improve the lot of the homeless and impoverished in the city, using his money and fame from the war he went into politics becoming a selectman and deciding to run for mayor in 56 despite his age and lack of social status he quickly became a serious candidate do to his love from the less well off side of town and managed to get into a debate with his democratic opponent "Erwin Lougherman" including the famous "Freedom" debate where his opponent said his ideas for implementing a minimum wage and safety restrictions in the workforce was a danger to economic freedom where he kept onto of his podium and shouted to his opponent "FREEDOM! You would question my love of freedom, I served this country, fought two wars and returned to my home seeing it in worse shape than ever. What of the freedom of the every man sir? The freedom from hunger and fear, the freedom to know that there will be food on the table that night, or the next? This election sir is not just an election to the position in the government, it is the election of the haves and the have-nots. The haves bemoaning asking such a simple thing as making sure a man works in a safe environment each morning as anti-freedom. The have nots just want the freedom to live.... he won the election resoundingly and put forth many powerful reforms, always at odds with the democrat controlled legislature but receiving broad popular support from the public. Now that the nation stands at the edge of war he is considering resigning his post and once again picking up a gun to serve his country, only time will tell what he chooses.
((this work?))

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense, man.

((Oh, yes it does. It expedites the game a bit, in that now Fry will only have to take our votes into account, and not have to worry about the Senate voting it down (though, if he wanted to, it'd be done). But really, just having a unicameral system makes games like these easier to run))

It is sad to see that the radicals on both sides seem to be gaining power, at the expense of the cooler heads in the middle... I fear this will only bring us closer to war.

((Oh, yes it does. It expedites the game a bit, in that now Fry will only have to take our votes into account, and not have to worry about the Senate voting it down (though, if he wanted to, it'd be done). But really, just having a unicameral system makes games like these easier to run))

It is sad to see that the radicals on both sides seem to be gaining power, at the expense of the cooler heads in the middle... I fear this will only bring us closer to war.
((So is it an NPC, controlled by Fry or do we live in some bizarro alternate universe where The senate doesn't exsist.

((It is the latter; for some reason, the Founding Fathers decided it was better not to have a Senate, so here we are! Unless of course Fry chooses to change it))

Charleston Courier
April 27th, 1861

Our beloved Mayor Macbeth, has been working day in and day out to try and convince other Southern states' to succeed with our brave state of South Carolina. Any Southerner who has pride in who they are and what they believe should join us in a fight against tyrants! We must bind together in unity as a proud culture, that does not give in and will fight to there dying breath! Send them back your fierce defiance, because our people are nothing like theirs. If you are a a Southerner of sound state and mind our city, our state urges you to join us on a path of liberty!

Last edited:
((If its open, can I play General Beauregard? And if someone is kind enough to explain the whole coldfront thing to me, since I can't seem to figure it out?))