• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope its a ERE and HRE dlc :)

EDIT: Let's not make this into a debate.

So why did you start one? Also, it is Thor's HAMMER. Also, people are refering to the Baltic pagans since norse pagans had pretty much faded out by 1066.

Moving the timeline back 100 years will not happen since it would mean the Crusading Europe the game portrays would not exist. Iberian christians would never make it to 1066 for just one example.

I think you are right. And playing with Baltic Pagans would be fun as hell.

But DLCs are supposed to extend the game, right? I see no harm in extending the game 100 years backwards, starting in say 966 with the HRE just (re-)born and Basilios II nominally on the Byzantine throne, it would make no harm. It's just about extending a little more the preparation period before the Crusades, and the 1066 start would still be available for others. In addition, there would be the last songs of the Norse bards up there in the north for us to play.

More than that, my issue is that 100 years before 1066 the Muslim states are larger and more powerful, one would need a balancing solution otherwise. That's also why 100 years and no more than that, no Charlemagne or even Dark Ages as the Muslims would be too powerful in comparison, the focus on Crusades would be lost and the main campaign would be too long.

P.S. I don't see why you don't want a debate on this. You started the issue, it would be like wanting to have the last word on it at all costs.

The main thing is that PI would have to make a bunch of new research in addition to the pagans. Every county, duchy and Kingdom needs to have a titleholder and many new characters and dynasties would have to be created. And as you mentioned, the balance issues, not only with the Muslims, but HRE, and other christians, conquering Denmark, Norway and Sweden in 20 years because they're pagans. I honestly don't think PI consider it worth the effort. If they do, great, some will get their wish fulfilled.

I'm personally hoping for some Orthodox (ERE) love. Playing as an Orthodox is kinda bland, since you lack anything special to your religion. Catholics got all the same features as Orthodoxy, oh and of course popes, anti-popes, holy orders and crusades. Also ERE might need an overhaul, since it is getting ripped to pieces by the Muslims before 1100 in half the games I am in.
And in the other half they become a blob? sounds ok to me. It used to be 100% of the times they became a blob

This. I think it's about time they make republics playable.
The Orthodox seem like a higher priority to me. There are only a few republics that are county level or above after all: Venice, Genoa, Pisa, Novgorod, one Irish county.
Meanwhile, you've got the entire Byzantine Empire as Orthodox, as well as Georgia, Alania, and Russia.

If they really want to flesh out the Byzantine empire, so that you can go and have all those conspiracies / plots / palace revolts / coups / orgies of violence that Byzantine history had, then this would in itself bring so many changes to the base game that it would be very well worth a DLC/expansion of its own. Just think about all the affected areas:

- expanded plot mechanics
- game mechanics for centralized, bureaucratic empires (examples: having courtiers who don't hold land play a larger role by letting you pick them as generals, giving them jobs and so on. Eunuchs as a group of people who are totally detached from the feudal/land holding group of people. Maybe even factions.)
- proper representation of the Varangian Guard (and by extension, any non-landed, non-mercenary, non-holy order fighting force sworn to a specific title or person)
- palace revolt mechanics (where one group of people can overthrow an emperor, without a civil war. Where you can "sniff out" such things beforehand and order massacres of all your opponents, not just the plot leader. where the varangian guard can play a role.)
- Treason during battle

If they give Byzantium and all the affected game aspetct a really deep overhaul, this would also affect Crusade mechanics:
- having leaders for Crusades
- interaction between a crusade's partitipants
- proper division of the crusade target kingdom
- crusades that can switch targets, or even go "off target" and be directed against the personal enemies of some leading crusade participants (1204!)

Or the naval shipping concept:
- mercenary shipping groups
- pirates
- dare I mention it: NAVAL COMBAT???

In all likelihood it won't be so ambitious as to encompass all of that. But even if they do "just" a few it could prove to be much more than just something that affects BYZ players.

Hell, it would already be enough for an expansion of its own if they do just naval combat, pirates and fleets-for-rent.

There are fleets-for-rent already, but I agree, DLC with all other features Leviathan mentioned is very welcome. But orthodox overhaul is needed even more, playing as one is a dull experience and not really historical.

The main thing is that PI would have to make a bunch of new research in addition to the pagans. Every county, duchy and Kingdom needs to have a titleholder and many new characters and dynasties would have to be created. And as you mentioned, the balance issues, not only with the Muslims, but HRE, and other christians, conquering Denmark, Norway and Sweden in 20 years because they're pagans. I honestly don't think PI consider it worth the effort. If they do, great, some will get their wish fulfilled.
Naaaa attaching people to titles for 100 years is not going to be a big deal. It's something I could do within one week fulltime at least for Europe. Hire a couple of people dealing with muslims as well as the Pagan East and you're done.

The issues are rebalancing with powerful muslims and keep the focus on crusades.

The Orthodox seem like a higher priority to me. There are only a few republics that are county level or above after all: Venice, Genoa, Pisa, Novgorod, one Irish county.
Meanwhile, you've got the entire Byzantine Empire as Orthodox, as well as Georgia, Alania, and Russia.
Agreed. I was mainly agreeing to the fact that they should at least consider making a Republics DLC. On the other hand, Orthodox/ERE deserves a full expansion---maybe even a standalone expansion, if it's not going too far.

Agreed. I was mainly agreeing to the fact that they should at least consider making a Republics DLC. On the other hand, Orthodox/ERE deserves a full expansion---maybe even a standalone expansion, if it's not going too far.
They've said that Crusader Kings II will not have any expansions, so that's not going to happen.
They're almost certainly going to make a Republic DLC eventually. The only real question is when.

Status
Not open for further replies.