+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pdm?

pdm?

I hear alot of people talk about this...can someone explain what it is...what it does...and how do i get it???
    thanks so much
    slo

It's a mod that makes the game a bit more complex, accurate, deep and balanced. You can find it here.
    俺はMEIOUずきだ。

thanks for the reply...is there any info on what exactly it changes or does? I looked at the forum and I did not see an overview anywhere...maybe I missed it...
    thanks again

Benevolent Imperialist flame7926's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by airslo View Post
    thanks for the reply...is there any info on what exactly it changes or does? I looked at the forum and I did not see an overview anywhere...maybe I missed it...
    thanks again
    Look at the sticky called FAQ and PDM Wiki
    Come see my AAR: Scandinavia: 1890-1936 w/ Great Wars : Dead
    Try my user tweak for PDM mod Victoria 2. Winter, gaining cores, and more.
    Victoria 2 Pop Utility, works with any version
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon
    Contact me by PM or at flame7926@gmail.com if you are interested in helping

thanks so much..

It looks like a very ambitious project.

Not to bore anybody who already knows, but someone care to give some candid pros/cons?

EU3 CompleteDivine WindVictoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries
    It does balance the economy, or at least it seems to. I don't notice the difference myself, and the excess goods screw up the interface in a lot of places.

Personally I'm not a fan of the changes to tech and the military, though.
    Everything is fired off my inventions rather than tech for no apparent reason - for example, having researched a railroad check you have to wait for a "railroad" invention to trigger that actually allows you to build the damn things. There doesn't seem to be a reason why.
    The military techs are completely different, and seem to largely eliminate the differences between tech levels. Not sure why this is.

One good thing I will say is it concentrates soldier pops into a single province, which makes building/maintaining armies a damn lot easier. It still has the same problem as vanilla though, i.e. a lot of nations start off with armies that the POPs can't maintain.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

It completely rebalances the economy and adds tons of new goods. Hundreds, if not thousands of new events and decisions. Much more flavor and historical plausibility. The tech is way more balanced, it does inventions like that because otherwise it is very hard to control what types of countries research different things.
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah the events...like France having a Napoleonic coup when it's swarming in Jacobin rebels.
    There is no need for the tech inventions at all. It's the point where PDM stops cleaning up the game and becomes yet another unplayable fan-made mod.

500k club

Quote Originally Posted by JoeIsGreat View Post
    Oh yeah the events...like France having a Napoleonic coup when it's swarming in Jacobin rebels.
    There is no need for the tech inventions at all. It's the point where PDM stops cleaning up the game and becomes yet another unplayable fan-made mod.
    France did have a Napoleonic coup after Jacobins. I don't see the problem with it. Napoleon would be a symbol of stability while the country is being rampaged by radical liberals. The tech inventions are absolutely necessary if you have ever tried to balance tech, or try to weigh the ai research. Which I doubt you have. Mods shouldn't just clean up the game, they should add as much content as they can.

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

PDM is an awesome mod, the only gripe I have with it is that the game runs slower for me than vanilia but oh well.
    Meh

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flame7926 View Post
    Mods shouldn't just clean up the game, they should add as much content as they can.
    This speaks volumes.

500k club

This speaks volumes.
    As long as it improves the gaming experience. Makes it more plausible, enjoyable, and gives the player more plausible options, as well as doing cool things with the world around him.

Blog Entries
    Well I guess I oppose plausibility, enjoyability and giving the player options then.

There's a reason paradox doesn't cram as many features as it can into games. System lag is just one of them.
    Oh how I miss VIP.

500k club

Well I guess I oppose plausibility, enjoyability and giving the player options then.

There's a reason paradox doesn't cram as many features as it can into games. System lag is just one of them.
    Oh how I miss VIP.
    I guess you do. Quite strange, if I do say so myself, though.

You know that the VIP people offered PDM to use the name VIP2, so they at least must have thought it a worthy successor. Paradox doesn't because then the games would come out as buggy as HOI3, and so they can spend time on hard coded stuff. Mods have unlimited time to bug fix and tweak, all the time listening to input, or else people don't post and play.

JoeIsGreat it is easy to be a critic... If you are unhappy with PDM perhaps you should make your own mod which is 'better'?

To everyone else: for the record PDM is much more playable than vanilla.
    People have forgotten what the word rebellion means. It is not difficult to be selfish and uncaring within a selfish and uncaring world... The man who cares for no-one except himself is a slave and not a rebel. It takes a true rebel to rise above the darker side of human nature and to sacrifice the self for the other. There is no greater rebellion than the sacrifice of the self for the good of others.

There is no need for the tech inventions at all.
    This speaks volumes too. Mostly about how you have very little idea what you're talking about.

There is a need for the inventions, otherwise they wouldn't be in... It helps to spread out demand more evenly, so that you don't have 16 countries all develop railroads on the same day and then crash the market by building 150 of them each.

And yes, the VIP team have stated that they regard PDM as VIP's spiritual successor.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The two actual problems with PDM are:
    1) The extra goods mess up the interface in places
    2) It tends to make the game play a bit slower than vanilla.

I honestly can't think of anything else. With a more balanced economy, new events and decisions, general balancing of everything, improved military and naval system, and new goods, the benefits of PDM far outweigh it’s problems.
    "You can make an omelet without breaking any eggs; it's just a really bad omelet"
    ~ Stephen Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by airpirate View Post
    The two actual problems with PDM are:
    2) It tends to make the game play a bit slower than vanilla.
    First one is minor, but this is beyond trivial.
    If it were to become as slow as pre-AHD V2 was, then it would be too crammed.
    Lack of speed = less accessibility, ultimately lower popularity.

PDM is an important experiment that proves the true value of underlying mechanisms.
    I appreciate the pop & economic simulation of V2 much much more due to Naselus & co.'s hard work.
    Now I understand better how much delicate balancing it has required.

Close the worLd,.txEn eht nepO GAGA Extrem's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

PDM is indeed much slower than vanilla. But apart from that, there is really nothing to complain about from my side. =)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast