• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
5th, move to W-15. We're going to support 2nd and 3rd at the sight of smoke at a distance.

6 keep moving east.

Update

Bravo continued to advance, but no signs of the remaining enemy units could be found.

3rd Platoon headed slowly northeast, until it arrived at the site where the smog was reported from. There was an improvised camp with three narrow huts and the entrance to a tunnel. Lieutenant bakerydog split his Platoon in order to search the camp and the tunnels simultaneously. In one hut, Corporal Stevens found two deadly injured Viet Cong that had been left behind by their comrades.

Sergeant Dewitt examined the Tunnel system, that was not very sophisticated and ended in a considerably large room, that was probably the command center for the region. It had been abandoned in a rush with a lot of documents burned. But there was a small box with documents left. When he wanted to grab it, Dewitt noticed a few wires. It took some time to disarm the trap. But then he could secure the documents.

"Bravo, this is Captain Stuckenschmidt. Good job, especially the salvage of enemy data. Secure the area, destroy all remaining enemy material and then return to the landing zones for evacuation. This mission is over. See you at debriefing."

Debriefing

Gentlemen,

the last mission was another success. Battalion reports 55 killed enemies. 40 of them will be added to our score, 15 to the artillery. The two dead Viet Cong found at their camp are not included. Additionally we made 6 prisoners and secured valuable enemy data.

But, on the other hand, we had 9 dead and 15 wounded ourselves and we will receive only one replacement each for 2nd and 5th Platoon. Talking about it. Lieutenant Gradiant, as I already said I acknowledge the will to fight. But this is not the USMC storming the beaches of Okinawa with bayonet fixed. This kind of melee should be reduced to a minimum and be considered an ultima ratio, if all other measures fail.

Apart from that good work. Battalion says, that some enemies escaped eastward. But that is fine, there will be more opportunities to fight them later on. For now get some rest, for I don`t think we will be commissioned for the next mission anytime soon.

Captain Stuckenschmidt
CO B-Company

(OOC: I am sorry, but I have to put this game on hold during the next weeks, for I feel a small GM outburn at the moment, so I would prefer to make a break.)

Victory. Tea. Biscuits. Cake.

Don't worry, you deserve a break, take as long as you need.

I'm back.

Good to see the GM taking a break in my absence though. :)

Can I take Gradiant's place?

During the recent months I have thought about reviving this, but to be perfectly frank, I was not too pleased with the tactical level of it. Plus I liked the idea to take the scenario to a higher level.

So here is the idea. The players are not commanding Platoons within a Company, but Battalions (or, if there are only few players: Brigades) within a Division. The scenario would be to regain control of northern South Vietnam after the Tet Offensive. While the players control the Combat Units (mostly Infantry, some Tanks), the GM controls the Division and the support troops (Artillery, Helicopter, Air Force). Although the role of the Division Commander may also be held by a player, but that`s something to decide later.

This more strategic approach would have the positive effect, that the players would decide where to fight in order to remove VC/NVA forces instead of being thrown into small missions.

NOTE: If there is interest, it won`t start tomorrow or even next month. this is something for autumn. If you feel like commanding a Battalion in October, please say so.

Might give it a go, have to see what else is on my plate then.

Ditto.

I'd be up for it, its kinda like RECON but with more NPCs :p

I would like the idea of reviving it the idea of Vietnam Wargame is awesome.

Definitely interested. I would participate :)

Probably sometime in August I`ll make a few posts to introduce the new game concept and then we`ll see.