Europa Universalis IV Screenshots Megathread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Instead of two provinces on Greenland and two on Iceland, there should only be one that consists of the whole island. Instead you could have two moore provinces in southern scandinavia.

Bornholm and Blekinge should be cut out of Skåne province and made seperate provinces. Göteborg should also be cut from Västergötaland and made a seperate province, this would add a larger battleground for the many Dano-Swedish wars. As the map is now, Bornholm simply becomes Swedish once Sweden take Skåne. But that is historically incorrect.

Agree 100% with you. I always missed Blekinge as a seperate province in the standard EU game and the problem with the Danish Island of Bornholm becoming Swedish if it takes Skåne is irritating as its unhistorical.

Bornholm island (+ the small Ertholmene islands nearby) is the 5th larges island in Denmark, strategly placed in the Baltic Sea and important for Denmark, as seen in several things, such as having the largest medieval Castle in north europe there. Bornholm wаs even pawned tо Lübeck fоr 50 years in 1525 (they wanted to keep it longer but Denmark refused). The Danish King had a Naval Base and fortifications build to keep Sweden in check who tried several times to invade the island. Also in WW2, Germany used and expanded the naval base, adding 20k troops to guard it. Later Russia took it from the Germans who wanted to surrender to the Allies, resulting in Russia bombing the 2 main cities destroying over 900 civilian houses and damaging 3000 others, ouch...

With the new trade system in EU4, Bornholm's justification as a province is even higher then previous EU games.

Last edited:
You love Paradox but you refuse to pay for their games (or play them, either way) because you don't agree with the name of a few provinces (which is extremely easy to mod, hell you can even do it in-game).

That sounds extremely sensible.
1- He didn't buy CK2. Not all their games.
2- Mods should not exist to made a historical game... historical. In any case, not at this point. What would you do if London was set is the Wales?

1- He didn't buy CK2. Not all their games.
2- Mods should not exist to made a historical game... historical. In any case, not at this point. What would you do if London was set is the Wales?
Glaring mistakes like that would be funny, yet immersion-breaking. Playing somewhere far away from England might be a solution, your own home region will never ever be represented to your satisfaction, anyhow, and some important historical events just cannot happen properly, so what? The mistake the origial poster moaned about (Hungarian provinces and positions) could've been avoided.. but also modded away. Province borders changed over the course of the game's timeline, but can not really do it ingame. Also, scaling effects distort the positioning quite a bit (central Germany in EU3 is a mess, too. e.g. the Frankfurt province not containing the actual city, Mainz being there instead, itself moved far beyond the Rhine..) The screenshots show Alexandria far inland, which is odd, too.. Not buying a game because of minor errors is silly.

2. Laugh, and keep on playing?
Heh, just reminded me of The Patrician I where the city of London had a background which is the castle in my hometown, Güstrow :blink: .. Laughed, played on.

Please more regions! I don't want to be able to annex Hungary in two wars! Or denmark in one war like in EU III when playing as Sweden...

But Sweden conquered Denmark in a month in the Great Northern War. There's no way you can replicate that in the game since troops move so slow.

But Sweden conquered Denmark in a month in the Great Northern War. There's no way you can replicate that in the game since troops move so slow.
Denmark actually rejoined the war and participated until the Swedish defeat in 1709 where Denmark gained several things like full control over Slesvig and Sweden forfeited it's right to duty-free passage of Øresund.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as literal artificial intelligence in nearly all games even today. They mostly respond to context-sensitive triggers; they don't learn on their own, or make their own decisions.

So? How's that called cheating? They still play by the same rules as the player does, or at least should be. Also there's a thing called probability which helps on trying to simulate AI making their own decisions, their decisions are often based on "dice rolls" like every person thinks differently which is good enough.

Looks very nice but I hate that the sprites use bayonets for early 17th century wheellocks. Bayonets weren't in widespread use until late 17th-early 18th century and one would wish that a historical game on its 4th version would get its facts straight. This is as historically incorrect as equipping napoleonic troops with machine guns if not worse to give an example non history buffs can understand.

Looks very nice but I hate that the sprites use bayonets for early 17th century wheellocks. Bayonets weren't in widespread use until late 17th-early 18th century and one would wish that a historical game on its 4th version would get its facts straight. This is as historically incorrect as equipping napoleonic troops with machine guns if not worse to give an example non history buffs can understand.

That unit was changed months ago so no worry. Our artists aren't neccessarily experts on every historical detail.

i kind of dislike how the province names can be really messy and uneven and go up and down and left and right with all the terrain...
but still I like a lot about the new graphics which are ck2 like but dont like that text

Will there be many animated moving objects on the map. we have seagulls, dynamic seasons, land and sea convoys for trade routes etc so anything else planned?

The screenshots do look lovely, but I would like to point out that almost everything can be modded, so I would like extra focus on adding in game mechanics. A few pointers, the colours for the political map mode are a bit too bright. I would prefer it if they were more translucent, and less taxing on the eyes. I would also like to ask is there are province limit, as at the current stage there are too few provinces, for my liking, and was wondering if mods could add many more, or only a few more. Cheers!