+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Some more info at Destructoid

Once your nation becomes very powerful, which can often happen quite early on, there isn't much else to do other than win the game.
    I'm really glad that the EU4 team is taking this attitude. I end up blobbing all over the world in every recent PI game except for V2 because there really isn't anything to do in the other games other than conquer and prepare to conquer in games like EU3 or CK2. I really hope EU4 has domestic game play which is just as deeply developed as the warfare mechanics. Players are less inclined to conquer the earth when they have other things to occupy their attention, I think.

The game's time period was also the time when (in Europe at least) there was a massive expansion of the bureaucratic management of governments and a corresponding increase in the ability of government to impact itself on their countries. Will this be reflected in the character point system by having them increasingly be assisted by his bureaucracy lessening his personal impact but increasing the players overall ability to change things in their own countries?

Something like that would also very accurately model Europe's rise during this time.

First time for me to respond in this forum so let me add how excited I am about EU4 announcement. I can't believe I have to wait a year for this. At least this gives me time to get a new computer as CK2 has a hard time running on my current one.

This is going to be soooo great! I really like that you will have such a long development time, this will a seriously well-developed game.

Crusader Kings IIImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneV2 BetaHoi 2 Beta
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDub View Post
    I am now officially worried about the Monarch Powers system. Right now it seems as if you should pray to the RNG gods in advance for this game, unless it's not actually as important as I fear it is. Do the MIL/DIP/ADM points accumulate? I hope this gets explained better in the near future.
    Let me hazard the guess that it will be possible for the player to guide his MIL/DIP/ADM point production beyond whatever is fixed by the monarch in question, since effective rule depends not only on the monarch but also his support structure.

This could, for instance, be done via an evolution of the advisor and/or national idea system, thus ensuring that the gameplay feels different to the player based on which monarch he has in charge, while allowing the player to choose his own focus at a cost - and a significant cost in terms of opportunity cost - rather than constraining him to something mostly or possibly wholly beyond his control, like the monarch's stats.

Then again, it isn't as if Paradox doesn't have previous experience with character courts (CK, EU:Rome, HoI) or bureaucracy and different government forms. I'm sure they'll figure something out.
    Confused about how manpower is determined in EU4? Read my Manpower Guide

Finally got around to writing a list of my AARs in the inkwell.
    For those interested in Dominions 4 (SP or MP), we organize the Wrinkletoes games and answer general questions related to the game in this thread.
    Current ongoing Wrinkletoes 3 Dom4 game's list of players: linky.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gars View Post
    Yes but there is an upper limit on how many points you can keep stored.
    Excellent - so you can save up points for your long-term goals even if you're cursed with crap monarchs - at the expense of other areas, of course.

Rampant Lion Demi Moderator Seelmeister's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    V2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Excellent - so you can save up points for your long-term goals even if you're cursed with crap monarchs - at the expense of other areas, of course.
    I wouldn't imagine this would be possible, I'm sure the article mentioned that monarch points were monthly. Since they are tied to the abilities of the monarch, it wouldn't make much sense for them to survive the death and succession.

Pan Celticist Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

I wonder would it be possible to have it so merely owning too many non-core provinces would use up some of your ruler's points, making it harder to blob?

That trade sound SO good. I may just have to start in the rise of the Dutch Empire and play a little trading game with my other competitors

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty 2
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Happy to see that the new generation of Paradox games finally will get multiplayer that "wasn't designed in the 80s"
    "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - Patton

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    I wonder would it be possible to have it so merely owning too many non-core provinces would use up some of your ruler's points, making it harder to blob?
    that sounds like a v good idea, like administrative capability.
    Adding breadth and depth to the medieval aspects of economy, technology & the military - Magnate Lords A mod for CK2

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Seelmeister View Post
    I wouldn't imagine this would be possible, I'm sure the article mentioned that monarch points were monthly. Since they are tied to the abilities of the monarch, it wouldn't make much sense for them to survive the death and succession.
    Have you even read Captain Gars' post?

Interesting if the points get reset on succession. I guess this would prevent incompetent monarchs from doing things like westernising, but if the line of monarchs working towards that goal (read, stocking up ADM points) was long, why shouldn't he be the one to formally achieve it (read: spend stockpiled points and westernised) even if he was unremarkable?

Rampant Lion Demi Moderator Seelmeister's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    V2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I phrased my reply pretty badly there, sorry! I saw the post saying they could accumulate and that there would be an upper limit, I was just speculating as to whether they would reset on succession. I suppose it depends on what kind of time frame the goals you can spend the 'monarch points' on have. Westernisation is interesting, it of course has to be long term, likely over several generations of monarch. Traditionally this has been tied to technology, proximity to westernised nations and internal government policies (ie centralisation etc). I'd be very disappointed if this was replaced by a system where you saved up an arbitary amount of points and then 'spent' them to westernise. Seems very abstract to say that monarch x contributed to westernisation by saving up 6 admin points, rather than monarch x contributed by closing the technological gap between your state and your neighbour.

The quote I was referring to is from Johan in the Destructoid article;

So what we are trying to do is that in EU is you have the administrative, diplomatic, and military ability. So we’re making it so that each of these gives you points, then you use this points to do certain things. So if you have a really good monarch you get lots of points every month, these points are used for buying ideas, increasing your technology, making a province into a core, assaulting a fortress, and making a leader" Even building types are connected to monarch power.
    This seems to suggest that monarch points are for more short term things, building, seiges, good leaders etc. This would allow the game to feel very different from one monarch to the next, a good one spending these points fairly freely while when you're left with an undesirable ruler you have to be extra careful and perhaps reign in your ambitions, conentrating on domestic development or limited warfare. This would be undermined if you were able to store these points long term, averaging out the differences between the monarchs.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    The classy thing to do is to NOT point it out when make an idiot of myself. I meant cores and predetermined, of course.
    Sundays can be harsh sometimes.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries
    Nice article.

I'm curious about how republics and elections will work.

They were prepared to discuss the completely new trade system, monarch points, and the events system. Had I shipped them over more alcohol, I'm sure I could have gotten more out of them. I'm filled with regret.

Nice reference to the Balkan debates!

Edit: 'Static' trade routes? For some reason I don't like the sound of that...
    Last edited by Ivashanko; 12-08-2012 at 16:12.

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldLost Empire - ImmortalsPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 Beta
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Yeah, the trade routes are full static or are they created sort of how we had centers of trade? Some can die out and others can be created with money/whatever.
    Terra Universalis II
    For EU IV
    Another kind of whole world mod
    Magna Terra
    For EU Rome VV
    The way to be Imperator of all the Old World
    Umbra Spherae
    For Crusader Kings II
    Expand your faith and realm into all the Old World

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight

I would prefer if trade routes were player created...

Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Victoria 2

Will there be diplomatic trade "wars"? i.e. England and France competing by improving relations with Portugal to get access to Portugal's overseas imports?

Quote Originally Posted by Seelmeister View Post
    I phrased my reply pretty badly there, sorry! I saw the post saying they could accumulate and that there would be an upper limit, I was just speculating as to whether they would reset on succession. I suppose it depends on what kind of time frame the goals you can spend the 'monarch points' on have. Westernisation is interesting, it of course has to be long term, likely over several generations of monarch. Traditionally this has been tied to technology, proximity to westernised nations and internal government policies (ie centralisation etc). I'd be very disappointed if this was replaced by a system where you saved up an arbitary amount of points and then 'spent' them to westernise. Seems very abstract to say that monarch x contributed to westernisation by saving up 6 admin points, rather than monarch x contributed by closing the technological gap between your state and your neighbour.

The quote I was referring to is from Johan in the Destructoid article;

This seems to suggest that monarch points are for more short term things, building, seiges, good leaders etc. This would allow the game to feel very different from one monarch to the next, a good one spending these points fairly freely while when you're left with an undesirable ruler you have to be extra careful and perhaps reign in your ambitions, conentrating on domestic development or limited warfare. This would be undermined if you were able to store these points long term, averaging out the differences between the monarchs.
    Ideas and cores sound rather longt term to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast