+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What announcement of EU4 means for EU Rome (2)

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome Gold500k club

What announcement of EU4 means for EU Rome (2)

Guess there won't be a Rome 2 any time soon then. And probably no expansions for Rome 1 either. What do you think?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    MagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Well, Paradox has said that they have enough personnel to work on multiple projects at once. I don't believe they'd have the manpower for a full sequel while simultaneously working on EU4, and I'm not sure if Rome is popular enough to warrant the effort of an expansion right now.

That said, Johan has expressed interest in it, so we might get our wishes eventually. Plus, there seemed to be a lot of support for Rome II in the Project Truman hint threads, so it's possible that they might develop ideas parallel to making EU4. *Shrug*

(Ever the optimist...)
    EU: Rome, the way it should have been.
    Europa Imperialis Map Mod v0.1d

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteMagickaEuropa Universalis: Rome500k club

I was waiting for this thread

Well first off we'll have to wait for a little bit longer.
    Secondly all modding work hasn't yet gone down the drain and I don't yet have to get used to internet shopping to get Rome 2

I'm personally pretty confident that Rome 2 will eventually be developed but now PI have ensured their profits of next winter so before that I think there are very little chances even for the announcement.
    My modding stuff:
    Wave's modding guide:
    a tutorial for adding countries to EU: Rome, works with EU3 too!
    Wave's modding guide #2: Understanding and creating events

Ongoing AARs:
    Letters from wAAR - An experimental Rome AAR with Epigoni Mod
    Winner of the Best character writer of the week award 1/6/12
    This is SPARTA! Can the world be dominated by squads of 300 men swinging spears and crying the name of their home country?

Legions of Rome! RISE and show them all our might!

HoI AnthologyDeus VultDivine WindHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    I think if enough people who wanted Rome2 in the project Truman thread post in this thread post here maybe they will think about an expansion.

We'll know the game is done when it is add to "Classic Games Forum".

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Somehow I'm fearing the CK-syndrome, not getting a sequel for 10 or so years. As I see it, once EU4 is done it's probably time for HOI4, then maybe Victora 3, and why not CK3 while they are doing their recognizeable titles? Maybe a new franchise somewhere in there as well, then Rome 2 if we're lucky. Sure, I'm pessimistic but rather that than be too optimistic and hope for something that might not come for many years =/ At best we're probably looking at a game 2-3 years down the line, unless Paradox begin developing two new titles simultaneously.

EU3 CompleteMagickaRome Gold500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Hootieleece View Post
    I think if enough people who wanted Rome2 in the project Truman thread post in this thread post here maybe they will think about an expansion.

Well, loads of people posted in the "Who wants Rome 2?" thread and nothing happened.

That said, I'm still hopeful but I think it's getting harder and harder to stay optimistic about Rome 2 happening at all in the near future.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

'Regency' Mod for Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Comontorios View Post
    Well, loads of people posted in the "Who wants Rome 2?" thread and nothing happened.

That said, I'm still hopeful but I think it's getting harder and harder to stay optimistic about Rome 2 happening at all in the near future.
    The threads are pretty much community's own propaganda to feed themselves.. I know there was EU4 thread but Paradox for sure didn't choose the next game by counting the amount of posts in threads.
    I don't want to sound mean but it's like posting "We want OS XI" in apple forums and expecting them to develop it. It will come eventually, if you're lucky it will come soon and then it looks like it came due the thread but most likely they'll develop it when they need to and want to and that may take time.
    My modding stuff:
    Wave's modding guide:

Ongoing AARs:
    This is SPARTA! Can the world be dominated by squads of 300 men swinging spears and crying the name of their home country?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

"Johan Andersson: We got other projects that are not yet announced in the pipeline… and no its not HOI4! (Ed: Well… nuts)"

from: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/e...nterviews.html

There is a lot of time between now and q3 2013
    If you want to always be right,
    you need to always be prepared to change your mind.

it's surprising Johan said Rome did not sell well, but a while ago he said it was a bestseller for paradox... then i understand their reluctance at making Rome II. Still, hopefully one day... If Victoria and CK did not sell well but the sequels did, hopefully it can be the same for Rome
    Byzantine.Hellenistic.Ottoman.Sogdian

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldLost Empire - ImmortalsPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 Beta
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Johan said he wants to make a sequel, they will, they had big growth in the last years and I'm sure EUIV will be a huge sucess, so Rome will be the next big game.

I guess the other project should be a Vicky II expansion.
    Terra Universalis II
    For EU IV
    Another kind of whole world mod
    Magna Terra
    For EU Rome VV
    The way to be Imperator of all the Old World
    Umbra Spherae
    For Crusader Kings II
    Expand your faith and realm into all the Old World

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMajesty II CollectionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sengoku

For those that have not read the interview:

Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Strategy Informer: So, EU is on its fourth game name... not hard to imagine we'll be seeing sequels of one or two other titles as well *cough*Hearts of Iron 4*cough*... the industry at large seems to be suffering from a sense of sequel fatigue - do you think that will ever effect you guys?
    Johan Andersson: Yeah, fans love sequels... But we do non-sequels and people tend to not buy them (rome, sengoku)…
    I think from now on they will rather concentrate on sequels for their 4 main games.
    It would be a shame though if they didn't take advantage of next years Rome (TW) hype.

EU3 CompleteMagickaRome Gold500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
    I think from now on they will rather concentrate on sequels for their 4 main games.
    It would be a shame though if they didn't take advantage of next years Rome (TW) hype.
    If you want to interpret his quote the way you did then all he basically said was that they would continue to make more sequels, rather than creating another completely new game. However that doesn't exclude the possibility of a Rome 2.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

'Regency' Mod for Rome

I'm very disappointed to get announcement of EU4 instead of Rome 2

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Hootieleece View Post

Rome was in classic games forum, but then they reorganized the forums and there is no classic games forum anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
    For those that have not read the interview:

Interesting. Earlier Paradox has always claimed that Rome sold very well and was more popular than some of their other games, but now they are claiming that it's in same category with Sengoku. If this later statement is true and the previous statements were lies, then I don't see much future for Rome. I considered buying Sengoku, but game doesn't seem to offer anything CKII doesn't have (besides exotic map, but I'm more European history fan myself) and there's no announcements of expansions or any patch progress or anything which would change the situation. When it was published so close with CKII that they could be called twin games, then it's hardly a surprise that people buy the version which offers more content and gets expansions.
    Last edited by Olaus Petrus; 13-08-2012 at 07:37.
    "Reddite ergo quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo."

-Iesus Nazarenus

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I'm not pessimistic about having a Rome2, and sooner than making a new cycle (HoI4, Victoria3, CK3...).

People working in Their Finest Hour (HoI3 incoming expansion) would probably (and hopefully) take a new shot in Victoria2; but there are two other teams besides the EU4 one: the one working on March of the Eagles (released in Q1 2013, perhaps?) and the one working on CKII additions, which tasks could be handled by the expansion team once they're done with Their Finest Hour if Vicky 2 has to wait a little more for an expansion.

Having in mind 12-18 months of development, and the free slots at the end of 2012/beginning 2013 I'd say 2014 would be the year for Rome II (crossing fingers).
    Why do you sound surprised? I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America - Liz Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by Olaus Petrus View Post
    Rome was in classic games forum, but then they reorganized the forums and there is no classic games forum anymore.

Interesting. Earlier Paradox has always claimed that Rome sold very well and was more popular than some of their other games, but now they are claiming that it's in same category with Sengoku. If this later statement is true and the previous statements were lies, then I don't see much future for Rome. I considered buying Sengoku, but game doesn't seem to offer anything CKII doesn't have (besides exotic map, but I'm more European history fan myself) and there's no announcements of expansions or any patch progress or anything which would change the situation. When it was published so close with CKII that they could be called twin games, then it's hardly a surprise that people buy the version which offers more content and gets expansions.
    It's kinda funny how people talk about how well Rome sold and you'll never see the same opinion in one thread and nobody confirms it... I guess it must have sold well as I managed to find a physical copy of it (and later EU3) which is pretty rare in Paradox's case.
    Or perhaps that means it sold badly so they had to try other ways than gamersgate and other internet shopping..?
    My modding stuff:
    Wave's modding guide:

Ongoing AARs:

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    It's kinda funny how people talk about how well Rome sold and you'll never see the same opinion in one thread and nobody confirms it... I guess it must have sold well as I managed to find a physical copy of it (and later EU3) which is pretty rare in Paradox's case.
    Or perhaps that means it sold badly so they had to try other ways than gamersgate and other internet shopping..?
    People had the impression that Rome sold well, because of comments like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Actually Rome sold pretty damn well.
    And it was available on disc from the day 1. I pre-ordered collector's edition disc and I even got a nice Caesar bust with it.
    "Reddite ergo quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo."

-Iesus Nazarenus

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

And it was available on disc from the day 1. I pre-ordered collector's edition disc and I even got a nice Caesar bust with it.
    As the two games mentioned are in brackets it doesn't really sounds like it was Johan who said it, maybe the interviewer added that later on in order to shed some light on which two games were new franchises for Paradox? Maybe far-fetched, but I'm not into interviewing so I dunno what they can and can't do :P

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMajesty II CollectionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sengoku

Quote Originally Posted by Balor;
    Actually Rome sold pretty damn well.
    Dont know how old that statement is, but I guess it probabably sold well on early release only.
    I bet games like EU3 sold better over a longer term due to continuous expansions.
    Romes failure compared to the main games, was not because of lack of interest in this game timeline (not at all), it was mainly was due lack of dev support. The game just felt unfinished.
    If they had given Rome the same support they did with EU3, it would have become one of their top games.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    As I see it, once EU4 is done it's probably time for HOI4,
    Most likely not. I've seen multiple studio members saying that they are pretty fed up with WW2. Can't provide any direct quotes though, sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast